Did you mean: 

Help shape the future of AutoSketch!

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
Anonymous
6377 Views, 58 Replies

Help shape the future of AutoSketch!

hi -

We are currently doin some research around AutoSketch and we'd like your input. We have posted a surevy at:

http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/adsksurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=n4008nm

It should only take a few minutes of your time (which will be much appreciated by our team)

Thanks.

Lisa Crounse
Product Manager - Autodesk
58 REPLIES 58
Message 21 of 59
da55
in reply to: Anonymous

Lisa Crounse - could you at least give me a number and a name of someone I could speak to in person at Autodesk to get some kind of response regarding Autosketch? I tried the customer support centre again but all they spew out are canned answers to requests and direct me to the web site if I want to purchase product.
Regards
Message 22 of 59
paulgr

From past experience no company will guarantee a product will stay in production for "x" number of years, or say if a product will continue to be developed or not.
Message 23 of 59
da55

Can't argue that, I am just clutching at straws but not sure I have any other ideas right now....
Cheers
Message 24 of 59
da55

Just wanted to leave a quick note that I did talk to Lisa directly. Although, as expected, she could not legally say anything about futures at least i now know that there are real people at Autodesk. Now if they could just get all the customer service reps on the 1-800 number to act more compassionate towards customers....
Thanks again Lisa for your time.
DA
Message 25 of 59
dwhite

At the risk of being overly cynical, I have to feel sorry for Lisa. Autodesk has shown absolutely NO interest in Autosketch for almost 4 years, and suddenly Lisa gets assigned to be the new product manager of what for all intents & purposes is a dead product.

As I see it, there are two possibilities:

1) Autodesk has finally come to their senses & is honestly trying to resuscitate AutoSketch, in which case I wish they'd hurry up.

or,

2) Lisa offended somebody & they have handed her AutoSketch with the full expectation that they will kill it off soon & can then lay her off.

I really hope I'm wrong, for all of our sakes.
Message 26 of 59
Anonymous

Someone I work with was just asking me today for a low cost CAD program. I suggested Autosketch. We was filling out the on-line form and had his credit card out when he realized it was not compatible with Vista which he has running on his new laptop.
To say the least - he was pretty disappointed. The next step up is AutoCAD LT and that is was out of his price range.

So my only comment is Autosketch compatibility with Vista.

Thanks,
Don
Message 27 of 59
Anonymous

Hello

I always turn off the "User Account Control" in Vista and then AutoSketch and many other programs
run fine.

UAC is in control panel and users. A better name for it should be "Microsoft Paranoia Control".

None of my customers have complained about having it turned off. If you Google UAC you will receive
about a gazillion hits of people complaining about it.

Paul

djacob wrote:
> Someone I work with was just asking me today for a low cost CAD program. I suggested Autosketch. We was filling out the on-line form and had his credit card out when he realized it was not compatible with Vista which he has running on his new laptop.
> To say the least - he was pretty disappointed. The next step up is AutoCAD LT and that is was out of his price range.
>
> So my only comment is Autosketch compatibility with Vista.
>
> Thanks,
> Don
Message 28 of 59
fredt

Microsoft "security" means putting up lots of barriers (with warnings) which you have to disable in order to use your computer. This is to get customers to blame themselves when their OS leaks. And so the "security" is just security against Microsoft being accountable.

The real main Microsoft security problem is the they make their systems (and thus your computer) too open to external people (like Microsoft), and they contrive dependency on such openness.

Imagine if your refrigerator was like that. In order to keep it running you have to give the manufacturer keys to your house and a go- ahead to come in 24/7 unannounced and mess with it, and accept that it should "break" immediately (and be your fault) if you don't allow them to do so.
Message 29 of 59
da55

I tried to resist saying anything - but it appears that there's a great deal of misconceptions around UAC and Vista. I suggest that people read the technical articles about such things as opposed to the articles that fuel the general anti Vista sentiments.
Most O/S have some kind of UAC, Unix, OS X etc have similar safeguards where a PW is required to access areas that normally should not be touched by applications.
Vista is not going to recover from the lashings it has received in the press, Microsoft did an absolutely horrible job marketing and launching it. It's a shame as it's a pretty solid system, probably better that XP was at the same time after it's introduction.
I have had no problem running AutoSketch under Vista or many other programs I use.
Message 30 of 59
Anonymous

I'll pass this information on.

Thanks to you and the others that replied to my post.

Don
Message 31 of 59
fredt

In my opinion MS also did an absolutely horrible job of DESIGNING VISTA. I'm not talking about the technical stuff that you are. I'm talking about them trying to make it be Big Brother (ala DRM) and a nanny instead of an operating system. Plus all of the stuff that is built in barriers to usage for mere mortal users who know less than you. Newsgroups are filled with millions of cases of things that stopped working when people moved to Vista.

I think that 7 will be their last chance to start listening to their customers before they lose their OS monopoly.
Message 32 of 59
brianvinci

Lisa - the survey link doesn't work for me?

I am a longtime QuickCAD and AS user. I really like the product and have used it for design of multi-million dollar facilities and small $100K renovations. There are a few things that I would like to see change in AS10 so please update the survey link. Becuase this is a product that my shop uses on a regular basis we can provide some constructive comments for the next version. Thank you.

Brian V.
Message 33 of 59
Anonymous

So....after nearly 2 months of bantering around, what exactly is the future
of AutoSketch....!!!???

Ric Norris.

wrote in message news:5920673@discussion.autodesk.com...
hi -

We are currently doin some research around AutoSketch and we'd like your
input. We have posted a surevy at:

http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/adsksurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=n4008nm

It should only take a few minutes of your time (which will be much
appreciated by our team)

Thanks.

Lisa Crounse
Product Manager - Autodesk
Message 34 of 59
dwhite

The first question is "does it have ANY future"? There are clearly plenty of users who want this product to continue, and there are also a number of compatibility issues with newer OS's that need fixing.

I'm setting up a new computer right now, and I would be delighted to buy another copy of Autosketch for it, IF there was any indication that AutoDesk had any real intention of supporting it.
Message 35 of 59
fredt

A good product despite it's neglect.

And it's a good strategic move for their entire position in the CAD to have a good entry level / economical product. I imagine that some executives are too myopic to understand this, but their stockholders should hope that smarter heads prevail.
Message 36 of 59
arcaneone

AutoCad initially grew out of satisfying the demand for basic drafting tools useful in multiple disciplines. If AutoDesk is willing to give-up those customers, then an opportunity for a competitor to enter the basic drafting software will be created. Looking back 25 years, I have seen and used a lot of good CAD software products whose basic drafting support withered. They are ither very small companies or are no longer around. We are cuurently look for 20 licenses of a low cost drafting option, which is compatible with our 35 licenses of AutoCAD. This can not be AutoSketch, since it is not compatible with 2009. So we will just keep looking. (GM thought it could sell "feature rich", expensive SUVs forever, in the face of a market that is demanding lower cost basic transportation options.) I hope this helps you make some decisions.
Message 37 of 59
baumgrenze

Hello Lisa,

I tried the link and ran into an "Unable to Access Survey" "Invalid Survey ID" etc.

Do I have to establish a separate login ID with classapps to take a survey?

If so, I hope some folks were persistent enough to go through all those hoops.

I find Autodesk's ID/PW policies a big enough hassle as it is.

John
Message 38 of 59
Kevin.Hutch

I too am a lowend user, in my previous life i was a very active commercial user in the computer industry so much so that I was presented with a full blown CAD workstation on my retirement (1991) long since outdated.

Since retirement I have a niche for my skill set and for the last 8 years have been supplying drawings and ligit copies of AS to some of my clients. None of them are potential CAD cuctomers in any other sense but I have now one that wants copies in ACAD 2008 format and I am forced to look for a legit answer.

I am more than happy with the features AS9 offers but compatibility with more ACAD packages would be great.

Kevin H
Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 39 of 59
Anonymous

Good morning Kevin;

I doubt Autodesk will
reinstate Autosketch as it could rival Autocad LT at about an eighth of the
price.  In theory, AC 08 should recognize previous versions of
itself.  I have AS 6 which exports to AC 13 which is recognized by my LT
09.  I appreciate it's an awkward method.

Cheers,

John

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
too am a lowend user, in my previous life i was a very active commercial user
in the computer industry so much so that I was presented with a full blown CAD
workstation on my retirement (1991) long since outdated. Since retirement I
have a niche for my skill set and for the last 8 years have been supplying
drawings and ligit copies of AS to some of my clients. None of them are
potential CAD cuctomers in any other sense but I have now one that wants
copies in ACAD 2008 format and I am forced to look for a legit answer. I am
more than happy with the features AS9 offers but compatibility with more ACAD
packages would be great. Kevin H
Message 40 of 59
pdw189

I found Autosketch 10 on the dabs.com site in the UK today.
Revised product image shown.
List price £201.19 inc. VAT (Not in Stock)
Manufacturer product code 003A10911111001

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report