Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoSketch 2.1 and Windows XP (Home) with Serv Pack 2

41 REPLIES 41
Message 1 of 42
robin.oram5
4552 Views, 41 Replies

AutoSketch 2.1 and Windows XP (Home) with Serv Pack 2

I have seen a few refs to this topic in this group but none seem to relate exactly to my problem.

I used nice and simple AutoSketch v2.1 for years on Win 3.1 and migrated in turn to 95, 98, and 98SE. I then upgraded to AutoSketch v 7, but don't like it much and I continued to use v2.1 in Win 98SE because it suited me better.

But, on upgrading computer to Win XP Home Edition I can't even open the v.2.1 program (although v.7 opens fine). All I get is this message.

"16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\Windows\System 32\ Autoexec.NT
This system file is not suitable for running MSDOS + MS Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate"

If I try to re-install from the original floppies I get the same message.

I realise it's a system problem probably not an AutoSketch problem. However, other people seem to have managed to use v. 2.1 on XP. Is there a workaround I could attempt ??

Would there be a way to copy across the v2.1 program files from the older machine, which I could do with my Bridge Cable program if it wasn't likely to foul up something else!

Suggestions will be really appreciated.
Robin Oram
41 REPLIES 41
Message 41 of 42
andrew-gray
in reply to: robin.oram5

Hello

I am new to this forum but would be grateful if anyone can help.

I used to use Autosketch many years ago with my Win 98 PC and it was great - just the right level of sophistcation without having to work hard to learn the elements I would never use.  I used it for fairly straightforward home projects, nothing too complicated and now find that I need it again - this time to design a new garden shed.  I know, what a wild, jet set life I lead!  I used to have the application on  3 3.5 inch discs but after many years I have finally lost them.  Unfortunately I cannot even recall the version of Autosketch I had.

If anyone can provide a source of older versions of the application I would be very grateful

Thanks

Andrew

Message 42 of 42
RobinOram
in reply to: andrew-gray

Hi Andrew

Like you, I used Autosketch v 2.1 for years on my Windows laptops, from Win v. 3.1 to 98SE then XP Home Edition. I did technical drawings of all sorts in my job and ... it was so easy.

I moved to a Mac with virtual Windows XP using VM Fusion. I was able to install and use AS 2.1 but never got the printing sorted out. At the same time my needs declined, and I do hardly any design work.

I have the old Windows laptop to hand if I want to do anything serious on AS.

I have found a number of sources claiming to provide downloads of AS 2.1, type in Google "Download Autosketch 2.1" and you'll see what I mean. I have no idea though if these do what they say, or if they are safe.

Good luck!

Robin Oram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report