AutoSketch

Edward Cox
Message 11 of 40 (1,576 Views)

Re: AutoSketch 2.1 and Windows XP (Home) with Serv Pack 2

05-27-2006 08:23 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
As a very happy 2.1 user since the dawn of time I now find that certain Modify tools cause a General Protection Fault (00A4:04A8).

The tools that cause most trouble are rotate, rescale.

The biggest pain is losing Rotate because I use it all the time in survey drawings for building.

I have applied the 'steps 1-7' fix, re-installed and re-started.

I am sure that someone will have a bright idea.

My version is the 1995 upgrade to windows.

Edward Cox
bobturner
Message 12 of 40 (1,576 Views)

06-30-2006 01:10 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
Hi
I had similar problem years ago with AS2.1 win2k.
If you look closely at the printout, you will see the EDGES of filled shape are the wrong color, whilst the fill is the correct color.
Try making a test drawing with assorted text in different colours and printing it, one of the colors will print as black, you can use this color in your drawing as a work-around, you may get similar color-swapping problems printing to a pdf file, and also pasting into Word.
Eventually we had to upgrade to AS8, (new printers kept getting installed with continuing problems with printer drivers)which I didn't really like at first, but now it seems generally better to work with.
Cheers, BobT
Patdunne
Message 13 of 40 (1,576 Views)

01-25-2007 11:02 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
I have the problem of using AutoSketch 2.1 with AutoSketch, the colors are wrong. I really like the 2.1 version, I also have ver 7 of auto sketch.but would like to keep using 2.1. does anyone have a fix

Regards Pat Dunne
JP652
Message 14 of 40 (1,576 Views)

02-14-2007 04:15 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
Edward:

I have had the same problems and have worked around the rotate problem by using the mirror function.

The rescale seems to work okay if I have a limited number of objects, otherwise I experience the same problems.

jp
pt1111
Message 15 of 40 (1,576 Views)

06-18-2007 10:09 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
Hello, just read your note here... I am now getting the same rotate error in AS2.1 [running on XP].. . Can I ask if you ever found a solution to the problem?

regards Message was edited by: pt1111
Fogchart
Message 16 of 40 (1,576 Views)

04-08-2008 02:52 PM in reply to: robin.oram5
After hours of trial and error. The General Protection Fault is being caused by my new monitor HP w2207h. Tech support for HP said NO New monitor on the market will work with such an old program like AS2.1 I do not feel this is correct, because for a while I had it working. I hope Tech support is all wet. But it is definitely the Monitor causing the Fault. Switching back to Dell Trinitron things work great.
*Harvey
Message 17 of 40 (1,576 Views)

04-08-2008 03:13 PM in reply to: robin.oram5
Fogchart wrote:
> After hours of trial and error. The General Protection Fault is being caused by my new monitor HP w2207h. Tech support for HP said NO New monitor on the market will work with such an old program like AS2.1 I do not feel this is correct, because for a while I had it working. I hope Tech support is all wet. But it is definitely the Monitor causing the Fault. Switching back to Dell Trinitron things work great.

Geez! Why do folks expect 15 year old programs to
work with spiffy new operating systems and even
newer peripherals? Maybe they will work for a few
minutes until the OS wises up and decides that the
ancient program deserves no further sustenance and
should be trundled off to the nursing home to
await the inevitable.

That's not to say that you shouldn't at least try.
A newer AS probably won't open your files anyway.
That's the way ADSK works these days. Time for a MAC!

_h
Fogchart
Message 18 of 40 (1,576 Views)

04-09-2008 11:09 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
Get off your high horse Harvey, post like yours helps no one, and you obviously don't have a clue why so many hold on to AS2. In a nut shell Harvey, AS2.1 is head and shoulders above later versions. Fact is Version 5 that was the next real revision was a major down grade. Not even the same program. The only resemblance was name only. The features lost were unbelievable. I’m guessing you have never used or really learned AS2.1. If you had, you would never make such a comment. AS2 is a very powerful 2D drawing program that I have won large bets on with people just like you. I can make 3D drawing that experts say were not be done with AS2. That is where I win my bets. My needs do not require 3D but I am very good with AS2, very good with it. Doubt but a handful know AS2 as well as I do. I make my living with it.

I bought both AS5 and AS7. Sold both on ebay for half price. It may very well be time to try AS9, but reading the manual for AS9 I’m not seeing the features I require. Guessing I’m not alone in that department. I make 95K a year with AS2, and not about to jeopardize my income. If that means finding ways to get newer hardware to work with it, then fine, that’s what we do. If it means using older hardware, then fine. We wait and hope someone some day will match what AS2 is capable of doing. AS5 and AS7 are not the answer. Not even close to what AS2 is capable of.

And that Harvey is why so many of us old horse’s are still running around. You don’t abandoned what works for something that does not work for you.

You made a statement AS9 will not import AS2 files. Do you know for a fact that is true? That makes little to no since to me. AS5 was capable of importing AS2, so why would they drop that feature. I will admit I did not try it with AS7. Once I saw multiple sheets and pages were not supported I boxed it up and sold it.

It truly is a crime that such a great program was butchered so badly with so called updated versions. From my point of view AS went down hill major after version 2.1 and obviously many others besides me feel the same. So we try our best to make it work on newer hardware. AS2 is not ready for the pasture just yet. Not until someone can match its capabilities.

Back to real subject to help others with “GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT” errors. This is a good indication that the memory of the hardware is using memory AS2 wants to use also. Another thing to check is your RAM. Bad memory can cause this error also.
*Harvey
Message 19 of 40 (1,576 Views)

04-09-2008 01:20 PM in reply to: robin.oram5
I will defer to your expertise on AS2.1. Maybe you
should know that ADSK bought DrafixCAD years ago
and re-introduced it as AS5. It's a totally
different program as far as I know and they
eliminated the macro feature in Drafix, one of
it's strong points.

I would not expect that any later version of AS
would open 2.1 but I'm not completely certain.
However I DO know that AS7 wouldn't open AS6 SKF
files. That's a little hint.

If you're making 95K/yr using 2.1 then it behooves
you to do what you're doing and use the Dell
monitor. The ad hominem stuff isn't necessary
either, but to each his own.

_h

Fogchart wrote:
> Get off your high horse Harvey, post like yours helps no one, and you obviously don't have a clue why so many hold on to AS2. In a nut shell Harvey, AS2.1 is head and shoulders above later versions. Fact is Version 5 that was the next real revision was a major down grade. Not even the same program. The only resemblance was name only. The features lost were unbelievable. I’m guessing you have never used or really learned AS2.1. If you had, you would never make such a comment. AS2 is a very powerful 2D drawing program that I have won large bets on with people just like you. I can make 3D drawing that experts say were not be done with AS2. That is where I win my bets. My needs do not require 3D but I am very good with AS2, very good with it. Doubt but a handful know AS2 as well as I do. I make my living with it.
>
> I bought both AS5 and AS7. Sold both on ebay for half price. It may very well be time to try AS9, but reading the manual for AS9 I’m not seeing the features I require. Guessing I’m not alone in that department. I make 95K a year with AS2, and not about to jeopardize my income. If that means finding ways to get newer hardware to work with it, then fine, that’s what we do. If it means using older hardware, then fine. We wait and hope someone some day will match what AS2 is capable of doing. AS5 and AS7 are not the answer. Not even close to what AS2 is capable of.
>
> And that Harvey is why so many of us old horse’s are still running around. You don’t abandoned what works for something that does not work for you.
>
> You made a statement AS9 will not import AS2 files. Do you know for a fact that is true? That makes little to no since to me. AS5 was capable of importing AS2, so why would they drop that feature. I will admit I did not try it with AS7. Once I saw multiple sheets and pages were not supported I boxed it up and sold it.
>
> It truly is a crime that such a great program was butchered so badly with so called updated versions. From my point of view AS went down hill major after version 2.1 and obviously many others besides me feel the same. So we try our best to make it work on newer hardware. AS2 is not ready for the pasture just yet. Not until someone can match its capabilities.
>
> Back to real subject to help others with “GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT� errors. This is a good indication that the memory of the hardware is using memory AS2 wants to use also. Another thing to check is your RAM. Bad memory can cause this error also.
robin.oram5
Message 20 of 40 (1,576 Views)

09-04-2008 06:35 AM in reply to: robin.oram5
The only solution I have found to this colour printing problem is to forgo the colour when it comes time to print, and set the printer properties to Black. Of course, the colour is still handy when making the drawing. But I have found that the problem only arises when trying to use a v. 2 drawing in v. 7, and that if I start and complete a drawing in v. 2, then the problem doesn't arise. Long live v. 2!
Robin Oram

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community