AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 11 of 19 (448 Views)

Re: large format PDF files

08-13-2012 06:48 PM in reply to: gregory

Hi Gregory,

In order to improve the situation try to change "line end style" and "line join style" in your CTB file from "diamond" and "miter" to "Use object line end style" and "Use object join style" option accordingly.

PS. Unfortunately I'm not in LA area, but rather on the other side of the world (Moscow, Russia)

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

Active Contributor
gregory
Message 12 of 19 (439 Views)

08-14-2012 09:19 AM in reply to: maxim_k

Dude!  You're amazing!

Thanks so much!

-G

kdahl81
Message 13 of 19 (423 Views)

08-22-2012 11:13 AM in reply to: makitecture

I recently switched to using AutoCAD for MAC, and I am trying to find out whether you can print to PDF with NO printer installed with a MAC computer. Basically, if I work from home, (I do not have any physical printer), but still need to send my clients drawings. I cannot figure out a workaround since previously i used the DWG to PDF option. I don't understand how any home office could use MAC version of AutoCAD with this type of limitation.

Also i have had issues with the quality when I have had access to printer, and then choose the "save as PDF". The lines seem to have wacky vector points and text is warped and elongated. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Active Contributor
gregory
Message 14 of 19 (419 Views)

08-22-2012 11:25 AM in reply to: kdahl81

If you have a printer installed already but it's not online you can still print PDF's...  Do you not have any printers installed?

kdahl81
Message 15 of 19 (417 Views)

08-22-2012 11:41 AM in reply to: gregory

No printers installed on my home computer. Never had a need in the digital world of 2012. So AutoCAD for MAC requires users to have at least one printer to be installed in order to print anything to PDF? I read another post where someone recommended to install a phantom (fake printer) but I have no idea how to do this and also resent AutoDesk, Apple, and Adobe for not figuring this out.

Valued Contributor
David_Stacey
Message 16 of 19 (413 Views)

08-22-2012 03:09 PM in reply to: makitecture
All you need to do is install an IP printer in System Preferences (same place as you'd install a physical printer). Make up a fake (but valid) ip address and away you go.
I also recommend you install the Gutenprint drivers first. Just google for this.
I use a HP Designjet driver but you could choose something else if you want.
kdahl81
Message 17 of 19 (401 Views)

08-26-2012 07:25 PM in reply to: gregory
No printers installed on my home computer. Never had a need in the digital world of 2012. So does AutoCAD for MAC requires users to have at least one printer to be installed in order to print anything to PDF? I read another post where someone recommended to install a phantom (fake printer) but I have no idea how to do this and also resent AutoDesk, Apple, and Adobe for not figuring this out.
Valued Contributor
David_Stacey
Message 18 of 19 (401 Views)

08-26-2012 07:41 PM in reply to: kdahl81

Installing a 'fake' printer is easy.  

1. Go to System Preferences, Click on 'Print and Scan'.

2. Click on the '+' icon to adda new printer

3. At the top of the Add Printer window, click on IP

4. Protocol should be IPP, use 203.56.1.20 or some other made up IP address

5. Queue can be left blank

6. Select a printer from 'Print Using'

7. Click on 'Add' button.

If you install the Gutenprint drivers for Mac OS X, you can use a different printer driver like HP Designjet (or similar) so that you can print to large format page sizes as well (without having to add custom paper sizes).

pgbradley27
Message 19 of 19 (167 Views)

02-02-2014 12:19 PM in reply to: maxim_k

Dear Autodesk community,

I’ve been struggling with the conversion of some house plan DWG files to PDF for a few days now. The advice here finally solved the problem for me. I downloaded AutoCAD LT and ‘virtual’ printed the file via the ‘print’ -> ‘PDF’ option on our MacBook. The DWG files were A1 size and so I had to add a custom size paper to the print options from my home (standard) Epson printer but this was straightforward and A1 came up as a choice within the 'gears' of custom paper size. I had tried solidworks e-print software and even downloading Adobe Acrobat to try and do this conversion but it was without success.

Thanks very much to everyone for their advice and especially Maxim who obviously took time explaining things to us.

Thanks and kind regards. Peter

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community