Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create an Exact Dimension Block

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
baumgrenze
736 Views, 5 Replies

Create an Exact Dimension Block

I am running Autosketch 9, Build 88 under Windows XP-Pro.

Is there a simple way to create a dimension block (an arrow with the dimension in text) where instead of dragging from one point to a second point, you specifiy the exact dimension and the program provides the block? More than once I've wanted to have access to this feature so that I could paste a dimension onto my sketch as a tool for informing others about dimensions in my drawing, where lines have been placed with all the precision provided by the Offset feature.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Fred9002
in reply to: baumgrenze

I didn't quite understand your question.   

When you said "an arrow" did you literally mean one arrow?  If so, and you just want to type in text, the that sounds like the "Leader" tool.

Sincerely,

Fred

Message 3 of 6
baumgrenze
in reply to: Fred9002

Hello Fred,

Thanks for your response.

I am talking about the kind of Single Dimension that is created via Draw>Dimension (and then Horizontal, Vertical, etc.) I would like to be able to draw one of these, but to specify the dimension rather than measure it. It would be much like drawing a straight line with the mouse and then editing it to an exact dimension using the toolbar that displays the coordinates of the endpoints, the length, and the orientation in degrees. It seems simple enough. Nevertheless, I’ve not been able to find a ‘how to.’

Thanks again

baumgrenze

Message 4 of 6
Fred9002

If you mean that the dimension sizes itself based on what you wrote in, I don't know how to do that. 

If you mean that you can just type in the number instead of it loading a measured dimension:  Draw the dimension, then right click on it, the "Format Dimension" -> "Label" -> "Label Text", delete  the "<>" there , and type in the text that you want.

Sincerley,

Fred

Message 5 of 6
000jdi

Hi baumgrenze

You can click the dimension tool you want to use, click with teh mose gto set the first point of the dimension --> then hit r for relative input to come up then enter the x or y distance you want (The dimension value you need) hit enter and the dimension will be created to that length you entered.  Remember use negatives to place the 2nd point down  or left of the first point clicked if needed.

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason
Message 6 of 6
baumgrenze
in reply to: 000jdi

Thank you, Jason!

That is exactly what I want to do.

A Help file, when searched for solutions, is only as good as the index. My guess is that, had I known the term 'relative' with respect to dimensions, I would have found it. Otherwise not.

Thanks for taking the time to post the answer I wanted. I hope it is useful to others, too, and easier to find via a Google search for

Site:forums.autodesk.com/t5

baumgrenze

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report