AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Sweet thing about the PDF preview in AutoCAD 2013!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gregory
404 Views, 7 Replies

The Sweet thing about the PDF preview in AutoCAD 2013!

Is that you can save directly from the Mac Preview, it's like the windows right-click on the plot preview window but just using Mac preview!

-G

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: gregory

Yes, I agree. I'm using Preview for saving single drawings (when I need).

BTW - there are a lot of peoples, that doesn't like the AutoCAD for Mac preview feature, and asking to implement Windows-like preview feature. Really can not understand them...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 8
gregory
in reply to: maxim_k

It's because if you're coming from PC to MAC you've probably not used a Mac before...  Once you figure out the MAC way to do it, then you realize that it's even cooler because, usually a MAC has cooler ways of doing things!

I just saved an entire set of plans using the MAC pdf preview!

-G

Message 4 of 8
David_Stacey

The only thing I don't like about the Preview app is that it doesn't retain vector objects (which make file sizes smaller). I suspect this has something to do with the way OS X renders the files. Would be great to have vector PDFs!

Message 5 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: David_Stacey

Hi David,

I can't agree with your words:

In fact all objects in PDF output from AutoCAD for Mac, except for raster images attached to DWG, are vectors.

Another thing - how the these vector objects. are formed. Here we must say that the PFD engine in AutoCAD for Mac is still far from perfect.

BTW, when DWG to PDF output appeared for the first time in the Windows version it also was not brilliant.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 8
David_Stacey

Thanks Maxim.

I'm not sure if there are any setting you can change, but all PDF's that I create are definately a "flat" PDF image.  No vector information (lines/layers etc) is retained.

Message 7 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: David_Stacey

There are no settings for PDF output in AC for Mac.

Yes, you are right - AC for Mac doesn't maintain Layers in PDF output and it converts all text to vector objects (like Adobe Illustrator function "Create outlines"), and the last is one of the reasons for growing PDF file size.

But if you open any PDF file, created in AC for Mac in Illustrator, or if you don't have it - in Inkscape, you will not find raster data in it (as I say except for referenced Raster images, if any) - there are only vectors, you can check by yourself.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 8
David_Stacey

Thanks Maxim. You are right.
Sorry, I don't have Illustrator but I see what you mean. The main issue for me is the lack of layer output.
I should have been a bit clearer with my original post.
Thanks again Maxim.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost