Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT6 - Wall Priorities - Two layers of GWB

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
eviele
304 Views, 12 Replies

ADT6 - Wall Priorities - Two layers of GWB

So.

I'm 95% certain I'm being faithful to ADT's prescribed wall priorities. I've checked and double checked our standard wall styles. I use the project standards function to keep all wall styles consistent throughout the office.

...but we still seem to have wall cleanup/priority issues.

The majority of the issues seem to come from walls with two layers of GWB on one side meeting walls with one layer of GWB.

Two things:

1. Is anyone else having this kind of problem? Little shrinkwrap line segments that show where these two wall types meet?

2. Rant - I swear cleanups were easier on earlier releases. We did a 340,000SF courthouse project on ADT3.3 and even though the process of walls cleaning up was frustrating we ALWAYS got the walls to look the way we wanted. That's saying something considering the many different wall types required for a courthouse building type. With ADT6 I'm convinced we've had more problems and consequently more frustrated users.

I'm convinced I tell ya.... Message was edited by: eviele
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: eviele

Do you have an incremented priority for the second layer of GWB? An example of what I'm using is: 1200 for all the single layers and 1210 for the second layer.

You should not have that stray shrinkwrap if you've follow Paul Aubin's golden rules for cleanup as he's listed in his MADT series. These will (almost) never let you go wrong.

- Sean D. Burke
Autodesk Architectural Desktop Certified Expert
Message 3 of 13
eviele

yar.

incremented to 1210.
same layer of drywall and same priority as ADT supplied.

Paul who?

- just kiddin', his rules for cleanup are gospel here.
too bad not everyone keeps the faith.

I'll try and post an example... Message was edited by: eviele
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

My experience has been the opposite with the newer releases. I've been having an easier time cleaning up walls with each version.

If it doesn't work, MERGE everything! Just kidding. What a disasted that can be. Kinda like pulling a thread on a sweater - you're not done until it's all in a big pile on the floor.

I'd love to see the example.
Message 5 of 13
eviele

Double drat.

Now I'm wicked confused.
Could someone please tell me if you have two layers of drywall what the outer layer is according to the original ADT content?

I might've modified the original content a little...

Working from the stud out what should the values be?
Stud - 500
GWB - 12XX
GWB - 12XX
Message 6 of 13
eviele

Well....3.3, 4 and 5 worked well for us.
6 just seems different.

In any case....how would you deal with the enclosed images?
CL-01 to CL-03 show three walls converging with the wall graph display showing. The walls with a single component of GWB on each side have the priorities set to 1200. The walls with two layers of GWB have the outside layer set to 1210 and the inner layer set to 1200.

The images CL-04 to CL-06 show the same condition with the priorities switched on the two component GWB wall, so the outer layer is 1200 and the inner layer is 1210. This is the method we had originally started with...
CL-07 then shows what happens when we add a body modifier to fill in the square hole caused by the wall cleanups. It looks okay, but when plotted that stray line which shows up on the shrinkwrap wall layer and consequently prints boldly annoys the higher ups to no end.

I appreciate any and all responses as I clearly could use a refresher on my wall cleanups and priorities....

....and I thought I had the best methods figured out....
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

CL-03 shows an endcap on the top left wall. Perhaps overriding the endcap to use Standard, will take care of the issue. Also, if you pull that cleanup radius out a little larger, to encapsulate the shrinkwraps, it should work as you expect.

CL-07 looks mostly there. Not sure why the gyp would not create a line where it terminates at the stud.

I have to admit, for a condition that is so simple, it was not easy to solve. Sometimes, you got to merge. I cheated a little by moving the baselines away from the intersection - see attached.
- Sean
Message 8 of 13
eviele

I guess my point is that it isn't really easy to solve for the users. They're a bit frustrated.

I used to think it was easier, but perhaps not.
Perhaps it was easier for me, but it's hard to train.
Perhaps I'm looking back through rose colored glasses.

Perhaps it's Miller Time.

Thanks for peeking at this stuff Sean.
Just so you know, the endcaps were the ones from ADT's default styles. That's all OOTB stuff and pulling out the radius was a no go.

Can I trouble you for one more thing?
Can you just verify that the OOTB standard for the outer layer of drywall is 1200?

Or is it 1210?

Thanks and have a good Easter weekend.

I'll see you at the starting line of the marathon, right?
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Well, I guess that's been the most difficult thing - training how to deal with wall cleanup situations that just don't want to behave. With 2007, I hope to see some relief - don't know... Even Revit 9 implemented improvements to its wall cleanups. I guess somebody up north thinks we design simple boxes using one wall style.

Yes, 1200 is always the inner layer and 1210 is the outermost layer for that style by default.

Sadly, no. My company doesn't get Patriots Day off. 😞
- S
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

You have a good weekend too. Have a drink for me. I'm stuck here for a little while longer.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

eviele wrote:
> I'm 95% certain I'm being faithful to ADT's prescribed wall
> priorities.

I actually ignore that system.
not very intuitive, I think.

I number my Wall Components by CSI number.
Works for me...

(I also prefix all of my Material Styles in this way, as well...)

> 1. Is anyone else having this kind of problem? Little shrinkwrap line
> segments that show where these two wall types meet?
Yes, occasionally...

But I've let go.

I view the plans as a low-level detail dwg (similar to Building elevations
and sections...) where the graphics are not literal. What I mean is: if a
little stray line encroaches into the middle of the end of a Wall due to a
cleanup anomoly, 9 times out of 10 I don't loose any sleep over it. If it's
a critical juncture, there'll be a detail of it somewhere else in the
Documents. I know, I'm probably an *excellent* candidtate for switching over
to Revit with that attidude... But seriously, That doesn't even bother
me; unless it is agregious enough that it actually *would* throw the
Contrator. *Then* it needs fixing. But if it's just anal-ness; I just don't
have the saa for it...
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:07:15 +0000, Corey A. Layton wrote:

>I number my Wall Components by CSI number.
>Works for me...
>(I also prefix all of my Material Styles in this way, as well...)

*light bulb goes poof*

Excellent ideas!

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 13 of 13
eviele

Interesting approach to the wall priorities.
Me like. Message was edited by: eviele

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report