AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to compare my mac acad experience with others

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
519 Views, 8 Replies

need to compare my mac acad experience with others

I do have another post in regards to this issue, but would like to get some feedback in general.  I used Acad on a PC for many years (started with v13 in DOS), and have consequently learned to enter commands very quickly without any hesitation on the part of the PC.  I retired a couple of years ago from practicing architecture full time, but every once in a while I do a small project.  Because of my son's enthusiasm for his Mac, I decided to make that change from a PC to  a Mac, and I've not regretted that one bit.  So now I purchased a copy of Acad LT 2013 for Mac but am getting these brief delays from both kbd entry and icon command selection.  For example, if I type in EX for extend, the E comes up right away, but the X takes sometimes several seconds to show.  By that time I would have normally entered the numerical distance and completed the command.  

I am expecting my Mac (an early 2011 Macbook Pro with i5 and 8GB ram) to be as responsive as my PC was, am I being unreasonable in this?  

Does anyone else experience that little delay from kbd or icon command entry to seing it come up in the command line dialog box?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm wondering if this may be a graphics card/display problem.

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Message 3 of 9
maxim_k

Hi Joe,

I already tried to help you with this issue here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/New-to-Mac-version/td-p/3894508

And as I see the problem is not resolved yet.

Now I have one additional question:

Do you have some third-parity application (such as TextExpander) or some active service (such as "Enable Slow Keys" in Accessibility pane of Mac OS System preferences), that interact with keyboard input on your Mac?

BTW: here is discussion about TextExpander in Apple Support Comunity:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3240060?start=0&tstart=0

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

I apologize for the second post on same problem, but I'm trying to approach it a little differently as I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much out of this macbook pro, since the only thing I have to compare it to is my own previously owned pc which had a very fast overclocked i7 and high end graphics card.  The thing is that I'm doing straight 2d autocad, and even on lesser pc's have never experienced the delays from input to seeing it on the screen as on this mac (which I do like very much by the way).

To answer your questions, I do not have text expander, and have slow keys turned off.

Message 5 of 9
maxim_k

I used AutoCAD for Mac for some time on 2011 Mac Mini (i5, 8Gb RAM) and have not seen such delays at all.

How long are these delays?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

That's really good to hear and gives me hope. The delays vary, but I would say, maybe one or two seconds....long enough where I have to wait just momentarily (constantly) as it takes longer to show on the screen than it takes for me to type it.

I have taken this issue up with Applecare, and so far only have run the disk utility which showed no problems. I'm in the middle of a job that is pressed for time, so would really like to get it resolved so I can be more productive the next few weeks, but at the same time feel anxious about investing too much time in finding the problem/solution because I'm already falling behind some.
Message 7 of 9
maxim_k

Do you have enough free space on your HDD to create additional partition or an external USB HDD (free from data)?

In your place I would try to make a fresh installation of Mac OS into this new partition (or external HDD), install only AutoCAD in this system and test it. This could eliminate current OS problems (if any) and if you will install the new System to an external HDD eliminate HDD problems (if any).

After testing you can safely delete partition and expand your current partition back.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

That sounds like a good strategy and that's something I could do an evening this week. I've not done it on a Mac, not even sure if I have a mac osx (Lion) disk, but should not be too hard to figure out how to do.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I've reloaded Mac osx and still the delays.  As I'm using the Mac version I'm finding myself significantly less productive, it does not have as full functionality which I've gotten used to on the Win version, so all things considered, I'm going back to the Win version, which runs very fast even on an old P4 running windows xp.  I appreciate your efforts to help me with the Acad LT for Mac issues.  Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost