AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow mouse and zoom response issue

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
ebitom
21964 Views, 20 Replies

Slow mouse and zoom response issue

Does anybody encountered a problem with mouse and cursor response, ... also zoom in/out is slow and gluing, sneaky. Almost the same problem as running Autocad under Parallels 5; slow and sneaky, gluing mouse response, ... does anybody know for help? I have 4GB RAM and GeForce 9400m NVIDIA on MBP 5.2, 17". 

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
hcueva
in reply to: ebitom

Hi

I have the same problem, I am running on a Macbook pro with 3GB, i will post all my system characteristics so you can give me some feedback if possible.

Message 3 of 21
euronegro

in preferences you can customize the zoom velocity

the slower option has breaking problems but with faster velocity the drawings regen very well.

Message 4 of 21
fidoyared

same problem with me, mouse very slow and zoom in/out too. some features are missing comparing to Windows plattform.

i think Autocad on Mac must be faster and more reliable than on Windows. i think it needs more improvments.

Message 5 of 21
ebitom

... not only mouse (or pointer) and zoom but also a pan is extremely! slow, with delays and sticky (especially with some more drawing material). As you pan with mouse, the content of drawing delays of some microseconds! Also snap is slow and not precise. It is not possible to work with this version of AutoCAD for MAC professionaly at all!! After one day I returned back to Windows version! Waiting for some improvements or any help from AutoCAD helpdesk!! Thanks, ...

Message 6 of 21
emoooe

I have the same problem, so I tried out my old wacom-tablet. And that's giving me a decent workflow. It pans and zooms smoothly. But that's not a real solution. It needs to be fixed! I'm going back to windows today to get some work done.

Message 7 of 21
edenorchestra
in reply to: emoooe

Same here MacBookPro late fall 2010 with i5 and 8gb.  Mouse and trackpad reallly disappointing for sure.  Some very, very odd behaviors going on with my system.  Disappearing mouse pointers, drawing peeling away to the sides for no reason, jumpy performance.  This product is not ready for prime time for sure!

Message 8 of 21
jgardne01

I bought the highest specs on a macbook pro 6.1 Oct 2010, 7200rpm drive, 2.8ghz i7 and 8gb ram, and yet the same thing happened to me.....

Mouse slows down, whether my velocity is slow or fast. Mouse cursor disappears etc. Let's not even talk about 3d mode, because it is like a madman looking for water in the desert. Program has even crashed. I'm impressed with Cad and even more so with the Mac that costs 3times a simple HP notebook handling CAD well in 2d and 3d. 

Are we investing in the right machines after all? 

In the Mac store, they told me that the software was the issue and that I should look for updates, does anyone know of updates of AutoCad for Mac 2011? 

Is there anything else I can do?

Greatful for any response.

Cheers!

/Jonah 

Message 9 of 21
maxim_k
in reply to: jgardne01

Hi all,

I think everyone should try:

1. Switch Visual Style to 2D Wireframe (via in-canvas Viewport control - at the top-left of viewport, or View -> Visual Styles-> 2D Wireframe). Especially if you create and edit 2D drawings.  
When performing 3D commands it should automatically switch Visual Style to 3D and back to 2D.
 2. Do not use ViewCube for navigation in complex 2D and 3D drawings! (I use this for 3D Orbit and in-canvas Viewport control to set predefined isometric views)

Under these conditions the speed of AutoCAD for Mac is becoming acceptable, even in complex drawings.

Thanks,

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 10 of 21
dominic

Check Options, System, 3D Performance, and disabled Hardware Acceleration. This immediately resolved the cursor lag. 

Message 11 of 21
maxim_k
in reply to: dominic

Hi dominic,

There is only one type of acceleration in Mac version of AutoCAD - Hardware, so you can not disable it.

Although acceLeration option of  -3DCONFIG command shows both options - Hardware and Software, the last option is only for compatibility reasons and does nothing on Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 21
dominic
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

I was refering to Autocad for windows runing on a mac through parallels.

cheers,

Dominic.

Message 13 of 21
maxim_k
in reply to: dominic

Ah,

I see, your responce was adressed to ebitom's post from year 2010

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 21
enquires

With VM Fusionware you need to untick the "gaming" mouse preferrence in the settings otherwise the mouse function does all kinds of funny things.

Message 15 of 21
onebayben

Hi I had the same problem and think I have sorted the slow delaying snapping, panning, spinny coloured wheel frustrating situation.....on my all new mac and autocad. Lt for mac....having spent considerable money updating i feel like i have been hoodwinked by both apple and autodesk......of course it will run cad blah blah yea right half baked software not fit for professional use. Anyway.....my fix is this not ideal.....but works....so far.

Was running autocad 2004 on windows moved all files to mac.....opening up files on mac lt autocad....wow so easy.....this is great........hmmmmmm.........cad files for 2004 windows open but not fully compatible.......ie laggy mouse etc etc

SOLUTION.......open up your CAD 2004 drawing.......copy it......and paste into a newly opened mac lt doc........no more lag.

Why could autodesk the reseller or apple tell me this???? Testing not done fully.......!!!!!

Message 16 of 21
maxim_k
in reply to: onebayben

Hi,

I'm just curious how did you perform such task: copy data from AutoCAD for Windows (2004) and paste it to AutoCAD for Mac? Does clipboard on your Mac allow such operations - I mean AutoCAD specific data exchange between virtual machine and Mac OS? I'm assuming that you run AutoCAD 2004 inside virtual machine on your Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 21
onebayben
in reply to: maxim_k

I mean that i opened up the .dwg file that was drawn in windows 2004, inside mac lt......and copied from that file, pasting into a new drawing file.....obviously not perfect but the drawing snapping etc works like a dream. I assume that you can do this function in mac lt and you can perform this operation.

Hope this helps took me a month to work it out, there should be a converted program written to batch change.....its a case of opening up a drawing copy and pasting when you need it. Most of our work was born in 2004 win version. So wont have a problem with new files started in mac lt......i hope this is the case so far so good. Who knows bit disappointed with autodesk and apple......as far as i am aware vector works is the standard cad program for mac, which in no mood to learn.....running sketchup pro to do most work....trying to migrate towards that simplier graphic and free....non pro version so clients can look at models.

Ben

Sent from Samsung tablet
Message 18 of 21
maxim_k
in reply to: onebayben

@onebayben wrote:
I mean that i opened up the .dwg file that was drawn in windows 2004, inside mac lt......and copied from that file, pasting into a new drawing file.....
Ben

I see... In fact, when you copy data (AutoCAD objects) from one drawing to another some settings (AutoCAD system variables), specific to the initial file (2004 version file in you case) are not transfered to the new file, as they are stored in each DWG separately. Maybe the case is in these settings? Can not say for sure.

EDIT:

Hi Ben,

I just now remembered one more thing.

Do you have a lot Layer Groups (Layer Filters as they named in Windows version of AutoCAD) in your 2004 drawings?

Large amount of Layer Groups could considerably degrade performance of AutoCAD.

Look at Layers palette. Do you see a lot of Layer groups?

BTW: AutoCAD can ask you about deleting Layer groups, when you open file that contain a lot of them, but you have to set variable LAYERFILTERALERT=3 in order to see this warning:

Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 17.23.48.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 21
sujasabdulrasheed

enter zoomfactor in the command line and type the value as 60. you are good to go.

Message 20 of 21

In your model space view make sure to set your view to 2d wireframe.  If this is set to Wireframe or something else it will lag bad.  

[+][SE Isometric][2D Wireframe]

Should fix the problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost