AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAVNG AS previous versions automatically

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
vero_d
27201 Views, 15 Replies

SAVNG AS previous versions automatically

hello,

I would like to know how can I configure cad for mac in such a way as to ALWAYS save my files in version 2004 automatically so that no one will have trouble opening my fles.

I used to have it configured like this on my PC but on my Mac I haven't found the "button".

Thank you,

Veronica

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: vero_d

Hi Veronica,

From Autodesk WikiHelp:

"Setting the default format for a drawing file can help when working in a mixed environment of AutoCAD users that are on different releases.

In AutoCAD for Microsoft Windows, there is a setting in the Options dialog box to set the default drawing file format that is used when using the SAVEAS command. The same setting is not in the Application Preferences dialog box on AutoCAD for Mac, but the setting can still be changed using the "DefaultFormatForSave" environment variable which is in AutoCAD for Microsoft Windows as well.

For example, the following sets the AutoCAD 2007/LT 2007 Drawing file format as the default format:

(setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "36")

Change "36" in the example above example to one of the following based on the default format you want to use:

1 - AutoCAD R12 DXF

12 - AutoCAD 2000 DWG
13 - AutoCAD 2000 DXF

24 - AutoCAD 2004 DWG
25 - AutoCAD 2004 DXF

36 - AutoCAD 2007 DWG
37 - AutoCAD 2007 DXF

48 - AutoCAD 2010 DWG
49 - AutoCAD 2010 DXF
50 - AutoCAD 2010 DWT"

So, in your case you have to type at command prompt (be attentive - variable name is case sensitive)

(setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24")

and hit Return

HTH

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 16
vero_d
in reply to: maxim_k

thanks a lot!

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

HI, I have AUTOCAD 2013 full version for MAC and I would like to know how can I configure cad for mac in such a way as to ALWAYS save my files in version 2004 automatically so that no one will have trouble opening my files. I already read the solution but I COULDN´T could you explain please, how can I put the (setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24") 

where??? inside the autocad ? in the command line??? I TRY A LOT BUT I DIDN´T FIND THE WAY I NEED HELP!!!! thank you!!!!

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Maxim wrote:

So, in your case you have to type at command prompt (be attentive - variable name is case sensitive)

Problem is CL won't let me do it. It deletes all text when I hit Space between words.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Marcel

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you for answered  but I typed in command line stenv enter and appears setvariable, if I type SETENV appears

(Unknown command "SETENV".  Press F1 for help. ) so I don´t know what it´s happening

I hope someone could help me!!!!

Message 7 of 16
maxim_k

Hi Marcel,

is an AutoLISP statement (may be you know about AutoLISP programming interface included with AutoCAD) - so in order to let AutoCAD to recognize the input from the command line as AutoLISP statement and let you to use spaces in the statement, you have to include it in parenthesis - start with ( and end with ).

@pattyvv1 - the same advice for you.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Maxim, 

Thought it looked like a LISP command but asked anyway just to make sure. Smiley Happy

Question is can I load AutoLISP under AC LT 2013? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks again,

Marcel

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Maxim, thank you for answed, I have a rutine of LISP, this rutine I had it since a long time ago, a friend of mine gave me, so in LOAD APLICCATION I load it, but I don´t know how I can change it? Could you explain me in which program can I change and how? I am sending to you my lisp rutine I hope you can help me... 

thank you!

Message 10 of 16
maxim_k

Hi,

For editing LSP files on Mac I'm using TextWrangler text editor - it is free and you can get it from App Store or from

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Another thing - what do you want to change in this file?

ACAD.LSP file has special meaning in AutoCAD, you can read about it in On-line Help:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDMAC/2013/ENU/filesACGMac/GUID-CFCBC49C-12B8-4B3A-8B52-BD60DA019BD3.htm?h...

As I see - ACAD.LSP file came to you from Windows version of AutoCAD, three commands, defined in it as S::STARTUP function won't be loaded because the paths to the .lsp files pointed to "Windows" based directory structure (for example - (load "c:/progra~1/autoca~1/chtext.lsp"))

Except this there are some syntax errors in this file (don't know where for now, because it is necessary to look through the whole file to find the errors).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

HI MAXIM, thank you for asking me, I wanted to change ACAD.LSP, adding the command (setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24") because basically I am using AUTOCAD 2013 for MAC and I wanted to save all my drawing in earlier versions like AUTOCAD 2010 because know I have to save each file one at a time. In the autodesk forums I read about adding this (setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24") in ACAD.LSP but I tried and It didn?t work I don?t know what I?m doing wrong. My ACAD.LSP is originally for windows but I put it in LOAD APPLICATION and it works. I already paste in TEXTWANGLER the row (setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24"), saved and added in autocad 2013 the rutine (ACAD.LSP) and nothing happens, in command line I wrote SETENV and nothing... so I?m lost. If you could help me I really appreciate it. THANKS A LOT PATTY * *
Message 12 of 16
maxim_k

HI PATTY,

You don't need to put (setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24") statement to ACAD.LSP file, because once you set "DefaultFormatForSave" environment variable to 24 it stays 24 (all drawings will be saved in 2004 format from this point in all future sessions of AutoCAD) until you change it to another value.

So you need to issue this AutoLISP statement at the command prompt only once:

Command: (setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "24") <- Hit Return here
"24"

You can check variable with:

Command: (getenv "DefaultFormatForSave") <- Hit Return here
"24"

As you see you should get "24" after you hit Return.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

wauw!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!! THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate you help, this was driving me crazy!!!!! THANK YOU PATTY
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

I am trying to do this same thing on AutoCAD 2012 LT for mac, and I can't make this LISP command work. I would love to be able to save as earlier version, because I need to collaborate with someone who is working in 2007. Is there any way to make this happen with 2012LT?

Message 15 of 16
maxim_k

Hi,

You can try the solution here:

http://macacad.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/setting-default-format-for-save-in-autocad-lt-for-mac/

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

that worked, thanks!

Lars

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost