Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a scanned house plan?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Fleetz
1212 Views, 5 Replies

Importing a scanned house plan?

I am looking to scan in an A3 house plan into AS10 and then draw layers of cable plans on top.

Is this possible and if so could someone kindly guide me through the process. I have a Brother A3 multi function printer, scanner, etc etc which could be used to facilitate the scan.

Appreciate any assistance ....I am new to AS having just purchased AS10.

Regards,

Fleetz
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Fleetz
in reply to: Fleetz

Appreciate any assistance or advise as to if this is possible.

Thanks,

Ian
Message 3 of 6
pendean

AS only imports specific format files: look them up and convert your scan to that first.
Message 4 of 6
Fred9002

It sounds like you are just needing to use the scanned in item as a graphic and then draw on top of it.  I've done that via the following:  First scan it into an image (e.g. .jpg) and then, from AS, insert it as an image into a drawing.   Draw the box whatever size you want it (e.g. the whole drawing)  When drawing over an image, there are some things to click to decide which one is "in front"; you'll want the lines in front/on top so that you can see them.     I keep learing and forgetting  where to "click" for that but it's there.  Also, sometimes I first lightened up the image in some image software (e.g. Gimp, photoshop)  to make it easier to see the lines on top of it.    

Message 5 of 6
thixoman

Hi I have used ScanVector for situations like this, , , takes a bit of time to clean up the scan to vector, but well worth it   There are other types of programs for this also

Message 6 of 6
Fleetz

Thank you for the feedback it is very much appreciated. The application I currently have is where I want to mark up cable plans overlaid on the house plans I was able to get the builders draught person to generate a stripped down .dxf version file which imported seamlessly into AS.

I don't expect many more requirements importing in and needing drawing on top of so am reluctant to purchase a conversion program.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Fleetz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report