AutoCAD for Mac General

ryanwhitacre
Message 1 of 37 (4,118 Views)

xrefs on network

4118 Views, 36 Replies
11-17-2010 02:48 PM

I'm having a bit of trouble with AutoCAD for Mac and opening xrefs over a network.  Specifically, if I have a file open in ACAD for Mac on my machine and someone else using ACAD for Windows tries to open up a file that references the file I have open, that xref will not display on their screen.  If I close the file and they re-open the file that references the file I just closed, it shows up just fine.  It does the same thing in the opposite direction as well - if I try to open a file that contains an xref opened on a Windows machine, it won't show up either.  If I try to directly open up another file that someone else has open, I do receive the appropriate read-only dialog window.  We're using a MacMini Server w/ OS X 10.6 Server and running Windows with the newest version of Parallels if that makes any difference.  Thanks!

alex951978
Message 2 of 37 (4,035 Views)

Re: xrefs on network

01-09-2011 08:54 AM in reply to: ryanwhitacre

Hi there,

Same problem here.

So far I've managed to understand that this is caused due to the different path names that exist in the same network: e.g. (windows pc running in a windows server network) "\\server\projects\2011\xref" and (mac pc running in a windows server network) "volumes/server/project/2011/xref".

If the mac user saves his system path, all other users wont be able to open acad files with xref correctly attached and the same happens when the opposite occurs.

I still dont know how to solve this.

Any ideia?

thanks and best regards,

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 3 of 37 (4,026 Views)

01-09-2011 12:37 PM in reply to: alex951978

Hi alex,

I have an idea.

You can use a Project name in your drawings.

From AutoCAD 2011 (for Windows) help:

"Use Project Names to Define Referenced Drawing Paths

Project names make it easier for you to manage xrefs when drawings are exchanged between customers or if you have different drive mappings to the same location on a server. The project name points to a section in the registry that can contain one or more search paths for each project name defined.

If the program cannot find an xref at the location specified by the search path, the prefix (if any) is stripped from the path. If the drawing has a PROJECTNAME value set and a corresponding entry exists in the registry, the program searches for the file along the project search paths. If the xref still is not located, the program search path is searched again.

You can add, remove, or modify the project names that exist in the registry. The folder search paths beneath the project name can also be added, removed, or modified.

The search paths beneath the project name can be added, removed, or modified in the same manner as the project name. The order in which the folders are searched can also be modified. Projects and their search paths can only be edited through the Files tab in the Options dialog box. You cannot edit project names at the Command prompt.

Once you have established a project name and the search paths you want associated with that project name, you can make that project name the currently active project. The program searches the paths associated with that currently active project for xrefs that were not found in the current folder of the host drawing, the full search path, the current drawing folder, or the program support paths."

So you have to add Project(s) in AutoCAD for Mac Application Preferences (1 Application Tab -> 2 Project Files Search Path -> 3 + (at the buttom of dialog) -> 4 name your project (or leave default "Project1") -> 5 Open "Project1" -> 6 Select "Empty" entry -> 7 Select "Change Path" and point to your "volumes/server/project/2011/xref" folder (in my case it is another name)

Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 23.10.14.png

So, on Mac side you have:

Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 23.10.24.png

Then open your drawing, open Application Preferences, select "Project1" and select "Set Current" from "gear" button. Now PROJECTNAME sytem variable in your DWG is "Project1", and it is saved with DWG file.

Then you can insert Xrefs in drawing (even with "No Path" option")

On Windows side create the Project in Options with the same name as in Mac and in you drawing ("Project1") and set the path for this project "\\server\projects\2011\xref" (in my case it is another name):

Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 23.27.47.png

Now if you open your DWG with Xrefs on Mac or on Windows - AutoCAD will search Xrefs in the Project Files Search Path, ie in "\\server\projects\2011\xref" on Windows and in "volumes/server/project/2011/xref" on Mac, in fact the both paths points to the same place, and we were"told" about this to AutoCAD through the Project feature.

HTH

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

Mentor
BernardMadoff
Message 4 of 37 (4,017 Views)

01-09-2011 08:16 PM in reply to: ryanwhitacre

when referencing any data in AutoCAD its wise to use RELATIVE path rather than FULL path.

This way it does not matter what your front end path is

alex951978
Message 5 of 37 (3,959 Views)

01-14-2011 05:10 AM in reply to: ryanwhitacre

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, it was very explanatory.

I'm trying to make it work but so far with no success and I'm still trying to find why.

Best regards,

alex

miogas
Message 6 of 37 (3,892 Views)

01-19-2011 07:42 AM in reply to: ryanwhitacre

I use 2 computers with AUTOCAD FOR MAC (MAC PRO and I MAC). 

I have two problems.
-When user NO.1 work on file "1.dwg", other user NO.2 open the same file "1.dwg" and he can work in it an save it. Normally user NO.2 can open file just read only.

-When user NO.1 work on file "1.dwg", other user NO.2 cant not see xref of "1.dwg" in the file "2.dwg".  If user No.1 close "1.dwg" and user NO.2 reload xref file it work perfect.

any solutions??

THANKS

alex951978
Message 7 of 37 (3,877 Views)

01-19-2011 04:24 PM in reply to: miogas

Hello,

From what I've experienced and read, your question is about a known issue, regarding file sharing/acess on MAC OS.

I think we just have to live with that... unless anyone knows it better!

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 8 of 37 (3,868 Views)

01-19-2011 09:27 PM in reply to: alex951978

Hi alex,

I think you're absolutely right.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

miogas
Message 9 of 37 (3,671 Views)

02-09-2011 07:18 AM in reply to: ryanwhitacre

We have the same problem with 3 mac machines. We have mac pro and 2 I macs. One of the I macs is for file sharing. On this one we can work with xrefs and can open READ ONLY if somebody work on file.. If somebody work on the file other two in network cant see this xref except The machine where are files.

So we solve the problem with Automator. Automator duplicate project folder with dwg-s. So we link al xrefs on the duplicate, so now we can all use xrefs. Some kind Finstones solution:smileyvery-happy:.But we hope that will work in next version.

Second thing:

If I open file in the machine where files are, than other two users can in some time open the same file with "OPEN A COPY"---not READ ONLY.

If I open file on other machine, than I can open  "Read only" on machine where are files, on the third machine I cant open the file. I get mesage "The DWG file is in use. Unable to open Drawing". 

If I click in finder ob file and Get info there is everything OK "read & write"....But if I copy file in finder and paste it on the my desktop it say that I cant copy it. So I think there is problem with "dwl" file which is hidden and is near the file when its opened.

Whats depend that you get WOULD YOU LIKE OPEN READ ONLY or WOULD YOU LIKE OPEN A COPY window???

Some more ideas:smileyvery-happy:

Have a nice day.

Mitja

Valued Contributor
john
Message 10 of 37 (3,325 Views)

03-29-2011 11:46 AM in reply to: alex951978

Full path, no path, relative path, makes no difference in my office.  I was just thinking that all of my files exist on my Snow Leopard Server and the windows machines have no problem at all.  They are all connecting with the SMB service on the server.  I wonder if mounting the server volumes as SMB instead of AFP will solve the problem?  I will try that and let you know.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community