Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoSketch 2.1 Crashing Problem, Sketch caused a general protection fault”

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1047 Views, 5 Replies

AutoSketch 2.1 Crashing Problem, Sketch caused a general protection fault”

Please Help! I am having a “Sketch caused a general protection fault” nightmare!

I have Autosketch 2.1 and it keeps crashing on me. I find myself repeating hours of work time and time again. It seems to be the same message each time with a difference in the reference number depending on what i was doing to the drawing when it crashed. For example, if i try to export a drawing i get the dreaded "donk" noise with a message reading "An error has occurred in your application. If you chose to ignore you should save your work in a new file. If you choose to close your application will terminate" then if i choose to "close" or "ignore" i read the message "Sketched caused a general protection fault in your module sketch.exe at 000E:1AA8" As i said the reference number changes depending on what i am doing, E.G. "View Full Page" Ref "003C:15A5", "Print" Ref "0019:00C0", the list goes on but it is generally the same message body.

I have tried reloading the Software, i have tried saving my work step by step but when AutoSketch wants to crash it crashes regardless of the tweaks i have made in attempt to avoid this problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem, are there any patches, is there a number for an expert i can speak to, anything, please help!!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, me again, Additional Note, I have Windows XP
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

access123 wrote:
> Please Help! I am having a “Sketch caused a general protection fault” nightmare!
>
> I have Autosketch 2.1 and it keeps crashing on me. I find myself repeating hours of work time and time again. It seems to be the same message each time with a difference in the reference number depending on what i was doing to the drawing when it crashed. For example, if i try to export a drawing i get the dreaded "donk" noise with a message reading "An error has occurred in your application. If you chose to ignore you should save your work in a new file. If you choose to close your application will terminate" then if i choose to "close" or "ignore" i read the message "Sketched caused a general protection fault in your module sketch.exe at 000E:1AA8" As i said the reference number changes depending on what i am doing, E.G. "View Full Page" Ref "003C:15A5", "Print" Ref "0019:00C0", the list goes on but it is generally the same message body.
>
> I have tried reloading the Software, i have tried saving my work step by step but when AutoSketch wants to crash it crashes regardless of the tweaks i have made in attempt to avoid this problem.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem, are there any patches, is there a number for an expert i can speak to, anything, please help!!

Hey Access,

The advice from those who aren't on meds would be
to give up on 2.1, you shouldn't necessarily
expect a 15-yo program to work with the Vista OS.

The fact that people with even the latest
AutoSketch version occasionally report problems
with Vista, may mean that you should be running
2.1 on 98 or an earlier OS.

From a person who is _on_ meds: Sorry I can't be
more positive, but to increase your efficiency you
should try out a later version. The money you've
already spent trying to use 2.1 is probably 10
times the cost of AS V9.

Your choice, though.

HTH

H
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Completely understand what your saying, and yes it has cost me a lot with all the crashes. The problem i also have is i have AutoCad 2007 and AutoSketch 7, but they are too complcated for my simple mind, i know AutoSketch 2.1 like the back of my hand!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

access123 wrote:
> Completely understand what your saying, and yes it has cost me a lot with all the crashes. The problem i also have is i have AutoCad 2007 and AutoSketch 7, but they are too complcated for my simple mind, i know AutoSketch 2.1 like the back of my hand!

I wouldn't worry about AutoSketch, it's a very
short learning curve, especially if you get a hold
of Paul Jackson's book, Hands On A House.
www.resolv.com

And there's always this forum.

AutoCAD is a very STEEP learning curve, and not
worth the effort unless you want to take a class
or two, or you're in the CAD drawing business, or
you have a large engineering concern.

You're right that 2.1 is quite different from
AutoSketch programs V5 and later. ADSK bought out
and based all the revs on that
buy-out program.

I would install V7 and try it out. No command
line, just tools and an edit bar. And a useful
on-board Help function. And me of course, until I
switch to Mac. Oh, and a few others who know even
more than I do.

Also, be aware that I don't know if V7 will work
seamlessly in the Vista OS (I sit with XP-Pro and
have no desire to upgrade this old beast), so
you'll be on your own with that issue. But it's
certainly worth a try.

H
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Harvey.
P.S I have Windows XP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report