AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"WHIP failed to initialize" message on newer MacBook Pro

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ooeybc
3746 Views, 8 Replies

"WHIP failed to initialize" message on newer MacBook Pro

Why do I suddenly get a "WHIP failed to initialize" message when opening a file in Autocad 2013 for Mac on a 2010 MacBook Pro with a compatible graphics card? It has been working fine until a few days ago. My wife updated from a student copy of Autocad 2011 for Mac last year and has had no problems until now. The only answer according to the brain trust at @autodeskhelp is to get a new graphics card. I'm doing a system diagnostic now. But as far as I know the graphics card is working just fine. The autodeskhelp crew suggested I might need to update with the latest service pack but that made no difference either.

Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 6.2

OS X version 10.6.8

Intel Core i7

2.66 GHz

4 MB RAM

512K VRAM

Display: 1440 x 900

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 330M

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: ooeybc

Hi,

Do you get this alert permanently from now? Or it was just one time?
Which of two graphics cards is current now (look for settings in Energy saver)?
BTW I've seen such alert on Hackintosh PC, the graphic card of PC was capable of running AutoCAD for Mac, but video driver was one of hand-made kexts. Maybe it is something wrong in a function of video driver on your Mac? Have you tried to restart Your Mac?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 9
pendean

Updated, or downgraded, video card drivers may be a quicker fix to try first.
Message 4 of 9
ooeybc
in reply to: maxim_k

Do you get this alert permanently from now? Or it was just one time?

It's every time I attempt to start to open the program or open a .dwg file in the program.

Which of two graphics cards is current now (look for settings in Energy saver)?

Not sure what you mean by this. There are no settings I can see in the Energy saver settings for the Mac.

BTW I've seen such alert on Hackintosh PC, the graphic card of PC was capable of running AutoCAD for Mac, but video driver was one of hand-made kexts. Maybe it is something wrong in a function of video driver on your Mac? Have you tried to restart Your Mac?

Yes I have tried to restart the Mac several times, to know effect.

Message 5 of 9
ooeybc
in reply to: pendean

How do I do that?

Message 6 of 9
wei503

Hi,

I saw this alert before, but a little different than your case. I saw the alert at the first launch after installed.

What I did was just to re-install. Can you try to re-install autocad and see if the alert gone? Please make sure you uncheck the "Leave prefereces on my computer" option during uninstallation.

Thanks,

Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 7 of 9
ooeybc
in reply to: wei503

I updated from 2011 to 2013 online, so I'm not sure how I would reinstall. I'll look into it. However, this happened after a year of use with no issues, so I'm not sure it will help.

I may upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion, which I hope includes new drivers.

Message 8 of 9
maxim_k

I think, that Wei's advice could be a good solution. You can download AutoCAD 2013 for Mac installer from Autodesk site (download trial and use your serial to activate).

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 9 of 9
ooeybc

Thanks everyone. I don't know what the specific problem was, but I deleted and re-installed the software and now it seems to be working fine (touch wood).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost