AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extruding shapes imported from illustrator

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
nadph10
7620 Views, 23 Replies

extruding shapes imported from illustrator

Hi,

I'm currently having some trouble using Illustrator shapes imported in Autocad 2013. The shapes are created using illustrator CS6 (no line / no fill), exported for Autocad 2004/2005/2006 as a dwg file. This dwg is imported as a block in Autocad without trouble. The shapes appear in Autocad as Splines. OK.

I designed a shape (using illustrator) that I want to extrude in Autocad, I can import it, it is nicely displayed as a spline, but the problem is I can't extrude it.

So I tried to do the same with simpler shapes :
- Square drawn using square tool -> Ok, can be extruded
- Circle drawn using circle tool -> Ok, can be extruded
- Hand drawn polygon using plume tool (closed shape) -> Ok, can be extruded
- Hand drawn shape with some curves using plume tool (closed shape) -> CAN'T BE EXTRUDED
- Complex shape (square and circle partially merged together using pathfinder) -> Ok, can be extruded
- My shape (heatsink section) closed shape -> Can't be extruded

You can see shapes here : http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5466/capturedcran20130111162.png

It mostly works, but it seem that I can't extrude shapes that have hand drawn curves ?

Has anyone already experienced this ? Am I missing something (Autocad Newbie) or is it an incompatibility issue ?

Thanks for your help,

Julien

Tags (2)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
wei503
in reply to: nadph10

Hi Julien,

Are the objects imported shown as Spline type or block type? You can see the object type by selecting it and it is shown in Properties Inspector.

If it is block type, you can explode it and then extrude.

If it is shown as Spline type, can you please share a simple drawing with the object?

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 3 of 24
nadph10
in reply to: wei503

Hi,

Please find the files here : http://cloud.julienmaire.fr/public/shapes.zip

Above the line, shapes created whith AI preset tools. Under the line, Hand drawn shapes using plume tool.

I thought I couldn't  extrude the hand drawn shapes containing curves. But I have been able to extrude a hand drawn circle, but if change the way I make it, I can not extrude it anymore (see the 2 circles at the bottom, one has handles on the closing point, the other has no handles on the closing point). I don't understand...

Thanks for your help

Message 4 of 24
maxim_k

Hi Julien,

I examined your files and have found, that when I attempt to extrude shapes, that you can not extrude, I get an error from AutoCAD:

Modeling Operation Error:
     Sweep self intersects
Unable to extrude the selected object.

That means, that these shapes (they are splines in fact) have self-intersections, but AutoCAD can not extrude such objects. You will ask: why they have self-intersections? - I don't exactly know, maybe Illustrator created them in such a way.

If you really need to make 3D Solids from these shapes you can, for example, use LOFT command instead of EXTRUDE. Just copy the shape in extrusion direction to the required distance and create Loft object using original shape and it's copy. In your drawing this works only for "comb". For others I first converted them to Polylines with SPLINEDIT or PEDIT command and then extruded as usual.

See attached DWG - red objects.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 24
GroupFMG

Hi Julien,

I had the same problem. Some of the splines extrude and some wont. Even after extrusion i've got problem with extruded shapes with union and subtract commands.

As a workaround, I've used the pedit command on splines and converted them to plines. Everything worked fine after that.

Hope this helps to solve your problem.

Regards,

Phani

Message 6 of 24
nadph10
in reply to: GroupFMG

Thanks guys for your help !

Message 7 of 24
LivLuvLiz

Could you please explain:

"If you really need to make 3D Solids from these shapes you can, for example, use LOFT command instead of EXTRUDE. Just copy the shape in extrusion direction to the required distance and create Loft object using original shape and it's copy. In your drawing this works only for "comb". For others I first converted them to Polylines with SPLINEDIT or PEDIT command and then extruded as usual."

i don't know how to do this.

Thanks,

Liz

Message 8 of 24
maxim_k
in reply to: LivLuvLiz

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi Liz,

Here is some links to video tutorials about using LOFR command:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsktTFZe6ho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArkJwtAZKrY

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 24
LivLuvLiz
in reply to: maxim_k

My shapes I imported with illustrator wont "loft" either. I can use the loft tool when i draw shapes with the autocad tools.

Message 10 of 24
LivLuvLiz

I have a logo I have imported from illustrator. I want to extrude the entire thing .03". It has some holes in it which illustrator would call a "compound path." I am capable of extruding most of them. What I need to do is subtract some of the shapes from the other shape. This is seemingly simple but this is day 3 of this project and I don't understand what the problem is. What I would like to do is extrude the entire thing and use the press/pull tool to subtract the parts that I need removed. My computer stops working when I select this tool. I am trying to find a way to use the subtract tool but so far have not been successful.
Message 11 of 24
maxim_k

Could you attach the problem group of shapes here?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 24
LivLuvLiz

Hi Maxim,

Sorry I just replied to your email. I expect you didn't get it. any way here is the problem I am having with autocad. 

I have attached a .dwg file that I am trying to extrude. I want it to look like the shape in the jpg I have attached. So I need the solid black shapes to be .03" thick and then the negative white areas to be cut out of the disk.  I have been trouble shooting this for a while. I can't seem to get it to work. Like I said this was a vector made in illustrator. I am new at AutoCAD so there is also a learning curve.  What I would like to do is use the press/pull option but my computer freezes up.  I can't get the add subtract to work and I have tried the suggestions in this post.  Thank you very much for your help.

Message 13 of 24
maxim_k

Hi Liz,

Yes, splines exported from Illustrator sometimes make troubles in AutoCAD, and my advice is to convert them to polylines (with PEDIT command) and then make 3D objects from resulting polylines.

I attached DWG file wit your LOGO, you can see 4 stages in it:

1. original splines from Illustrator

2. polylines converted from splines, i also marked polylines which can not be extruded: yellow - open polyline and cyan - self-interseting polyline. I corrected them

and in stage

3. you can see region objects created from closed polylines with REGION command. I also used SUBTRACT command for creating these regions

4. then I extruded regions

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 24
LivLuvLiz

i keep trying to respond. I cant tell if you're getting my mesages.  

Message 15 of 24
LivLuvLiz

just saw this. thanks!

Message 16 of 24
maxim_k

And...
Does my respond solved your problem?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 24
LivLuvLiz

I can't open these with my version of autocad.  I have 2012. Can you save it for that version?

Message 18 of 24
maxim_k

Yes, please

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 24
maxim_k

Yes, please

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 24
LivLuvLiz

What do you say when it says "specify percision?"

what do you say when it says "enter an option?"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost