AutoSketch

Reply
*Hutchinson, Loren
Message 41 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-19-1999 11:13 PM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Why doesn't someone add to the wish list, "I wish some of the marketing
people would read this newsgroup."

Returning to lurk mode...

Loren Hutchinson

"Keith Sibbert [Autodesk Support]" wrote:
>
> Harvey,
>
> Quite honestly, I don't use the same means to access the wishlist. We have our own internal
> process to follow but I would suggest each person submitting a vote it the suggestion is there
> but if it is not then submit a wish.
>
> --
> Keith Sibbert
> PSG Product Support, Americas
> WW Support & Services, Autodesk
> Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion
>
> Harvey Smith wrote:
>
> > Looks like I got it wrong. V7 can open a V6 .SKF file. But a V7 .SKF can NOT be
> > accessed directly by V6. It would have to be converted first. That's a different
> > story. Thanks for woe-ing
> >
> > About the Wish list, it seems you have to get listed there before anyone else
> > can vote to support it. Is THAT right, Keith? If so, the deal is to get your
> > comment published on the list. Any tricks?
> >
> > Harvey
> >
> > "Keith Sibbert [Autodesk Support]" wrote:
> > >
> > > WOE!!! hold the fort. Let me clear something up real quick like before this gets really
> > > out of hand. AutoSketch 7 can open .SKF files from previous versions but cannot save to
> > > the old format. To share drawings between AutoSketch 7 and prior versions you will have
> > > to use .DWG, .DXF or .CAD (QuickCad) files (at least at present). Len, I am truly sorry
> > > your experiences with the wish list have been less than desired but I know from
> > > experience that volume counts so please don't give up on it. Also, bear in mind that
> > > some things may be desired and very useful but for one reason or another cannot be fit
> > > into the next release timetable but may make the following one. This is one of those
> > > issues, however, that will probably be paid attention to. I am doing my best to raise
> > > the flag from this end but Keith squawking isn't enough. Customers are the ones that
> > > count and that's who the marketing folks want to hear from.
*Norris, Ric
Message 42 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-20-1999 12:02 AM in reply to: *ron_butchart
I have already suggested to Keith that very same wish....see a few lines
above...!!!

Ric Norris.

Loren Hutchinson wrote in message
news:38364A1E.F881F05D@sky.net...
> Why doesn't someone add to the wish list, "I wish some of the marketing
> people would read this newsgroup."
>
> Returning to lurk mode...
>
> Loren Hutchinson
>
> "Keith Sibbert [Autodesk Support]" wrote:
> >
> > Harvey,
> >
> > Quite honestly, I don't use the same means to access the wishlist. We
have our own internal
> > process to follow but I would suggest each person submitting a vote it
the suggestion is there
> > but if it is not then submit a wish.
> >
> > --
> > Keith Sibbert
> > PSG Product Support, Americas
> > WW Support & Services, Autodesk
> > Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion
> >
> > Harvey Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like I got it wrong. V7 can open a V6 .SKF file. But a V7 .SKF
can NOT be
> > > accessed directly by V6. It would have to be converted first. That's a
different
> > > story. Thanks for woe-ing
> > >
> > > About the Wish list, it seems you have to get listed there before
anyone else
> > > can vote to support it. Is THAT right, Keith? If so, the deal is to
get your
> > > comment published on the list. Any tricks?
> > >
> > > Harvey
> > >
> > > "Keith Sibbert [Autodesk Support]" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > WOE!!! hold the fort. Let me clear something up real quick like
before this gets really
> > > > out of hand. AutoSketch 7 can open .SKF files from previous
versions but cannot save to
> > > > the old format. To share drawings between AutoSketch 7 and prior
versions you will have
> > > > to use .DWG, .DXF or .CAD (QuickCad) files (at least at present).
Len, I am truly sorry
> > > > your experiences with the wish list have been less than desired but
I know from
> > > > experience that volume counts so please don't give up on it. Also,
bear in mind that
> > > > some things may be desired and very useful but for one reason or
another cannot be fit
> > > > into the next release timetable but may make the following one. This
is one of those
> > > > issues, however, that will probably be paid attention to. I am
doing my best to raise
> > > > the flag from this end but Keith squawking isn't enough. Customers
are the ones that
> > > > count and that's who the marketing folks want to hear from.
*Smith, Harvey
Message 43 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-20-1999 07:51 AM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Let's face it, Loren. Any company that is serious about supporting and moving
forward a product, will take customer responses wherever they can get them. I
suggest that if the marketing group wants to service this product they will be
reading these posts - at least the ones that have to do with improving the
product. I think it was Len who pointed out that the date on the last posted
"suggested improvement Wish List" was a few years ago. Doesn't bode too well,
does it?

