Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Autosketch 9 in Windows 7?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
askotlen
15144 Views, 12 Replies

Using Autosketch 9 in Windows 7?

I am using Autosketch 9 and have no reason to upgrade to V 10. Has anyone loaded up Windows 7 and tried Autosketch 9 or 10. And does it work?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
andrell1939
in reply to: askotlen

I installed Autosketch 9 on my new computer using Vista Premium. All was well other than two difficulties. On installing Autosketch 9 on Vista I selected for imperial measurements and on running Autosketch I found the default dimensions were metric. However after changing the Autosketch settings that after a couple tries the setting showed imperial measures. That turned out ok. The other difficulty was opening a .SKF file from the source by double clicking, Autosketch would not open the file. If I opened the same file using Autosketch 9 selecting the open directory feature all became ok, As I understand if Autosketch 9 will work with Windows 7, I see no problem since Vista is the base system of Windows 7 with operation improvements. If you are leary about it I sugest you install Autosketch 9 on a store or a freind computer with Windows 7 before you acquire Windows 7. I purchased Autosketch 10 and all is well on Vista Premium. HOPE THIS MAY BE OF SOME HELP.
Message 3 of 13
greshoff1

I am using Autosketch v9 on a Windows 7 64 bit os and so far no issues to report
Message 4 of 13
paulgr

Double-clicking an skf file sometimes won't open it, then it starts up an invisible instance of Autosketch. Have to open Autosketch 9 first then open the skf from within if I want to open files consistantly. This is a real nuisance if you are used to opening the skf from within an email.

Does Autosketch 10 open an skf with a double click in windows 7 without problems?
Message 5 of 13
zephxiii

If you go to the compatibility tab for autosketch, set it to "Run this program as an administrator" and that should fix your double-click to open skf file issue.
Message 6 of 13
Fred9002

I just started running AS9 on Win7 with no problems. UAC settings may also solve your issue.
Message 7 of 13
rickandest
in reply to: Fred9002

Have been running AS9 on XP platform for a long time but switching to new HP with windows7. AS9 appeared to load properly (no weird messages, ect). However, failed to start and gave message "missing acge16.dll file. Checked new computer and, indeed, there is no such file. Any thoughts ?

Message 8 of 13
beechwoods

I just installed AS-10 on a HP Windows 7  Home Premium  64 bit PC with no trouble and I can open any .skf file with one click,  AS-10 will start and the drawing is ready to use.

Message 9 of 13
rickandest

Thanks for the info re AS10. However, my needs for a high quality 2D program  are significantly less than they were  2years ago. At this point there are several good freeware programs that will satisfy my needs. If AS9 worked, I would have continued using but not worth paying for AS10. Good luck !

Message 10 of 13
CovenStine

For what it's worth, for the rest of the poor souls trying to do this, the only problem I ran into (on ONE of the two win7 sp1 x64 pc's I put Autosketch 9 on yesterday) was the error associated with acge16.dll not loading. I tried compatibility settings, running as ADMIN, and I have UAC turned off, so that wasn't it, and it wasn't an issue with Admin installers or Antivirus software... I was miffed I believe it happens because the x64 version of windows7 did away with a lot of the DOS underpinnings that v9 uses to link files it uses. I decided, eff it, and COPIED (not moved, as it might break other Autodesk files) every DLL from the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared (non-recursive) to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\AutoSketch9, and opting not to overwrite the files unless they matched in size & date. I decided to do this because, after copying the DLL that was missing, Autosketch couldn't find another; and this process continued in somewhat alphabetical order, so I realized it couldn't find the shared folder. Autosketch v9 works fine now, no errors. Just FYI, if anybody's interested.
Message 11 of 13
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: zephxiii

I ran V7 the V8 and V9 on Windows XP then updated with V9 to windows 7 and now 8.1 with the only problem being the selection of an skf file in explorer started Autosketch but did not come up on the screen. 

I ignored the problem windows 7 then 8 and now 8.1 as it is the only issue I have found to exist..

I distribute a lot of my drawings in pdf format and find it helpful in the filing system as it helps me find an old file as explorer is a little easier than the browse in autosketch.

I would like to start an skf from explorer but have gotten used to not being able to.

Kevin H

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 12 of 13

Bingo.  Works like a charm

Message 13 of 13
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

Subsequent to this old post I had found a way of fixing my problem (in this forum) and it worked perfectly after that I then upgraded to windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 with no problems although I now run Autosketch 10.

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report