Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

working with layers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sarahmolly2
1127 Views, 4 Replies

working with layers

im trying to break a drawing into different layers.  everything is currently on one layer.  im not used to this program, but i want to be able click an entity and have it automatically switch to that layer once it is already broken up into individual layers.  i also cant figure out how to hide entities so that it is easier to select other entities around it.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Fred9002
in reply to: sarahmolly2

This is a matter of building fluency with the entire not very well documented and not very intuitive layers section.  Too much for one question.  But a few notes:

Through the layers dialog box you can set layers to be shown or hidden, locked or unlocked. 

To switch the layer of object(s), select them and then switch to the new layer.  But you can't already be in the new layer. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

Message 3 of 5
StevenMac

Can you post an example image? Picture tells a thousand words.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2nsc2sn.jpg

1. With the correct layer selected (drop down list)
  2. click the 'select direct' tool
  3. left click the drawing enitity you want to move*
  4. then left click the layer name to move it to that layer
  5. with your enitites placed onto a layer you can then turn off the layer with the lightbulb***

*You can hold down the SHIFT key to select multiple entities, or drag a box** around multiple entities to select them in one go.

**A box dragged "down and right" will select only objects completely enclosed in that area.

**A box dragged "up and left" will select ALL objects touching the box.

***You need to highlight a new layer in the drop-down list as you can't turn off a layer you're currently using

Message 4 of 5
sarahmolly2
in reply to: StevenMac

thanks for the help.  i was able to break my drawing up on to separate layers.   I still am having a few problems with drawing on separate layers when starting a new project. 

Message 5 of 5
Fred9002

The core item is to select the layer that you want the item to be in and then draw it. That puts it in that layer. 

Sincerely,

Fred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report