Harvey

Loren Hutchinson wrote:
>
> Why doesn't someone add to the wish list, "I wish some of the marketing
> people would read this newsgroup."
>
> Returning to lurk mode...
>
> Loren Hutchinson
>
> "Keith Sibbert [Autodesk Support]" wrote:
> >
> > Harvey,
> >
> > Quite honestly, I don't use the same means to access the wishlist. We have our own internal
> > process to follow but I would suggest each person submitting a vote it the suggestion is there
> > but if it is not then submit a wish.
> >
> > --
> > Keith Sibbert
> > PSG Product Support, Americas
> > WW Support & Services, Autodesk
> > Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion
> >
> > Harvey Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like I got it wrong. V7 can open a V6 .SKF file. But a V7 .SKF can NOT be
> > > accessed directly by V6. It would have to be converted first. That's a different
> > > story. Thanks for woe-ing
> > >
> > > About the Wish list, it seems you have to get listed there before anyone else
> > > can vote to support it. Is THAT right, Keith? If so, the deal is to get your
> > > comment published on the list. Any tricks?
> > >
> > > Harvey
> > >
> > > "Keith Sibbert [Autodesk Support]" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > WOE!!! hold the fort. Let me clear something up real quick like before this gets really
> > > > out of hand. AutoSketch 7 can open .SKF files from previous versions but cannot save to
> > > > the old format. To share drawings between AutoSketch 7 and prior versions you will have
> > > > to use .DWG, .DXF or .CAD (QuickCad) files (at least at present). Len, I am truly sorry
> > > > your experiences with the wish list have been less than desired but I know from
> > > > experience that volume counts so please don't give up on it. Also, bear in mind that
> > > > some things may be desired and very useful but for one reason or another cannot be fit
> > > > into the next release timetable but may make the following one. This is one of those
> > > > issues, however, that will probably be paid attention to. I am doing my best to raise
> > > > the flag from this end but Keith squawking isn't enough. Customers are the ones that
> > > > count and that's who the marketing folks want to hear from.

--
http://www.westnet.com/~harvey/
*Weir, Jim
Message 44 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-22-1999 09:07 AM in reply to: *ron_butchart
>Quite honestly, I don't use the same means to access the wishlist. We have
our own internal
>process to follow but I would suggest each person submitting a vote it the
suggestion is there
>but if it is not then submit a wish.

Hey, sir, I don't mean to be offensive, but get a clue. DO WHAT WE HAVE TO
DO, even if it means going over to a friend's house and logging on to the
system using their computer. Your "wish list" for Autosketch doesn't have
anything on it that is less than one year old. No 1999 submissions at all.
And, the wish list is only available for AS-6, not 7.

If you think that we are impressed with lists over a year old that
apparently have absolutely no meaning to the powers that be, guess again.

Jim
*Stein, Andrew
Message 45 of 59 (95 Views)

Re: Version 7 file incompatible with 6.01?

11-23-1999 11:13 AM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Gentlepeople,

This has been a hot topic, for sure. Thanks to everyone for expressing
interest in AutoSketch 7.0. We've added the "SaveAs prior version" to the
Autosketch wishlist.

I realize that there appears to be another issue with how current the AUGI
wishlist is, so here's what I've done. First, I've put this request is on
the development manager's personal wishlist -- that means that it is on the
list here at Autodesk. AUGI is a separate organization, as you all know,
so additionally I've asked Lynn Allen (cc'd on this posting), our User Group
Manager here at Autodesk to explore why the AUGI web site wishlist appears
to be out of date. We don't have control over the AUGI web site and Lynn
Allen has more influence there than I, hence the right folks are working on
it.

With respect to the specific wishlist item, I have also spoken with the
programmers to understand more what the work would be to do this wishlist
item. Unfortunately, for the short term, this is not a "patch-able fix"
for the currently shipping Autosketch 7.0 product. In discussing this with
the Autosketch developers, adding this is a completely new feature, one that
was not offered in the prior version of Autosketch, so if it makes sense to
add this feature to Autosketch, it would need to be developed from scratch.

There have been many alternative suggestions for getting a file to version
6.0 using DXF and DWG for the interim. Our support team will document and
post the best processes in a support solution for everyone's benefit.

Thank you,
Andrew Stein
Autodesk Product Marketing
*Rafuse, L.
Message 46 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-23-1999 01:28 PM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Thank you for the response. I have a few comments below.

An improved and listened to wish list would be greatly appreciated.

> In discussing this with
> the Autosketch developers, adding this is a completely new feature, one that
> was not offered in the prior version of Autosketch, so if it makes sense to
> add this feature to Autosketch, it would need to be developed from scratch.
>

Wow! Saving as a version 6 SKF is completely new! And I thought Version 6
could do that already. But if version 6 couldn't do it...

Being able to open and save in older versions is critical. For example, one of
the reasons I am using AutoSketch is the ability to still open and save in
Drafix Pro 4.11 format. This allows me to use all the Drafix macros I created.

Of course if the AutoSketch had its own macro language, I wouldn't need Drafix
Pro any more.

>
> There have been many alternative suggestions for getting a file to version
> 6.0 using DXF and DWG for the interim. Our support team will document and
> post the best processes in a support solution for everyone's benefit.

DXF and DWG both loose the AutoSketch line width. This makes many peoples
drawings unreadable when plotted. It also explodes all the associated
dimensions. If there is not going to be a patch for this issue, it sound like
the best thing to do is stay with version 6 if you need to transfer with version
6 AutoSketch users.

--
Len Rafuse
Vision Engineering
*[Autodesk], Andrew Stein
Message 47 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-23-1999 03:33 PM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Hi Len,

Some more thoughts:....

> Wow! Saving as a version 6 SKF is completely new! And I thought Version
6
> could do that already. But if version 6 couldn't do it...

I wish it were that simple to just "lift" code from the old version (6) to
save as ver 6 in ver 7. Features are often coded and optimised both on the
software side, and on the database side -- this complicates things for sure.
Certainly with enough time, resources, and money, anything is possible.

> If there is not going to be a patch for this issue, it sound like
> the best thing to do is stay with version 6 if you need to transfer with
version
> 6 AutoSketch users.

Yes, that is one option that may be the best for this situation.

Andrew Stein
Autodesk Product Marketing
*Suzanne, Jim &
Message 48 of 59 (95 Views)

Re:

11-23-1999 05:49 PM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Andrew,
I am happy to add my thanks along with Len's. As I have indicated in another
posting above, the confusion with the wish list has been a little
frustrating.

I am also intrigued by your comments regarding the provision of the "new"
feature. I guess that the change from version 5 to version 6 was relatively
quick. I never really bothered to check this capability in ver 5.

However, I would like to emphasize that the ability of version 6 to save
back to 4.1 ver .cad has been very important. It will be equally important
for future versions to have the "save as previous version" feature.

Thank you again for your attention and consideration.

Jim Lisowski
PJC Facilities
pjco@idirect.com
*edschweb
Message 49 of 59 (95 Views)

OLE Pompatability Problems with Version 7

11-24-1999 03:16 AM in reply to: *ron_butchart
Hi:

Over the weekend I posted a message that I could not edit Version 6 Autosketch
drawings embedded in Microsoft Word documents and edit them with Version 6 removed
and version 7 installed. I would get an error message that the application or file
could not be found. I could still manually copy and paste them in verrsion 7.

I teach HS physics and I exclisively use Autosketch to draw pictures that I
incorporate into HW sheets, lab instructions, and tests written in Word - so this is
a very big issue for me. I noticed the problem when I went to edit a drawing in a
document I had started writing with version 6.

I reported this on Autodesk's bug report site.

On Monday I installed Version 7 at a computer at school which runs under Windows
NT and I got a more specific error message saying that a certain dll file could not
be found in one of several possible paths. I did find that dll on the disk in
C:/programs/common files/autodesk/shared which was not one of the files listed in
the path on the error message. When I copied this file to C:/winnt/system32 (one of
the files on the path) and tried OLE I got another error message about a different
dll. file

I finally copied all dlls from autodesk/shared to system32 and everything worked
fine. Likewise, at home, everything worked fine when I copied the dll files to
c:/windows/system. While this is a workable solution it does take up extra space on
my disk. I also called autodesk techinical service to inform them of my fix.

However, I am very dissatisfied with the response to my original bug report.
Yesterday I got a very terse message that this was not a known problem with a known
solution and that I should call technical support to verify that it is really a
defect in the program. It seems that a very valid and important bug report was just
being summarily dismissed. My complaint is not with the tech support person with
whom I spoke on Monday who was both curteous and competent.

That such a major bug has survived in a final release is itself a serious reason
to view the professionalism of Autodesk with a jaundiced eye. That the bug report
seems to have been sloughed off so lightly is a more serious reason to do so.
*Nolte, John
Message 50 of 59 (95 Views)

OLE Pompatability Problems with Version 7

11-24-1999 06:55 AM in reply to: *ron_butchart
I guess we will see what kind of company we are buying from. When I first heard of v7
and its new features, saving as a .jpg really appealed to me. That is a feature I would
have used several times in the few months I have had v6.01. So far my work around
solution has been to print, scan, and save the scanned picture as a .jpg file. Is there
an easier, paperless way to end up with .jpg in v6.01?

John

edschweb wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Over the weekend I posted a message that I could not edit Version 6 Autosketch
> drawings embedded in Microsoft Word documents and edit them with Version 6 removed
> and version 7 installed. I would get an error message that the application or file
> could not be found. I could still manually copy and paste them in verrsion 7.
>
> I teach HS physics and I exclisively use Autosketch to draw pictures that I
> incorporate into HW sheets, lab instructions, and tests written in Word - so this is
> a very big issue for me. I noticed the problem when I went to edit a drawing in a
> document I had started writing with version 6.
>
> I reported this on Autodesk's bug report site.
>
> On Monday I installed Version 7 at a computer at school which runs under Windows
> NT and I got a more specific error message saying that a certain dll file could not
> be found in one of several possible paths. I did find that dll on the disk in
> C:/programs/common files/autodesk/shared which was not one of the files listed in
> the path on the error message. When I copied this file to C:/winnt/system32 (one of
> the files on the path) and tried OLE I got another error message about a different
> dll. file
>
> I finally copied all dlls from autodesk/shared to system32 and everything worked
> fine. Likewise, at home, everything worked fine when I copied the dll files to
> c:/windows/system. While this is a workable solution it does take up extra space on
> my disk. I also called autodesk techinical service to inform them of my fix.
>
> However, I am very dissatisfied with the response to my original bug report.
> Yesterday I got a very terse message that this was not a known problem with a known
> solution and that I should call technical support to verify that it is really a
> defect in the program. It seems that a very valid and important bug report was just
> being summarily dismissed. My complaint is not with the tech support person with
> whom I spoke on Monday who was both curteous and competent.
>
> That such a major bug has survived in a final release is itself a serious reason
> to view the professionalism of Autodesk with a jaundiced eye. That the bug report
> seems to have been sloughed off so lightly is a more serious reason to do so.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community