Did you mean: 

drafix user looking for autosketch answers

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
s4oaks
1131 Views, 11 Replies

drafix user looking for autosketch answers

I am another long time Drafix Cad Pro user.  I also like it for it's simplicity

I can create the simple drawings we need in Drafix much quicker than in autocad.

I understand that autosketch runs on essentially the same engine as Drafix.

I have had some problems with the symbl libraries and I understand that there may be issues with operating systems newer than XP.  So, i guess it is time to move from the stone age.

I have a few questions

Will Autosketch supprot the use of a tablet (DrawingBoard III)?

I created hundreds of symbols over the years  will they import into Autosketch?

Can symbols be created in Autosketch?

Can Autosketch use an overlay? (Drafix was supposed to but I only could use the very simplest of bitmaps.)

Are the keyboard shortcuts such as the snap commands the same?

Thanks,

Doug

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hnsmith
in reply to: s4oaks

Doug,
You may not find many Drafix users here, I started  in about 1993 or 1994 after ADSK purchased DrafixCAD and released it as AutoSketch5 (maybe there was a V1 thru V4, I wouldn't know about that. Lots of chatter about V5 here - on the NNTP side of course. As I remember ADSK in their wisdom decided to drop the macro feature that everyone loved, so that's not available anymore. A new feature I guess.
As to your other questions, here's what i can offer.

Will Autosketch supprot the use of a tablet (DrawingBoard III)?

There is a tablet mode, at least in the version I have (V9) so that should be OK.

I created hundreds of symbols over the years  will they import into Autosketch?

This is tricky. There were a few versions of AutoSketch (maybe V6 and V7)  that were NOT back-compatible vis-a-vis actual drawings. It's a guess about your symbols. I might suggest that you upload one of them to this group and let's see if someone can open them as either drawings or actual symbols, possibly by just changing the extension on the file. If they can at least be opened, they can be saved back as a symbol. A real PITA if you have many, but could be do-able.

Can symbols be created in Autosketch?

Yes, no problem with that. Easy.

Can Autosketch use an overlay? (Drafix was supposed to but I only could use the very simplest of bitmaps.)

Best to use a raster-to-vector program to do this. I was never completely successful in simple overlays, but I'm not really current these days.  Someone else (Rod?) may chime in on this.

Are the keyboard shortcuts such as the snap commands the same?

Don't know if they're the same, but there are MANY keyboard shortcuts available in ASketch. Hard to believe that they'd be changed. Who knows? You may have to re-learn them coming from Drafix. Easy enough though.

Thanks,

YW

_h

Message 3 of 12
s4oaks

Thanks for the quick response.

It sounds like leaving the stone age may not be so painfull after all.

I am not sure how i would send a symbol.   i suppose I could just attach a drawing with some in it.

I tried to attach a drawing to this post but apparently this posting software won't accept a .cad file extension.

One more question.

Can portions(selections) from drafix be cut an pasted into Autosketch.  If so. that may be the simple solution. If I can copy and paste a symbol or even break it down into its base entities and copy and paste. then create the symbol, that would be fine.

I don't do a lot of drawigs, and most are simple but, i do like the symbols, as much of the work is repetitive.

Thanks again for the feedback

Doug

Message 4 of 12
hnsmith

I am not sure how i would send a symbol.   i suppose I could just attach a drawing with some in it.

I tried to attach a drawing to this post but apparently this posting software won't accept a .cad file extension.

I suggest you upload just one symbol and zip it first with either WinZip or RAR or whatever program you use for this. Sometimes file extensions can be interpreted as executable and won't attach. JPGs will upload no problem FYI. An alternate would be to send me the file directly, my email addy is unfortunately public on this kakmaymie forum - yet another negative about this web bulletin board.

One more question.

Can portions(selections) from drafix be cut an pasted into Autosketch.  If so. that may be the simple solution. If I can copy and paste a symbol or even break it down into its base entities and copy and paste. then create the symbol, that would be fine.

If I can open your file, it's moot. No way to tell otherwise. You can tell I have time on my hands.

_h

Message 5 of 12
s4oaks
in reply to: hnsmith

hnsmith,

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately "this kakmaymie forum" as you put it doesn't liek .zip or .rar either. If you want to email me directly my email is djameson@foothlll-dewatering.com.  I don't worry too much about it bieng "out there" it has been "out there" for so long that without filters i was getting 500-700 junk emails per day.  Thank God for good junk mail filters(now only one or 2/day)

Thanks

Message 6 of 12
hnsmith

That email doesn't work

_h

Message 7 of 12
s4oaks

I double checked the address. it looks right.  be sure that you use a dash not an underline, or even better copy and paste. It has been working since sometime just after Al Gore invented the internet.

Did you get a bounce or an unknown or what?

Thanks

Message 8 of 12
hnsmith

FWIW, I believe the email addy above is indeed incorrect. Do you mean foothill instead of foothlll? I suppose. But why not just send me file or symbols instead of this intermediate business?

Your choice.

_h

Message 9 of 12
s4oaks

Sorry about that it looked like foothill to me.  need to get eyes checked.

djameson@foothill-dewatering.com

Message 10 of 12
hnsmith

Just to close this out, I recieved a few files created in DrafixCAD from Doug and indeed ASketch V9 opened them with no problem, both the symbol and the complete drawing, all dimensions intact. Just so's ya know.

Anyone know what's going on with Paul Jackson? He usually emails me with the ins and outs, but I haven't heard from him in quite a while.

_h

Message 11 of 12
s4oaks

Harvey,

Thank you, thank you , thank you.

I just got Autosketch 9 and I am ........almost lost for words.

since it is based on the same engine as the "old" drafix that i am used to I am already up and running and in high gear.

There are a few little changes that i will have to learn, but in general it should be an easy transition.

I have already created a couple symbol libraries. one of my symbols and a couple designed for specific drwing types.

I really appreciate your help on this.  I had tried to use Autocad Lt and also 2000 which nearly drove me nuts, but for the simple drawings I do, Autosketch is perfect. 

Thanks,

Doug

Message 12 of 12
hnsmith

Doug,

Good of you to reply, it doesn't happen often in this forum. And you're entirely welcome.

Any questions, ask here, there's always a wiseguy who will answer.

_h

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report