AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very laggy layers drop-down menu (AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
andrewcarter
3229 Views, 5 Replies

Very laggy layers drop-down menu (AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac)

Hello,

Our office is in the process of changing over to AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac. A number of minor issues have been resolved (thanks to posts on this forum) but one issue we're struggling with that I haven't seen discussed on this or other forums is that of a very laggy layers drop-down menu.

The severity of the lag does seem to be proportional to the number of layers in the drawing (ie. in a drawing with one or two layers the problem doesn't exist), but many of our drawings have 30 or so layers in use and in such cases there's a lag of about 2 seconds after clicking on the drop-down menu to change the layer, and significant lag in hovering the mouse over layers in the menu, scrolling up and down, and changing the layer.

Changing qualities of an object via the Properties Inspector is fast and responsive and so is the layers list - it seems to just be an issue with the layers drop-down menu.

I've tried purging the files but it's made little difference. We're having the same problem on the two macs we currently have in the office. Computer details are as follows:

Mac Mini running Mountain Lion (version 10.8.1)

AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac, fully updated

2.3GHz Intel Core i5 processor

8GB RAM

On a side note, I've taken notes of a number of minor bugs we've experienced. I don't believe these are worthy of forum posts but I'm wondering whether Autodesk would appreciate the feedback or if I should just wait and see what gets fixed with the next update.

Thanks very much,

Andrew

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: andrewcarter

Oh, yes!

This is an old issue (in all AutoCAD for Mac versions since 2011)

Unfortunately still doesn't fixed...

As a workaround - I keep Layers palette always opened and I'm trying not to use Layers palette drop-down.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
andrewcarter
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the reply Maxim. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the next release.

Cheers,

Andrew

Message 4 of 6
jonb42
in reply to: andrewcarter

Sadly no joy in 2014, which is where I am at.

I found this thread which helped me: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?4342-Need-Help-Deleting-quot-Named-Layer-Filters-quot&highligh...

Apparently layer filters from older versions don't necessarily show (I was showing none) but they are still there.

I pasted the script (long version) into notepad, saved as layerfilterspurge.lsp, used command "appload" to load it in autocad, entered command "LFD", chose to delete all - and now the dropdown is much faster.

Strange but true.

- Jon B

Message 5 of 6
jonb42
in reply to: jonb42

Update: apparently the speed increase was temporary. I don't notice it anymore anyway, and I've tried running the script again... So still waiting for an answer!

Message 6 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: jonb42

Hi Jon,

OP in his original post means the slow speed in Layers palette drop down list in situation when the number of layers in the drawing is larger than approx. ten. And that is the fact - this defect is still here in AutoCAD for Mac. And there i stills no workaround.
As about Layer filters (groups) - AutoCAD now has build-in solution for removing them in case there are a lot of them in drawing. Just set system variable LAYERFILTERALERT=3 and open the drawing with large number of filters. You will get an alert dialog about removing layer groups.

docs.autodesk.com/ACDMACLT/2013/ENU/filesACRMacLT/GUID-7787698E-ADFF-46D1-B096-944103AC90A5.htm

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost