Did you mean: 

Help shape the future of AutoSketch!

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
Anonymous
6370 Views, 58 Replies

Help shape the future of AutoSketch!

hi -

We are currently doin some research around AutoSketch and we'd like your input. We have posted a surevy at:

http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/adsksurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=n4008nm

It should only take a few minutes of your time (which will be much appreciated by our team)

Thanks.

Lisa Crounse
Product Manager - Autodesk
58 REPLIES 58
Message 41 of 59
markeporter
in reply to: Anonymous

If a macro facility ever gets into Autosketch 10, then I'll consider upgrading from 2.1.
Message 42 of 59
sbw102

I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in the thread but I would ask that Autodesk develop/release a native Mac OS X version of Autosketch.   

I've used Autosketch for years and It's functionality fits my needs, but I hate having to run it through a Windows virtual machine on my Mac. (It's the only remaining program that requires me to use the virtual machine).

I have compared Autosketch to Freestyle and I actually like Autosketch better than the newer product.  It seems to be more technical / precision oriented whereas Freestyle seems much more a consumer drag-and-drop product.

Message 43 of 59
compega
in reply to: sbw102

This thread has understandably attracted a lot of interest. I tried unsuccessfully to do the survey so emailed Lisa instead as follows:

"I stumbled on the Forum but was unable to access the (admittedly old) survey or to register to post a comment - hence this email.

I have been an intermittent AS user from the days of DOS and have owned numerous versions - currently running rel 9 on XP. There was apparently a major hiccup when the program underwent an about turn on the interface some releases ago - something to do with substituting a new software base. Please don't do that again !

I expect to upgrade to Windows 7 before long and would like to feel that my existing software will run;  £200 plus for a new version of AS just to achieve compatibility with 7 would probably drive me very reluctantly into the arms of the competition.

I am glad to see that AS can export to SketchUp and would like to see more Wacom friendliness.

AS has always seemed stable and relatively easy to get back into after a break, features that I value.

I am instinctively more at home with small organizations and wonder whether Autodesk would not do better to spin the product off. I was dismayed by the numerous negative references on the forum to customer support."

This was early this year and I have had no reply. Is there still an AS Product Manager? Participation by Autodesk in the forum seems very sparse. 

Message 44 of 59
gregmacp

I am a longtime user of Autosketch (since Drafix days, about 25 years or so). I'd love to be involved in keeping this product going. I am currently not able to use AutoSketch 9 anymore on my Windows 7 machine, though I had no trouble for the first 5 months. I'm very unhappy that I can't even get help if I am willing to pay for it, so I think that needs to get rectified.

I teach this program at the college level as part of a Stage Lighting curriculum. It's the perfect entry level CAD program and I think Autodesk should keep it working and up to date, and certainly look for a way to make it compatable with Microsoft Operating Systems as they change.

Please put me onthe list as a consultant to any further developement attempts. Thanks.

Greg MacPherson

Message 45 of 59
straightarrow372

I wonder if this thread is still active.  It's so old.  I got autodesk Express with my BAMBOO device.  I do have some features that I would like added and I also wonder if these are available thru sketchbook pro.

The first is the tools available.  I use the tablet/stylus device for caligraphy.  I note that there is an italic nib, which is very nice, but there is not a crow quill nib.  A crow quill nib is necessary for full calligraphy options.

The second is colors/fill options.  It would be nice to use a greater variety of colors.  For instance, today I was looking for metallic, but I could imagine fill options like textures or two color gradients.  Some of these types of options are available in the draw features of MicroSoft Word.

I shoud note that I am using this on a mac mini.  I had originally purchased the BAMBOO device for my son, as a gift, but he was not able to use it, because his operating system is UBUNTU and it could not recognize the device.  You should work with the hardware people to add UBUNTU compatibility.

Also, while the software frequently reminds me that Autodesk Pro has improved layer editing options as compared iwth the free version, it does not mention any other features, which would be helpful.

Message 46 of 59
RobinOram
in reply to: compega

I agree entirely with those AutoSketch users who wish to see a version for Mac.

I am still using AS v2.1, but in my Mac's VMWare Fusion virtual computer. I bought v2.1 for Windows 3.1 in 1993 and have used it all over the world in later Windows versions as a quick´n easy adjunct to my technical consulting work. I am also familiar with v 7 (which was a bit too complicated for a simple soul like me) but never got as far as v 10.

My v 2.1 works just fine on the Mac as noted above but I do have some printing difficulties. I would gladly buy a Mac-compatible version.

Robin Oram

23-11-2013

Message 47 of 59
pendean
in reply to: RobinOram

Friend, you are replying to a 5-year old post of a now dead product. Total waste of time.
Message 48 of 59
landis747

In 1991 I was involved with capacitor design using AutoSketch ver2.  I had that program down to a tee.  After leaving that position and company, I wasn't using 2-D programs for a couple of years so when I downloaded the upgrade version of the program, so much was changed that I had a hard time using it.  It was harder to use and I couldn't accomplish the drawings that I was trying to copy.  I would love to get a version of AutoSketch 2.0 or anything close to that version!  This was the program that really accomplished what draftsmen who did 2-D drawings set out to do quickly! 

Message 49 of 59
344-78989006
in reply to: markeporter

Hi i have ued Autosketch and other CAD programs for many yrs 

currently  use version 10h and it runs fine 

would like  some add on tools  though 

Danielle 

Message 50 of 59
344-78989006
in reply to: pendean

not dead for some people
Personally i think the program [ Autosketch 10 ] is better than AutoCAD and a dam site easier to use and prints a superior dwg. No one yet has been able to do a better print direct from AutoCAD easier and as good a quality as from AutoSketch .
used CAD programes for over 20 yrs now
and Sketchup pro is a better 3D program too
Danielle
Message 51 of 59
344-78989006
in reply to: landis747

Version 10 is simple and easy to use
If having probs use the help menu ..
happy to help out with some tricks ..
Danielle
Message 52 of 59
344-78989006
in reply to: landis747

Hi

I use Auto Sketch 10 and it works fine on Windows 7

Its so easy to use and

Really does leave auto CAD for dead in the printing arena.

If you want different scale dwgs just do on different sheet

Or just adj dims manually and leavea scaled copy off to one side .

User for over 15 yrs now

Also another great program is Sketch up pro still free for the basic program
by Google.

I love it another simple to use program.

You pay what 1800 fro LT AutoCAD and about 350 for Autosketch 10 mmm

Crazy .. easy choice

Politically correct title is draftsperson ..lol

Kind regards

Danielle

Senior Architectural / Structural draftperson / Estimator

In Vogue Design Drafting
Message 53 of 59
gregmacp
in reply to: 344-78989006

Hi Danielle,

I agree with you on the ease of use. I used the program from the beginning,
when it was called Drafix and before it was sold to AutoCAD. I teach
lighting design at a college and have used it for years to teach students
the basics of CAD. Simple and effective for basic drafting needs.

However, I have had to purchase and learn Vectorworks as most of the
entertainment industry (lighting anyway) has gone that direction. I bought
the Educational version of AutoCAD LT just so I could translate dwg files
that were newer than 2007, but it is hateful! I just wish that Autodesk
would support the program. I ran it on Win 7 for a while but it started
acting up (not able to save files) so I now run it in XP when I need it. But
now I'm Vectorworks (though it takes much longer to do a drawing in VWX than
in AutoSketch).

I hope it comes back though. Hard to encourage new graduates to buy a
program that will cost them $2500 when they could do what they need for a
10th of the price!

Greg
Message 54 of 59
compega

Drawing a bow very much at a venture:

Six years on it seems clear that AS10 was the last version of our great program. I am currently using AS9, the latest of numerous versions since the days of DOS, and would be glad to upgrade if there were good reasons to do so (AS9 runs very happily on Win 10). It seems still possible to buy AS10 despite its demise and I would be glad to know how others who have done so fared with it.

Does anyone know whether Paul Jackson's Power Tools for AS are still available and, if so, are they compatible with AS9 and AS10?

Autodesk should consider producing a "sunset" version the way Microsoft did with their late, lamented Money program.

Message 55 of 59
Kevin.Hutch

Like many I updated to AS10 in a hope that the interest would maintain motivation AutoDesk support.

I found AS10 to work faultlessly under W8 and now W10, in fact the transition was completely transparent and I am not looking for additional features. I am and always will be a 2D CAD person, I look at 2D and visualize 3D when required, I relate to drawing not modeling so 2D fulfils all the tasks I come up with.

Without the 3D overheads AS10 runs quickly on the laptop I have, so I see no down side. I have even downloaded Design Review so I can convert newer DWG/DXF file to 2007 format that gives me acces to later files.

I always maintain the best program is the one you are familiar with, bugs, a quantum leap in functionality or specific purpose alone can justify upgrading. 

The activity on this forum for other than converting old drawings has almost completely disappeared and finding that AS10 can still be purchased has motivated a number of AS10 sales reducing the conversion demand even further. 

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 56 of 59
compega
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

Kevin Hutch:

Thank you for your interesting comments; it would be good to see a response from Lisa Crounse or other Autodesk representative.

I was not aware of the Design Review tool. I don't suppose it was produced by Autodesk with AS users in mind but credit to them nonetheless.

I am still hoping for replies to my questions (post 54) and, in the meantime, shall continue to use AS9.

Message 57 of 59
Kevin.Hutch

I never experienced a problem with AS9, even after the massive changes in windows, I merely updated to AS10 as a show of support and never regretted it.

To be clear, my installing Autodesk Design Review was to be able to load newer dwg/dxf files into AS10, as it remains the only CAD system I am comfortable with. I have attempted, sketchup and fusion but can not master the transition, a 75 year old brain fights change.

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 58 of 59
compega
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

Kevin Hutch:

It's a shame that your loyalty to Autodesk was not rewarded by ongoing support and product development. That said, the possibilities for development within the scope of an essentially 2D program seem limited, particularly as AS9 and 10 run happily under Win 10.

You were quite clear about Design Review and I have noted its availability in case I should need it.

As it happens, your experience and my own of other products are quite similar. I confess that as an amateur machinist I find it helpful to have an orthographic view of the job, particularly if someone else has designed it; visualising 3D from 2D is a skill that takes practice! Beyond this, I suppose 3D capability is provided for CAD/CAM and 3D printing, both being beyond my scope at the moment.

I'm not sure how germane this is to the title of the thread (which at this remove itself seems irrelevant) but it would be nice to hear from Autodesk in response.

The fact that, so far as I am aware, there is no third party forum for AS users suggests that we are a dying breed. My "sunset version" suggestion was aimed at the possibility of getting young users with limited budgets involved in CAD.

Message 59 of 59
compega

By way of correction to my previous post, I meant isometric rather than orthographic ie a 3D sketch was in mind.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report