AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D and printing questions

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Nikita_X
2980 Views, 1 Reply

3D and printing questions

Hi everyone,

I'm here to see if there any expert can help me out.

I'm not a new user of AutoCAD but I'm a new user of AutoCAD for Mac. I had 2 years experience on using AutoCAD to make 2D and 3D drawing at school(on pc). It's been a while since the last time I used AutoCAD. Now, my job mostly involved 3d modelling in Sketchup and Autocad. I'm able to produce drawings base on my experience. However, I want to find ways to make myself more productive. Our office use Mac rather than PC, and the software versions I have are for mac. That's why a whole bunch of questions arose. 

I have quite a few questions about AutoCAD, mostly related to 3D and printing. I hope I can find some answers from you.

1. Even I changed the print quality to max. in page setup. The lines of the 3d object still came out zigzag on the print. (Please see example from the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63525071@N04/6130208295/in/photostream)

2. I set the plot style as monochrome, but print still came out with colors.

3. I put dimension on layout space. But when I switched from layout to layout, the dimension lines became out off the paper area.(Please see example from the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63525071@N04/6130758584/in/photostream)

4. How do I put dimension in layout space for 3d perspective view without using plugin software.

5. Can I import a dimension style from another file, so I don't have to repeat the same procedure for each file?

6. How do I use the same viewport scales that I've set in a precious file in my current file, so I don't have to add custom viewport scale again and again. Is there a way to make a template or sth.? 

7. How do I make a detail view of a 3d object in layout space without making an extra copy of the detail along the existing object?

8. Can I make a section view directly from the 3D model in layout space without redrawing a section view in 2D in the same file?

9. Why there is error message during opening my file, and said that I need to run recover command? (Please see example from the following link:http://www.flickr.com/photos/63525071@N04/6130207781/in/photostream)

10. This situation happened once so far: In the layout space, the whole page can not be zoom out, only the activated view port window can be zoom in and out. (Please see example from the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63525071@N04/6130207555/in/photostream)

Any advise would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MidnightBlue
in reply to: Nikita_X

1:  Pixelated Output

Most visual styles output raster images, thus the pixelation.  You could try adjusting the quality setting to custom and increasing the dpi higher than 300.

2: Plot Styles vs. Visual Styles

But, don't bother if you want to use a plot style.  Plot styles work separately from the visual styles.  The "legacy hidden" and "legacy wireframe" shade plot settings are the only options if you want to utilize a plot style.  In addition to controlling color, these two settings are the only options if you want to control lineweight in a plot of 3D objects.  Legacy hidden and legacy wireframe output vector information, not raster files, which won't have the same pixelation problems you're having now.  

When I set up my layouts, I make sure the visual style is 2D wireframe in the viewport, and set the shade plot to legacy hidden.  Do this either by using the mview command or selecting the viewport and changing the shade plot in the properties inspector.  You will not see the results onscreen, but if you print or preview, your output will be a hidden line style, and reflect the plot style you've chosen.

If you want to use visual styles and have black and white output, either use greyscale colors when you draw, or create a custom visual style that has monochrome faces.   

4.  Dimensioning in Perspective

As far as I know, you can't dimension in perspective.  You can put in a dimension, and override the text, if necessary.

5.  Import dimensions

The easiest way to import a dimension style is to copy a dimension object from another drawing into your current drawing.  The plot style will come with it and you can make it current in your active drawing.

6.  Template Files

You can set a template file by creating a blank autocad file and save it as a .dwt.  Make enough variations to cover the work you typically do, and customize each template to a task.  Include text styles, dimension styles, layouts, layer structures, blocks, etc that you use frequently.  

8.  Sections in Layout Space

Not really.  Look into Solproof and Solview, Section & Livesection.  Also consider drawing the section within your object on a layer you can turn on and off.  3DCLIP could create a section-like view, but it is not available on the mac platform.

9.  Recover & Errors

Errors happens.  Use the recover command to open a drawing, and fix errors.  Or audit a currently open file & repair errors -save, close and reopen if necessary.  

10. Stuck in Viewports  

If you get "stuck" in a viewport, typing the PSPACE command can bring you back to your layout.  If you can see blank layout space, that is not a viewport, doubleclicking in paperspace will also take you out of the viewport.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost