AutoSketch
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stretch a rectangle on only one side?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zingher
2593 Views, 4 Replies

How to stretch a rectangle on only one side?

Often it is necessary to stretch a rectangle (or other entity) on only one side. For example, the left edge should stay fixed, the right edge should move further right, and the center-point ("move-about point") should move halfway to the right.
Under AutoSketchv9, for a pre-existing rectangle, handle-pulling the right edge causes symmetric stretching. Both the right and left edges both move outward, and the center-point ("move about point") stays fixed. This is NOT the necessary one-sided stretching.
Could this be related to some setting, such as Drawing options, snap-to grid, etc?
By contrast, when I use the rectangle tool to draw a new rectangle, and immediately do handle-stretching, then the stretching is one-sided. Unfortunately this does NOT work to stretch a pre-existing rectangle.
Also by contrast, under ASv8, handle-stretching does provide one-sided stretching.
I have tried to approximate one-sded stretching by handle-pulling symmetric stretching followed by moving the entity. However this makes it very clumsey achieve the required alignment & size.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: zingher

There must be a setting. My AS 9 rectangles stretche the same as versions 8 and 6.01. zingher wrote: > Often it is necessary to stretch a rectangle (or other entity) on only one side. For example, the left edge should stay fixed, the right edge should move further right, and the center-point ("move-about point") should move halfway to the right. > Under AutoSketchv9, for a pre-existing rectangle, handle-pulling the right edge causes symmetric stretching. Both the right and left edges both move outward, and the center-point ("move about point") stays fixed. This is NOT the necessary one-sided stretching. > Could this be related to some setting, such as Drawing options, snap-to grid, etc? > By contrast, when I use the rectangle tool to draw a new rectangle, and immediately do handle-stretching, then the stretching is one-sided. Unfortunately this does NOT work to stretch a pre-existing rectangle. > Also by contrast, under ASv8, handle-stretching does provide one-sided stretching. > I have tried to approximate one-sded stretching by handle-pulling symmetric stretching followed by moving the entity. However this makes it very clumsey achieve the required alignment & size.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Right click on the about point. Uncheck the fourth entry: Scale About Here. This menu is the only access to this command, and it often gets checked accidentally. Rod "Len Rafuse" wrote in message news:415be3f8_2@newsprd01... > There must be a setting. My AS 9 rectangles stretche the same as > versions 8 and 6.01. > > zingher wrote: > > > Often it is necessary to stretch a rectangle (or other entity) on only one side. For example, the left edge should stay fixed, the right edge should move further right, and the center-point ("move-about point") should move halfway to the right. > > Under AutoSketchv9, for a pre-existing rectangle, handle-pulling the right edge causes symmetric stretching. Both the right and left edges both move outward, and the center-point ("move about point") stays fixed. This is NOT the necessary one-sided stretching. > > Could this be related to some setting, such as Drawing options, snap-to grid, etc? > > By contrast, when I use the rectangle tool to draw a new rectangle, and immediately do handle-stretching, then the stretching is one-sided. Unfortunately this does NOT work to stretch a pre-existing rectangle. > > Also by contrast, under ASv8, handle-stretching does provide one-sided stretching. > > I have tried to approximate one-sded stretching by handle-pulling symmetric stretching followed by moving the entity. However this makes it very clumsey achieve the required alignment & size. >
Message 4 of 5
Gadget

There are two ways I have found to do this so far:

1)
- R-click on the central "about point" and move it to the opposite corner from the one you want to stretch
- Grab the side handle and pull
OR - hit "R" and click on a side handle to type in an exact ammount

2)
- Create a "marquee" over the side of the rectangle you want to stretch
- Select the rectangle
- use the "stretch" tool and click on the point you want to stretch from
- select the point you want to stretch to
(either of these points can be relative, absolute or snapped.)

The first method is quick and easy, the second allows you to skew the rectangle and works for any shape or line within the marquee.

(Note: the marquee remains on the drawing, but does not really affect anything unless you want to stretch or scale again. Best to clear it once finished to avoid confusion.)

BTW the reason it works first time is because it has the initial point clicked to create the rectangle as it's "about point" - select it again and the "about point" is automaticall re-generated in the center of the object.
Message was edited by: Gadget
Message 5 of 5
rlinger

>Reply From: Rod Hulbert
>Date: Sep/30/04 - 11:11 (EDT)
>
>Re: How to stretch a rectangle on only one side?
>Right click on the about point. Uncheck the fourth entry: Scale >About Here.
>This menu is the only access to this command, and it often gets >checked accidentally.
>
>Rod

Rod this was giving me a major headache for the past week, and your solution worked! I'm using AS8, on windows XP pro.

Thanks
Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report