AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
aploporto
16385 Views, 5 Replies

Units?

I am quite confused:  I have drawings units set to inches, but i am unable to type any symbols in relation to a dimension.  I can only enter in straight numbers.  for instance:

i CAN type:  36

i CANNOT type:  3'  or  36"

Obviously having to write every unit in straight inches is extremely tedious.  i should be able to type 1.5' and come out with a line that is 18" long.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BernardMadoff
in reply to: aploporto

go metric.........

from the HELP

Length

Specifies the current unit of measurement and the precision for the current units.

Type

Sets the current format for units of measure. The values include Architectural, Decimal, Engineering, Fractional, and Scientific. The Engineering and Architectural formats produce feet-and-inches displays and assume that each drawing unit represents one inch. The other formats can represent any real-world unit.

Precision

Sets the number of decimal places or fractional size displayed for linear measurements.

Message 3 of 6
maxim_k

Hi aploporto,

I'm from "metric" world, and don't use Imperial units in my daily work.

But if you set units in you DWG file to "Architectural" or "Engineering" you can input distances in any of these formats:

1.5' (one and a half feet) or 18" (eighteen inches); 36" (thirty-six inches) or 6' (six feet) and so on.

As for Dimension style, if you want to see only inches in dimension text, setup Dimension style with Unit format "Fractional" and Suffix " (go to Dimension Style -> Modify -> Primary Units tab). If you want to see 1'-6", set unit format to "Architectural" or "Engineering".

Screen shot 2010-12-22 at 10.36.24.png

So, when you draw the line from some point and type 1.5' in dynamic input - you get line one and a half feet long, or eighteen inches long.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 6
tkchaitu

You should be able to use those suffixes for feet |'| and inches|"|.  It is working on my AutoCAD mac.  If you can post the file we might be able to help you.

KC

Message 5 of 6
sander

I am having a similar problem, I am not sure about what units I am actually drawing in.  When I try to draw with  specific units i have no idea it is drawing 16' or 16". However, when I open up drawing that i have done a PC it recognizes the units.  How do I put set up the units?

Message 6 of 6
cdavies

Yeah I had that same problem. Go to Format > Units > then change to Architecture Scale

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost