AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about autoCAD functionality.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rgwhatley
951 Views, 3 Replies

Questions about autoCAD functionality.

How can I align mulitiple objects - centre, right, vertical, horizontal etc (like in illustrator, etc?) Also how do I stretch/skew grouped objects, like you can with single shapes (i.e. a box)? Also is there a way to make autocad stay on a tool instead of reverting back to the crosshairs (al la illustrator, photoshop etc.) as having to select the same tool repeatedly over and over when drawing is really slowing me down. 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
maxim_k
in reply to: rgwhatley

Hi,

Yes, AutoCAD is not Illistrator, but rather different application.

- There is ALIGN command in AutoCAD, but it works in a different manner, then align tool in Illustrator.

- And there is no SKEW tool in AutoCAD (although it is long awaiting feature). For now you can use only some tricks: as 3D rotating the geometry you want to "skew" and publishing to PDF, then you can convert PDF to DXF (using Inkscape) or to DWG (using Illustrator) and bring data back to AutoCAD.

- You can "stretch" geometry: create block from objects you want to "stretch" and insert it with different X and Y scale factors (you can then explode block)

- As you use command line to communicate with AutoCAD, you can not "stay" inside some command as you can in Illustrator or in Archicad, but you can repeat last command you just used by hitting Enter or Spacebar, this could help to accelerate your workflow.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 4
LivLuvLiz
in reply to: maxim_k

Hello, 

I am having problems with the 3d align tool.  When I select my destination points the objects move in unexpected ways. perhaps I don't understand the tool but I keep pouring over turorials and videos and I can't seem to understand why I can't align.  Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 4
maxim_k
in reply to: rgwhatley

Hi,
Which command do you mean by "3d align tool"? If it is ALIGN command, than it can works in two ways:
- as 2d align tool, when you "connect" two pairs of points by picking source an destination points 2 times, than you hit Return for the third point. Than AutoCAD asks about scaling - if you don't need it- just hit Return again- this will end ALIGN command. Source object will be aligned with destination without rotation in 3-rd dimension and without scaling.
- if you want source object to be rotated in 3D, than you have to "connect" three pairs of points. When you use 3 point alignment, you have no option for scaling.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost