Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printing half-size on y-axis on HP4480 and HP2510 deskjets

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
fredbarb
692 Views, 4 Replies

printing half-size on y-axis on HP4480 and HP2510 deskjets

I inadvertently posted this as a reply to an earlier subject, and there was no response, so I'm posting this as a new problem.

I've been using Autosketch for years ( in the 1980's), but I have found that the recent drawings have printed half size  in one dimension.  I assumed that the problem was scaling  of some sort, but when I printed a drawing from a file that printed successfully in 2012, it too was similarly shrunk in the y direction.  I have changed my printer within the last 6 months from an HP1300 all-in-one to an HP4480 and then an HP2510.  Is this a print driver problem?  Or is it possible to have x and y axes at different scales?

What's the solution?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
StevenMac
in reply to: fredbarb

Sounds like an issue with the printer driver. Wonder if an email to a sopport person would get you anywhere?

A quick and dirty solution might be to 'print to pdf' (PDF Creator, say) and physically print the PDF out.

Message 3 of 5
fredbarb
in reply to: StevenMac

I'm one of those idiots who doesn't throw stuff out. I collected my original 1350 cd and the printer, uninstalled the new printer, reinstalled the old one. Bingo! Autosketch prints absolutely fine - even the cartridges in the old printer were fine. The problem seems to be that
a.. I think that autosketch doesn't allow different x-y scales. I think they have to be 'natural'.
b.. autosketch comes as a no option cd input - plug and play - no accounting of printer makes or models
c.. the latest HP printers all load similarly with a 'quick' installation, whereas the HP1350 takes ten minutes to load during installation
d.. I don't know whether autosketch10 comes with a variable x-y scale option
e.. I want to be able to skew the attached sketch as a grouped entity - I can stretch it , but I can't skew it
It will be interesting to hear your comments
fred
Message 4 of 5
StevenMac
in reply to: fredbarb

You can sorta skew an object by bastardising the isometric 3D tool. Note that your object(s) must be orientated so the skew occurs vertically - play with the tool, you'll quickly see what I mean.

VIEW > TOOLBAR > 3D EFFECTS

Select your objects and press one of the three buttons that become available on that toolbar. Click somewhere on your page for the skew to occur.

I don't ever skew things (I rotate lines manually) so have never needed such a tool.

Message 5 of 5
fredbarb
in reply to: StevenMac

Thanks for your reply. What I was trying to do was, after creating an array of tiles (say 8x6), to shrink the top edge of the array, either symmetrically, or asymmetrically. This would give me a one-point perspective view of a set of floor tiles. I want to see whether the red ellipses that are formed all have their minor axes vertical. { By means of skewing, every circle becomes an ellipse touching the sides of the old squares at what was the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. ( I'm just investigating an aspect of perspective drawing - I'm a retired structural engineer - university lecturer - artist ) }
Autosketch will by rubber-stamping create the array in three easy steps, but the end result is just a rectangular array. So far, having solved one set of prblems by reinstating my old printer, it's easier for me to print the array on an A3 or A2 sheet and photograph it and then photoshop the result.
Best regards
Fred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report