AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zooming out gets stuck

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Einstijn
69944 Views, 8 Replies

Zooming out gets stuck

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing a problem since the beginning of the autocad for mac but it is getting worse and worse.

While zooming out (scroll wheel) it suddenly stops at a certain point, while the drawing is 10 times bigger. So than i have to [zoom][all] to get the whole drawing on screen. When i zoom in again i can draw for a afew minuts and than it again cant zoom out any further...stuck again, so i have to [zoom][all] again.

I did experience this with the windows version once in a while, few times a day, but now it is every 2 minuts and its getting more and more. very anoying! Anyone knows how to fix this ? the file is now 3.7 mb so i dont think that sould be the problem

Thx in advance!

Einstijn

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: Einstijn

Hi,

This is due to the AutoCAD's virtual screen that creates after a regen. It's at a finite size & resolution. So trying to use the scroll zoom won't allow you to see outside this "screen". Also you'll find that there's a minimum detail to which you can zoom-in this way.

So answer is - it's normal. That's how AutoCAD works. Once you reach one of these "borders" it needs a regen to extend the border / provide more detail. So what you could do once you've reached this is type RE<space> to force a regen, or you can Zoom Extents.

Looks like that your current drawing file is extremely large in extents, or you work with details in drawings, that requires very close zoom-in.

You can check your current virtual screen limits with VSMAX and VSMIN system variables.

For example for new drawing, created from acadiso.dwt we have:

Command: vsmax
VSMAX = 14891.5509,12613.3613,0.0000 (read only)
Command: vsmin
VSMIN = -9927.7006,-8518.9020,0.0000 (read only)

After zooming out with mouse wheel, until it stops zoom out, I regenerate drawing:
Command: re
REGEN Regenerating model.

and now virtual screen is:

Command: VSMAX
VSMAX = 46478.7046,40635.3043,0.0000 (read only)
Command: VSMIN
VSMIN = -40073.6311,-33059.3741,0.0000 (read only)

If you subtract X and Y values of VSMIN from X and Y values of VSMAX, you will get approximate size of object that you can scroll wheel out to. In initial drawing it is 14891+9927=24818 units in X axis and 40635+33059=73694 in Y axis.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 9
Einstijn
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi maxim, Well its a set of drawings of a building about 20 meters wide, 60 meters long, 18 meters high. And i have about 15 plans of it so i use approxemetly 500* 500 meters = 500000 *500000 mm

There is a bunch of stuff around it so make it 1000*1000 meters 😉 And i use a lot of construction lines, maybe that is the problem ?

the vsmax and vsmin are in the attachement.

Maybe it is normal, but when i am like all zoomed out, [zoom all] or [zoomextends] i can zoom in for as much as i want so when i zoom in i can only zoom out 50%.  when i zoom in again and from there out, again 50% out so after a while i cant zoom out anymore, only zoom in, and thats really anoying 😛

Thank you in advance!

Message 4 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: Einstijn

So, while you zoom-in (with ZOOM Window command, not with wheel) AutoCAD Virtual screen shrinks without prompting you to regen (it prompts to regen only in extreeeeem zooming cases) - I think that is a "feature" of AutoCAD. But when you begin to zoom out with wheel - Virtual screen is already too small to fit all of your stuff, so regen - only one solution.

In this case, I think, the you have to accept AutoCAD rules, or have try not create such "huge area" drawings.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 9
a.tefov

I have the same problem!! when Im using the scroll for zooming in and zooming out auctocad says reach the limit. but few hours ago it worked  normaly. any help? tnx

Message 6 of 9
a.tefov
in reply to: a.tefov

here is a pic. this is the same message even when Im trying to zoom in.

Message 7 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: a.tefov

Hi,

At first I have to say that you are using AutoCAD for Windows, and here is a Forum about AutoCAD for Mac.

But anyway. I have fount a lot of complains about such issue in Internet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=already+zoomed+out+as+far+as+possible+autocad

Seems that sometimes REGEN or REGENALL could help, also you can check LIMITS (they should be OFF).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 9
jhoynash

That's absolutely stupid and ridiculous.."the reason it doesn't work is that it doesn't work!" Well what the **** did I pay all this money for..make a ****ing product that works!!!! We shouldn't be doing the jobs of the ****ing programmers. You had one job! ****ing do it so it ****ing works. This is true of so many aspects of this software that it's a travesty. In what other industry can you charge top dollar for a product that doesn't do what it's designed to do?

Message 9 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: jhoynash

This thread is rather old. In modern AutoCAD for Mac releases, it I'm not mistaken, since 2017 version there is no such limitation for zooming out with mouse wheel. Regents occurs automatically, without special prompt or alert. This is true if you use mouse wheel zoom outside any command.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost