AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.dwg files mistakenly opening in Illustrator

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
9212 Views, 10 Replies

.dwg files mistakenly opening in Illustrator

Hoping someone can help...

I recently installed AutoCad LT 2013 on a new iMac.  (Previously, I had been using AutoCad 2011 on an older iMac without any problems.)  A few problems:

-  When I try to open a .dwg file, the file is being read as an "autocad image file" and is opening in Adobe Illustrator.  The only way to open a file is from within AutoCad.  For now, I've uninstalled Illustrator, but since I use this software, this is not a longterm solution.

-  Many of my files will only open as "read only" files even though they are not being accessed by any other computer, and are not open on my computer.

Any insight would be much appreciated.  

Thanks! 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

right click on a dwg file in the finder.  then press option.  open with will change to "always open with".  choose autocad

Message 3 of 11
maxim_k

Hi,

1. In order to be able to open DWG file in AutoCAD LT from Finder you can:

- right-click on any DWG fole in Finder, select "AutoCAD LT 2013.app" from "Open with" drop-down, then click on "change all" button and confirm.

Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 9.07.59.png

2. Where the files are, which are opened as read-only? (which disk, folder?)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks so much - very much appreciated!!  

My read-only files are located in a subfolder of the Documents folder.   All my AutoCad files have read and write privleges.  I think my problem is generally solved once I save my files within AutoCad 2013 (vs just opening and viewing them as AutoCad 2011 files).  

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I am using AutoCAD 2015 on my Mac. When opening dwg files, Adobe Illustrator is the default program when I double click to open. I know how to use right click option for selecting CAD as option. The issue is opening a file from my Dropbox. Is there a way to change default from Illustrator to AutoCAD for opening dwg files?

Message 6 of 11
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Have you tried to use "Get Info" in Finder to change the default application for opening DWG files?
Right click on DWG file in Finder, select "Get Info", than change "Open with", than click on "Change all", confirm.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you Maxim!!!

Heather Boylan Drew
Interior Designer, IIDA Associate II
bellaDESIGNSstudio
1623 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
M (804) 426-2819
E belladesignsstudio@gmail.com

"Uncovering a sense of space by creating a sense of place."
Message 8 of 11
MOOiJ-AdviesRO
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanx, This was what I was looking for!!! Tried to do it with the 'open with' --> 'other' --> and check the 'always open with' But no avail. This did the trick!! 🙂
Message 9 of 11
jean_luc_mallet

Thank you

Message 10 of 11
sofia_jimenez

Hello everyone! So I'm having the same problem where I try to open downloaded autoCAD blocks and they keep opening in illustrator instead of autoCAD but when I right click on the download it only gives me the option to "open" not "open with". I have autoCAD 2018 and a MacBook pro from 2016. I have a huge project due today and can't seem to figure this out. 

Message 11 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: sofia_jimenez

Hi Sofia,

Use "open in Finder" option, then right-click on downloaded DWG file, select "get Info" option, then see instructions here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/dwg-files-mistakenly-opening-in-illustrator/m-p...

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost