Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Architectural Studio

49 REPLIES 49
Message 1 of 50
Anonymous
797 Views, 49 Replies

Autodesk Architectural Studio

I am confused and concerned about the upcoming Autodesk product, "Autodesk
Architectural Studio"
http://www3.autodesk.com/adsk/section/0,,585585-123112,00.html

Autodesk says it is "conceptual phase" (software?) (Internet?), while
Architectural Desktop is "design software".

Isn't Desktop supposed to be sufficient? Will we need to spend thousands of
more dollars per station to do the conceptual design, or will this be a
small outlay? I went out on a limb to sell our department chief on giving
us Desktop 3 a few months ago (I'm thankful we got VIP).

Does this mean that Desktop, without Architectural Studio, will not progress
in its conceptual design capabilities, so we will have to buy Architectural
Studio?

If this is conceptual design software for architecture, I think it
reasonable that it be included in Desktop itself, or be only a small
additional expense.

We want to go the Autodesk route, but are becoming fatigued at the
increasing number of products Autodesk wants to neccesitate that we
purchase, as well as the dollars involved. Having said that, I do like the
idea of a pen-based sketch methodology - but not if a lot of dollars are
required.
49 REPLIES 49
Message 41 of 50
roberto_robert
in reply to: Anonymous

...Bravo Julian! what a perfectly eloquent and diplomatic response. I applaud you. I'm sure AS1 will be the "designers" software of choice in the new e-conony.....just one thing though. Designers "love" to design with "real" paper, pencil, red pencils, erasers, prisma colors, etc....and cad users love to use cad software such as the likes of ADT in order to create....of which I am both. Thank you for making it perfectly clear how AS1 will merge with ADT. I look forward to seeing a live demo at my local resellers office here in San Diego. I hope my reseller has the opportunity to show off this software to the local cad community. I'll be sure to have my front row tickets and my note pad and tape recorder to document all that the Autodesk rep has to showoff on this new and wonderful software.
Message 42 of 50
JMoore

Roberto, you seem more like someone who is eager to get into a fight than someone looking to voice an opinion or to make a statement. Julian is very knowledgeable in this area of ADT and AS1 and by no means was trying to attack you or your opinions. Yet you respond to people as they are children. Your sarchasm and cynicism are clearly evident. My organization has worked directly with Mario Guttman in order to develop routines for their ADT development. Mario's intent is to assist the men and women working in the "trenches" on thier ability to work within ADT. I feel that your evaluation of Mario is very slighted however, you are entitled to that belief if you so desire. ADT is like a Formula 1 sportscar. It is big, powerful and when all parts are working in harmony nothing can touch it. Right now there are a pieces that Autodesk can and will improve upon to enhance the functionality of ADT. Saying that the creation of AS1 has prevented Autodesk from working on ADT is like saying that if Porsche comes out with an SUV it will hamper their ability to enhance or otherwise refine their 911 sportscars. These are large companies and they have the ability to create other software packages or programs without treading upon other divisions. It sounds like you might be better off with a "hot-rod hyundai" software package since the F1 might be a bit much for your patience or needs right now. By the way, my organization has creted a "full-set or working documents" of a residential home in ADT (It is not a box). You can find the examples on the ADT install example CD. Highly effecient? No, but it is possible and we understand your concerns and pains with the software but many of these pains will be remedied in due time. Rome was not built in a single day.
Message 43 of 50
roberto_robert

I'm not asking to re-build Rome....that would be an impossible feat, just asking for a software to work properly. it's not much to ask especially after paying $3G's for it. My concerns and worries lie in the fact that yet...another different software is due out soon that is geared towards making "non-cad firm principals" work in a psuedo-cad environment. I can just see it now...principals of firms going back down to a drafting/drawing level instead of being out on the street bringing in more work for the firm. I apologize if you and others have misread and misunderstood my commentaries. By no way shape or form was I trying to be cynical nor sarcastic. Just trying to get some direction as to the future of ADT as it relates to this new AS1 product. I'm not the only one who is concerned about this. You should check the other topics posted as well. Just today..the topic posted as "Any ideas?" about another cad user "wanting desparately" to make ADT work yet has spent countless of wasted hours while trying to create a simple plan. it's those kinds of scenario's that make me wonder as to why Autodesk cannot simply improve on this great software? I've spoken to numerous colleges of mine in this field and they all cannot believe that not only is ADT3.3 coming out in such a short timeframe but that yet another software geared towards the "non-cad" users in firms is being developed as well. Again, I apologize for your inability to understand my commentaries but evidence in these newsgroups are clear enough signs of users frustrations.
Message 44 of 50
JMoore

Robert, no worries my friend. The internet and email is a great communication tool however it is very easy to take a different twist to what point an individual is trying to make. Regardless, I agree that ADT is very difficult to work on in an effecient manner. It is my understnding that the ADT R3.3 release really has very few capabilities added to it. From what I understand, and I could be wrong on this, but Autodesk this release is really geared at correcting a few problems or "bugs" (for the lack of a better word) wihtin ADT R3. We work closely with Autodesk and like yourself we desire for ADT to be the 800 pound gorilla in the CAD market. I feel certain from talking to people at Autodesk that they are most certainaly aware of the problems and concerns from its users. And I assure you that they have every intention of enhancing the userability of ADT. I am not sure the of the impact that AS1 will have on the market. I assume that it will best be played out in the next few months. It is however an awesome product to see in a demonstration. I love to draw and I got to toy with it on a plasma screen at the Autodesk One Team Conference. If only I could get a plasma screen now! Loved it!
Message 45 of 50
Anonymous

Actually for ADT 3 (or ADT 3.3), the real value is coming from the
performance and productivity enhancements in the new base platform AutoCAD
2002. Any bug fixes that are going into ADT 3.3 are planned to be released
as a service pack for ADT 3.

Just wanted to make sure the intent was clear 🙂

--
chris yanchar
aec market group
autodesk, inc.

"JMoore" wrote in message
news:f04f41d.43@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...

(snip) From what I understand, and I could be wrong on this, but Autodesk
this release is really geared at correcting a few problems or "bugs" (for
the lack of a better word) wihtin ADT R3.
(snip)
Message 46 of 50
Anonymous

Boy, this thread is wandering all over the place, eh?

We were counting on and hoping that the bug fixes would be included in
ADT3.3... are you saying that it will be even later that we will have a
working style manager, etc.?

C#
"chris yanchar - autodesk" wrote in
message news:50043AD2D6EE6562E6B352B68E53CD36@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Actually for ADT 3 (or ADT 3.3), the real value is coming from the
> performance and productivity enhancements in the new base platform AutoCAD
> 2002. Any bug fixes that are going into ADT 3.3 are planned to be
released
> as a service pack for ADT 3.
>
> Just wanted to make sure the intent was clear 🙂
>
> --
> chris yanchar
> aec market group
> autodesk, inc.
>
>
> "JMoore" wrote in message
> news:f04f41d.43@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
>
> (snip) From what I understand, and I could be wrong on this, but Autodesk
> this release is really geared at correcting a few problems or "bugs" (for
> the lack of a better word) wihtin ADT R3.
> (snip)
>
>
Message 47 of 50
Anonymous

I think what Chris is saying is that numerous things are to be fixed as part
of the 3.3 release (I don't have a full list, but this includes the Style
Manager problems)
All or most of these fixes will subsequently be made available as a patch to
version 3, so that we are not forcing you to upgrade to 3.3 if your concern
is just the bug fixes

mark webb, autodesk
Message 47 of 50
Anonymous

No, I'm not saying that. Let me rephrase: "Any bug fixes that are going
into ADT 3.3 are ALSO planned to be released as a service pack for ADT 3
(separate from ADT 3.3)."

--
chris yanchar
aec market group
autodesk, inc.

"Craig Sharp" wrote in message
news:68833F8DD7789377A0F00894EAB77B7A@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Boy, this thread is wandering all over the place, eh?
>
> We were counting on and hoping that the bug fixes would be included in
> ADT3.3... are you saying that it will be even later that we will have a
> working style manager, etc.?
>
> C#
> "chris yanchar - autodesk" wrote in
> message news:50043AD2D6EE6562E6B352B68E53CD36@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Actually for ADT 3 (or ADT 3.3), the real value is coming from the
> > performance and productivity enhancements in the new base platform
AutoCAD
> > 2002. Any bug fixes that are going into ADT 3.3 are planned to be
> released
> > as a service pack for ADT 3.
Message 49 of 50
Anonymous

Whoops, I should have noticed Chris' reply 🙂

mark webb, autodesk
Message 50 of 50
Anonymous

Ok. Whew... thanks guys.

C#
"mark webb, autodesk" wrote in message
news:f04f41d.48@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Whoops, I should have noticed Chris' reply 🙂
>
> mark webb, autodesk
>
>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums