Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior

Tony Harwood
Message 11 of 18 (26 Views)

Re: Accesing style PSD in object PSD

09-22-2004 06:59 AM in reply to: timber-design
Hi Cameron,

Unfortunately, I live in Florida in the U.S. I'll go have a beer anyway and celebrate with you. David Koch was the one the guys that was helping me in the past. I was hoping that when I reposted the message, he would have taken over. Maybe you can make another post now that you have 75% of what you need and they will lend a helping hand. I have another person that I can go to that knows VBA. I'll see if he can help. Good luck on your end!

Tony H.
Distinguished Contributor
David_W._Koch
Message 12 of 18 (26 Views)

09-22-2004 08:58 AM in reply to: timber-design
You were doing such a great job on your own, no need for me to "take over".

As to the third code, you might be able to automate that as well, if you use the same numeric codes for the same member sizes on all projects by using a formula property to return the appropriate value based on the member size values. If not, unless the number of different codes is relatively small, it may not be worth the effort to customize it for each project and adding the value manually may be the way to go.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
*Tony H.
Message 13 of 18 (26 Views)

09-22-2004 12:35 PM in reply to: timber-design
I know you can do a schedule that quantifies, but how would you concatenate that with the other schedule data from the psd's? Is it possible? Is that what you had in mind? Tony "David_W._Koch" wrote in message news:9700331.1095868755256.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > You were doing such a great job on your own, no need for me to "take over". > > As to the third code, you might be able to automate that as well, if you use the same numeric codes for the same member sizes on all projects by using a formula property to return the appropriate value based on the member size values. If not, unless the number of different codes is relatively small, it may not be worth the effort to customize it for each project and adding the value manually may be the way to go. > > -- > > David Koch > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
David_W._Koch
Message 14 of 18 (26 Views)

09-22-2004 03:22 PM in reply to: timber-design
Here is what I was thinking. I did not look at any of the posted files and I am not testing anything below to confirm that it works; take this as an outline of an approach.

Mass elements have automatic properties for height, length and width; depending upon how the mass element was created and placed, these would correspond to the cross sectional dimensions and the length of the timber. Given those values in a Property Set Definition [PSD] and a standardized set of coded number assignments, you could set up a formula property to return the code value. Another formula property could then concatenate the location, type and size properties into one property that could be displayed in a tag or schedule. Note that the periods at the beginnigs of lines below are only to force the line to indent and would not be used in an actual formula.

Select Case "[Width]"
...Case "75"
......Select Case "[Height]"
.........Case "100"
............Select Case "[Length]"
...............Case "2000" RESULT = "01"
...............Case "3000" RESULT = "02"
...............Case "4000" RESULT = "03"
...............Case "5000" RESULT = "04"
...............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR01"
............End Select
.........Case "200"
...............Case "2000" RESULT = "05"
...............Case "3000" RESULT = "06"
...............Case "4000" RESULT = "07"
...............Case "5000" RESULT = "08"
...............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR02"
............End Select
.........Case "300"
...............Case "2000" RESULT = "09"
...............Case "3000" RESULT = "10"
...............Case "4000" RESULT = "11"
...............Case "5000" RESULT = "12"
...............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR03"
............End Select
.........Case Else RESULT = "ERROR04"
......End Select
...Case "150"
......Select Case "[Height]"
.........Case "100"
...............Case "2000" RESULT = "13"
...............Case "3000" RESULT = "14"
...............Case "4000" RESULT = "15"
...............Case "5000" RESULT = "16"
...............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR05"
............End Select
.........Case "200"
...............Case "2000" RESULT = "17"
...............Case "3000" RESULT = "18"
...............Case "4000" RESULT = "19"
...............Case "5000" RESULT = "20"
...............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR06"
............End Select
.........Case "300"
...............Case "2000" RESULT = "21"
...............Case "3000" RESULT = "22"
...............Case "4000" RESULT = "23"
...............Case "5000" RESULT = "24"
...............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR07"
............End Select
.........Case Else RESULT = "ERROR08"
......End Select
...Case Else RESULT = "ERROR09"
End Select

I would imagine that the cross sectional dimensions would tend to be standard numbers across most projects, but the lengths could vary greatly and could be the downfall of this suggestion. But if it could work, this could be in the style-based PSD, avoiding the issue of referencing data across PSD types.

--

David Koch
*Tony H.
Message 15 of 18 (26 Views)

09-23-2004 05:50 AM in reply to: timber-design
Ahh, , "Master" David!! You blew my mind with this one. This is why you needed to "take over". Would you have to 2000, 3000, & 4000 #'s to be the lengths of the members? Tony "David_W._Koch" wrote in message news:1767428.1095891794188.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Here is what I was thinking. I did not look at any of the posted files and I am not testing anything below to confirm that it works; take this as an outline of an approach. > > Mass elements have automatic properties for height, length and width; depending upon how the mass element was created and placed, these would correspond to the cross sectional dimensions and the length of the timber. Given those values in a Property Set Definition [PSD] and a standardized set of coded number assignments, you could set up a formula property to return the code value. Another formula property could then concatenate the location, type and size properties into one property that could be displayed in a tag or schedule. Note that the periods at the beginnigs of lines below are only to force the line to indent and would not be used in an actual formula. > > Select Case "[Width]" > ..Case "75" > .....Select Case "[Height]" > ........Case "100" > ...........Select Case "[Length]" > ..............Case "2000" RESULT = "01" > ..............Case "3000" RESULT = "02" > ..............Case "4000" RESULT = "03" > ..............Case "5000" RESULT = "04" > ..............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR01" > ...........End Select > ........Case "200" > ...........Select Case "[Length]" > ..............Case "2000" RESULT = "05" > ..............Case "3000" RESULT = "06" > ..............Case "4000" RESULT = "07" > ..............Case "5000" RESULT = "08" > ..............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR02" > ...........End Select > ........Case "300" > ...........Select Case "[Length]" > ..............Case "2000" RESULT = "09" > ..............Case "3000" RESULT = "10" > ..............Case "4000" RESULT = "11" > ..............Case "5000" RESULT = "12" > ..............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR03" > ...........End Select > ........Case Else RESULT = "ERROR04" > .....End Select > ..Case "150" > .....Select Case "[Height]" > ........Case "100" > ...........Select Case "[Length]" > ..............Case "2000" RESULT = "13" > ..............Case "3000" RESULT = "14" > ..............Case "4000" RESULT = "15" > ..............Case "5000" RESULT = "16" > ..............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR05" > ...........End Select > ........Case "200" > ...........Select Case "[Length]" > ..............Case "2000" RESULT = "17" > ..............Case "3000" RESULT = "18" > ..............Case "4000" RESULT = "19" > ..............Case "5000" RESULT = "20" > ..............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR06" > ...........End Select > ........Case "300" > ...........Select Case "[Length]" > ..............Case "2000" RESULT = "21" > ..............Case "3000" RESULT = "22" > ..............Case "4000" RESULT = "23" > ..............Case "5000" RESULT = "24" > ..............Case Else RESULT = "ERROR07" > ...........End Select > ........Case Else RESULT = "ERROR08" > .....End Select > ..Case Else RESULT = "ERROR09" > End Select > > I would imagine that the cross sectional dimensions would tend to be standard numbers across most projects, but the lengths could vary greatly and could be the downfall of this suggestion. But if it could work, this could be in the style-based PSD, avoiding the issue of referencing data across PSD types. > > -- > > David Koch > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
David_W._Koch
Message 16 of 18 (26 Views)

09-23-2004 06:42 AM in reply to: timber-design
That is the problem with trying to set up a formula that returns a code for a given member size, including length. You have to know all of the possible combinations you will have up front. I made up the 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 lengths for the example. Those may not exist on a real project. For sloped roof rafters on a complex roof, the lengths may be different for different projects, in which case you would have to customize the formula for each project. Whether that would be worth the trouble would depend on how many different lengths there are, and how hard it would be to anticipate what those lengths would be.

You could modify the approach in the sample and use a mathematical check on the length. For example, if the length is less than 1000, assign a certain code. If the length is more than 1000 but less than 2000, assign another code, etc. But if the code needs to convey an exact length, that may not be acceptable.

Another approach would be to assign a member size code that only denotes the cross sectional dimensions and then append an additional number showing the actual length.

--

David Koch
*Tony H.
Message 17 of 18 (26 Views)

09-23-2004 06:50 AM in reply to: timber-design
David, I think the last option is the way to go, usnig the length in inches as the last code number. Thenks for all you help. I hope Cameron get all this too. Tony "David_W._Koch" wrote in message news:32439816.1095946967137.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > That is the problem with trying to set up a formula that returns a code for a given member size, including length. You have to know all of the possible combinations you will have up front. I made up the 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 lengths for the example. Those may not exist on a real project. For sloped roof rafters on a complex roof, the lengths may be different for different projects, in which case you would have to customize the formula for each project. Whether that would be worth the trouble would depend on how many different lengths there are, and how hard it would be to anticipate what those lengths would be. > > You could modify the approach in the sample and use a mathematical check on the length. For example, if the length is less than 1000, assign a certain code. If the length is more than 1000 but less than 2000, assign another code, etc. But if the code needs to convey an exact length, that may not be acceptable. > > Another approach would be to assign a member size code that only denotes the cross sectional dimensions and then append an additional number showing the actual length. > > -- > > David Koch > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
timber-design
Message 18 of 18 (26 Views)

09-27-2004 10:53 AM in reply to: timber-design
Hi Tony & David,

Sorry, missed that.... got to start using a news reader so that I can track posts.... just going in through the web portal at the mo..... moves pretty fast!!!!

You guys are right..... on the whole each project is using different timber sizes so using the length in inches could be a good option for imperial users. Metric users will probably need to go manual or divide the length by a factor to get sensible figure for the last ref no.

I like what you have suggested and I'm sure there is application for it beyond this question. Many thanks.

Cheers,

Cameron.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community