AutoCAD for Mac General

Contributor
chris
Message 21 of 37 (399 Views)

Re: xrefs on network

01-17-2013 12:03 PM in reply to: alex951978

im not sure how to specify relative path on Mac, i guess i have only been using default. is it possible to make this the default setting accross all files?

File sharing also seems still to be an issue - i also am having problems with 'read only' warning messages.  on some investigation, seems .dwl & .dwl2 files are not being deleted, struggling to even manyually delete them.  all very strange.  any advice would be great

Valued Contributor
john
Message 22 of 37 (398 Views)

01-17-2013 01:31 PM in reply to: chris

I always use "No Path".   The problem that I have had with relative path in the past is that it can actually grab a file out of the trash.  Have had this problem on both Mac and Windows platforms in days of yore.

See attached screenshot.

Contributor
chris
Message 23 of 37 (391 Views)

01-17-2013 06:47 PM in reply to: john

Thanks, that makes sense.  Is it possible to have this activated as a default setting for all xrefs? and is it possible to change that setting on existing drawings with xrefs already attached 

Contributor
chris
Message 24 of 37 (385 Views)

01-17-2013 08:25 PM in reply to: chris

Also, any thoughts on the .dwl files not beinbg deleted?

Valued Contributor
john
Message 25 of 37 (378 Views)

01-18-2013 07:58 AM in reply to: chris

Have not figured out how to change the default.  I expect it is a variable buried somewhere in one of the app package files, but I have not taken the time to find it.

If the dwl file is not getting deleted, that generally tends to indicate that users are not properly closing out of the file.  For example, if a user has a bunch of files on the server open on a laptop and they take the laptop home without closing the files before they yank the laptop out of the office, then you will end up with lots of stray dwl files that will cause problems. These all need to be manually deleted.

Also, if autocad crashes then dwl files will be left on the server that need to be manually deleted.

Employee
wei503
Message 26 of 37 (365 Views)

01-21-2013 08:01 PM in reply to: john

On AutoCAD 2013 for Windows, there is a new function to switch the xref path type via Xref Manager. See screenshot. But this function is not available on Mac yet. And if you have lot of existing files need to update, this is not convenient.

About deleting the dwl files, you can either delete them manually or use some simple scripts in Terminal Window like:

rm <folder>/*.dwl

rm <folder>/*.dwl2

Thanks,
Wei

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 27 of 37 (358 Views)

01-22-2013 11:21 PM in reply to: chris

chris wrote:

..and is it possible to change that setting on existing drawings with xrefs already attached 

Hi Chris,

I'm little bit late, but anyway:

In order to change Saved path to "No path" you have to put all referenced files to the same folder as your "master" DWG resides, open "master" DWG with Xrefs in AutoCAD, open Reference manager, select Xref you want to change path, in "Found at" field of Reference manager for this reference erase everything, except the name of drawing and hit Return, save drawing - then you will get "No path" for that reference.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

jamie.lee
Message 28 of 37 (213 Views)

08-05-2013 05:07 PM in reply to: maxim_k

Hello, 

I'm having the same problem and I'm very frustrated!!! Office use Windows PC and I'm using a mac laption to access the main office server. We've just realised all the xref paths are missing.  I have changed "File Search Path" to the project name as you explained above. However, AutoCAD LT on office pc does not have "File Search Path" under "Options" as shown in your image. WHAT DO WE DO???? 

Please help. we cannot work like this... 

Kind regards,

jamie 

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 29 of 37 (209 Views)

08-05-2013 06:28 PM in reply to: ryanwhitacre
Hi Jamie,
Which version AutoCAD LT on PC you are using at your office?

Maxim
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

jamie.lee
Message 30 of 37 (203 Views)

08-05-2013 07:46 PM in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim, 

We use 2013 LT and 2009 LT on office PCs. I have 2013 on my MAC. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you

kind regards, 

Jamie 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community