AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Crash

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
Anonymous
3347 Views, 53 Replies

Print Crash

Every time I go to print, CAD crashes. 

I can get to the page setup ok, but then when I go to print it just dies.  Dialogue doesn't even come up. 

Also not being able to print to file (IE PDF or EPS) is a big problem, as is editing CTB files- are these features coming soon? 

Same for recovery manager.  Thanks to autosave not seeming to work even though it says its on and this print issue, I just lost a couple hours worth of work Smiley Sad

53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Tried reinstalling- no help, even after deleting all support files.  

Also about every other time i try to print now my whole computer freezes a minute later and has to be restarted.  doesnt even give me the option of sending an error report.  plz to help!  anyone else have this issue or a wrokaround?

Message 3 of 54
Anonymous

could this be because my specs are low on the recommended list?  Or a graphics thing?

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Please help I've crashed/frozen my computer 4 more times this morning trying different ideas.

Basicallyu as soon as i select file->print or hit apple-p I get a spinning rainbow for 10 seconds followed by autocad crashing, then 5 seconds later the whole computer freezes.

Message 4 of 54
gopalas

Actually, this system does not meet the minimum requirements. You need at least 3GB of RAM.

Sriram Gopalakrishnan
Software Development Manager
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 54
maxim_k

Hi ddvrom,

1. What kind of printers you have on your system? Which is default printer?

2. The file you are trying to print was created in AutoCAD for MAC or in Windows version. If in Windows - is there any print settings this file (I mean some Page setup)?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the replies- I thought maybe it was a RAM issue then and I just recently upgraded to 4gb of ram so I meet the requirements- sadly the problem is still happening.

It won't even load the print dialogue box, it just gives me a spinning rainbow for a few seconds and then AutoCAD crashes- and then every other time I try it the whole computer freezes.

TO answer your questions-

1.) I want to use a networked printer- the only printers on my machine are that and a PDF printer- a thing will coem up saying the defalut printer (a PDF one) is not usable and I click ok- then it crashes.

2.) It doesnt matter- at first i thought this too but even if I just open the program and draw a quick box or something in a new file and then go to file print, the same thing happens.

Any help greatly appreciated!  I really want to get rid of my virtual machine and just run natively!!

Message 7 of 54
maxim_k

Hi,

Have you tried to set one of your networked printers as default printer in System Prefs -> Print & Fax -> Default printer, (instead of PDF printer)? Or even (temporarily) remove the PDF printer from system?

And what about printing from another application?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 54
Anonymous

So sometimes now, it works.  But mostly it does the same thing.  I have tried messing with the default printer setup (I CAN get into the page setup menu, its just the print command itself that doesnt work).

For example yesterday I probably pirnted about 10 times in a row, but today now it has crashed every time I tried.

Message 9 of 54
Anonymous

and to answer your question I don't have this issue in any other programs, I can even print totally fine through autocad in parallels.

Message 10 of 54
Anonymous

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

just after i hit cmd+p

i see a warning:

Adobe PDF: This plotter configuration cannot be used for one of these reasons: the driver cannot be found, the device cannot be found, or the driver has a problem. The default plot device has been substituted.

i click ok and continue, get the page setup, choose right printer and paper size.

when i hit ok, i get this error:

There was an error saving the file /Users/xx/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD 2011/R18.1/enu/plotters//HEWLETT_PACKARD_DESKJET_930C(temp).PCM

afterwards autocad freezes, i can click ok endless amount of times with no result and have to force quit.

i have tried this with different printers and file... all the same...

also saving as PDF doesn't work for me.

can someone help me solve this problem?

Message 11 of 54
maxim_k

Hi a.m.molenda,

I think it is permissions problem.

Try to change "Printer configuration Search Path" in Application Prefs:

Screen shot 2011-01-13 at 9.08.24.png

to something other, then you have by default, for example to your Documents folder.

(when you click on OK or on Preview in print dialog, temporary PCM file created in this folder)

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 54
pavanjella

Did you apply the AutoCAD 2011 for Mac Update1 ? Do you see the same printing error after applying the update?

thank you,

Pavan Jella

AutoCAD Test Development

Autodesk Inc

Message 13 of 54
Anonymous

thanks maxim and pavanjella!

changing the paths already helped, somehow they were tweaked and thus missing the right address.

i installed the update only after your advice.

everything works well now.

many thanks for your help!

Message 14 of 54
Anonymous

I use AutoCAD 2011 on a 15" MacBook Pro. My CAD was having the same problem of freezing and crashing when trying to turn into PDF and print. After repetitive tries I force quit. When I went to open it again it would not and shows this error message: 

Error Signature

Application: AtutoCAD

Version: E.49.H.62(x64)

Error: Unhandled Exception

The error report contains the following files:

crashLog.txt

dmpuserinfo.xml

dumpdata.zip

system_profile.xml

WHAT DO I DO??

Message 15 of 54
Anonymous

Hello,

Did you ever get a response to your printing question? I am having the same issues right now....

Message 16 of 54
maxim_k

Hi,

If you have a problem with an alert about "error saving .PCM file"  - Could you post screenshot of Printer configuration search path in Application Preferences?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 54
Anonymous

Maxim,

Thank you! I followed an old thread you posted and rerouted the printer through the "preferences>applications" menu. Whew! I have done the updates as well and everything is printing fine. If I was there right now I would give you a big hug!!

THX

Message 18 of 54
Anonymous

Hello !

I am having the exact same problem as a.m.molenda . I do not understand what I am supposed to do after I open preferences > applications > printer support file path > printer configuration search path.

What am I supposed to click on after this point?

Thanks so much !!

Message 19 of 54
maxim_k

Hi,

At the bottom left click on gear button and select "Change path", then navigate to desired folder and confirm it.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 54
Anonymous

hi maxim

i tried all the ways you sugessted ,changed paths ,updated the software.. nothing new i'm really depressed

i can print using any program but atocad

i tried the versions 2011,2013,2014.. i still have the same prob.

plz help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost