AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xref reference name change

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mzarchs
6840 Views, 3 Replies

xref reference name change

In AutoCad LT 2007, I was able to change the name of an xref so that reference to those layers in the xref could be more easily identified.  For example, an xreferenced exisitng floor plans name could be changed to XXPLAN even though the path would still be to the file with job number, name, drawing number, etc.  With the changed name, those layers would always be short, descriptive, at the end of the list, and out of the way with the other xreferences:  XELEV, XDETAILS, etc.  So is it possible to change the reference name in LT 2013 for Mac?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
maxim_k
in reply to: mzarchs

Hi,

In AC LT for Mac you have to change the name of the external reference block (as changing the name of Xref in Xrefs palette doesn't work - not sure is it a bug or feature Smiley Happy ).

Call RENAME command, rename Xref block - select Block category from the left, double-click Xref block name on the right side of dialog, enter new name (add "X" at the beginning, for example). Close RENAME dialog.

You won't see changes in Layers names at this time in Layers palette, but if you close drawing and open it again - you will see the changes in Layers palette.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 4
mzarchs
in reply to: maxim_k

That worked perfectly as described.  You are a wealth of information.  Thanks for this advice and all the previous.

Message 4 of 4
aurbanVPQGG
in reply to: mzarchs

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but TIL this after 25 @#$%$ years. But I digress. This is quite useful if you have an XREF that you have an update drawing say, from an architect, scaled and rotated to fit your GIS based project and you don't want to go through the rigmarole of detach/reattaching, just browse from the Saved path field to the new drawing then (now that I know this is a thing) Rename the "block" to the new drawing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost