AutoSketch

NHaacke
Message 1 of 10 (800 Views)

making continuous line drawings in Autosketch

800 Views, 9 Replies
05-21-2011 08:18 PM

i use autosketch to draw patterns for computerized quilting machines.  i have to go back and make the drawing all connected in one continous line.  which is very time consuming.  Am i dreaming to ask if there is a way after the drawing is done to ask autosketch to give to the quickest way from point A to point B in the the drawing?

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 2 of 10 (798 Views)

Re: making continuous line drawings in Autosketch

05-21-2011 08:48 PM in reply to: NHaacke
Feel free to attach an example drawing (rename the file extension to .doc or .zip to bypass forum filter)
NHaacke
Message 3 of 10 (783 Views)

05-23-2011 09:20 AM in reply to: NHaacke

i don't know how to save it as a Doc or zip  but for example i drew an angle fish in autosketch now i have to connect all the lines so the machine can stitch the angle fish out so i have to go in and connect all the lines into one continuous line throughout the entire fish and yes sometimes i will back over a few lines which is ok but very time consuming so it would be nice to tell auto sketch ok start here and give me the quickest way through this drawing .

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 4 of 10 (779 Views)

05-23-2011 01:35 PM in reply to: NHaacke

Right click a file -> rename -> edit extension like this:

drawing_name.SKF

becomes

drawing_name.doc

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/windows-show-extensions.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Show-or-hide-file-name-extensions

NHaacke
Message 5 of 10 (776 Views)

05-23-2011 07:08 PM in reply to: NHaacke

Autosketch does give you the option to do this

NHaacke
Message 6 of 10 (774 Views)

05-23-2011 07:15 PM in reply to: NHaacke

see if this works

NHaacke
Message 7 of 10 (759 Views)

05-25-2011 11:07 AM in reply to: NHaacke

Steven did you give up on me? i attached a piper jet...

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 8 of 10 (756 Views)

05-25-2011 02:06 PM in reply to: NHaacke

So this is why my inbox is filling up!

Unfortunately this is a traveling salesman problem and it would take a program far more sophisticated than 'sketch to solve it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

I need you to attach that skf so I can open it myself, and not a picture of it.

NHaacke
Message 9 of 10 (751 Views)

05-25-2011 09:43 PM in reply to: NHaacke

Sorry about your inbox when i try to insert a skf it tells me there is an error i must not be understanding you on how to save them to get them to you.  i have reinserted 2 files for you to look at one is a sea horse that is partially connected so you can see how I do it the blue is the connected part the black is the ruff drawing that still needs to be refined and connected. or (trim joined) i also thought it would be nice for you to see a completed drawing that is already trim joined and already works beautifully as a quilting pattern...see attached  on the piper jets the quilting starts where i have inserted first and stops or connects to the next one where i have put last.  i will create a ruff drawing, then start connecting it line by line and as i connect it i turn it from black to blue so i know where I have done. i just work my way around the drawing refining and connecting it until i get back to where i started or where I want it to end then i use the trim join feature to see if it all joins ok. then i save it as a .dxf ectention and pull it into my quilting program where it converts it to a QLI extention for my machine.

the time consuming part is joining it. i just thought it would be nice if i could refine the drawing without joining it and give it a command that would then ask it the quickest way from first to last then join it the way it tells me..... maybe I am dreaming...  i did insert the two drawing they had the extention just the way you told me to put them in and it would not accept them... i don't how else to get them to you...

Distinguished Contributor
000jdi
Message 10 of 10 (594 Views)

06-04-2011 10:05 AM in reply to: NHaacke

HI

You can use the trim join tool to join a bunch of connected lines into 1 polyline.   selct trim join tool hold down ctrl and pick a line

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community