AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting to PDF, JPG

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
drode0
11099 Views, 37 Replies

Plotting to PDF, JPG

The biggest fail on AutoCAD for Mac has got to be the inability to plot to PDF or JPG.  OK...so you can plot to PDF.  But, have you seen the output?  There are no lineweights to speak of.  It is a mess.  I can't believe that plotting is almost non-existent in this version of AutoCAD.  How i anyone supposed to use this?  Plotting to PDF and JPG was so easy on the Windows version.  I'm so frustrated right now.  I thought I could get the Windows partition off my Mac for good.  But, it doesn't seem like that's the case.  SO BUMMED.

Take a look at the attached PDF I printed with AutoCAD for Mac.  It is completely disregarding the plot style. This is unacceptable.

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
drode0
in reply to: habashynn

I'm glad that worked for you.  I've done everything that has been posted in this thread and I still am not getting a good plot.  I just tried the plot to PDF-X just now and it still didn't produce a PDF with the correct lineweights.  I'm at my wits end.

Message 22 of 38
gale_gorman
in reply to: drode0

I contend that in the Windoze version there was a "plot device" called "Adobe" and from that point it acted exactly like a plotter and allowed you to choose a .ctb file to control line weights.

The printer dialogue does not do that, it just prints what it "sees" and that's not good.

Message 23 of 38
katierunyan
in reply to: gale_gorman

Has any had any luck in resolving this issue?  I realize that I'm responding about a year after the discussion started.  I have yet to be able to plot to PDF and have my lineweights come through.  Either I scale lineweights and they come out too light and unreadable, or I choose to NOT scale lineweights and they all come out at 2 pt in Illustrator.  As it is, I've been able to edit some smaller documents by adjusting EACH line in Illustrator.  This.is.not.fun.  Unfortunately, I don't have the option to "save as Adobe PDF."  My "save as PDF" drop down only has PDF-X and PDF as options. 

I am seriously going to lose it.  This software is fairly worthless if I can't plot and share my work.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Am I missing some patch?

Message 24 of 38
katierunyan

Yup, likewise.  This thread and what seems like every other thread on this topic.  Nothing has worked.

Message 25 of 38
gale_gorman
in reply to: katierunyan

Katie,

I get notified by email when someone posts to one of my threads. I don't know how long they will keep sending but I came to the "worthless" conclusion in less than a week.

Went back to an older version on a Windoze partition in Boot Camp.

I've owned and used AutoCAD since 1986 and this is the worst release I can remember. In times gone by someone would have fixed this immediately. Time for me to retire anyway.

Gale Gorman

Message 26 of 38
maxim_k
in reply to: katierunyan

Hi Katie,

1. Ensure that you installed all AutoCAD for Mac updates from Support site

2. Never use "Scale lineweights" in Print dialig - the results would be bad

3. Assign lineweights in drawing to objects or layers, in Print -> Advanced dialog use Plot Style table of your choise.

4. Read about Plot Style tables in AutoCAD Help:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDMAC/2011/ENU/filesAUGMAC/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5faa.htm

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDMAC/2011/ENU/filesAUGMAC/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5f6f.htm

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDMAC/2011/ENU/filesAUGMAC/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5f69.htm

5. If you need to edit plot style table files, look here: http://wp.me/p10TA2-2X

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 27 of 38
maxim_k
in reply to: gale_gorman

Hi Gale,

@gale_gorman wrote:

Katie,

I get notified by email when someone posts to one of my threads.....

To unsubscribe go to Topic Options and select "Unsubscribe":

Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 16.15.08.png

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 28 of 38
TDA321
in reply to: habashynn

Hi There,

You mention that in Autocad for Mac 2011 the program uses lineweights in denominations of 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc.  In  my CTB files I create them similar to use in Autocad for PC.  using lineweights .09 to 0.7.  Do I need to edit my CTB files and assign new lineweights based on this information?  This is all new to me and I just want to make sure I'm clear on this.  Because I can't seem to print files with lineweight using my CTB file. . .

Thank you,

Janey

Message 29 of 38
msa77

IT works IT works...ok so in the posting above with all the screen shots I noticed the person choose a printer not a adobe pdf writer as the "printer"--- the window is behind another window showing advanced options.

So you choose to print, keep your printer in the window and go to edit page set-up - again printer as your printer driver...etc-

advanced to make sure you have choosen the correct ctb, and checked the plot with styles

Then do save as pdf.  So essentially you need to choose the printer to apply plot style, then choose save as pdf....

this saved me and I had to share...good luck!

Message 30 of 38

Gale,

The AutoCAD for PC version does not include a plot driver called Adobe.  You will see Adobe in the list of available printers only if you have part of the Adobe line of products (an Adobe PDF writer) installed on your comptuer.  Autodesk does not include an Adobe pdf writer.  They have their own pdf writer built into the AutoCAD for PC version called DWG to PDF.pc3.

If you installed an Adobe PDF Writer on your Mac, you would probably see similar options for plotting to PDF using the Adobe writer.  

I realize that you may not be following this thread anymore, but I wanted to clarify that issue for anyone else like me who stumbled onto this post looking for answers to an issue.  I did not want them to be mis-infomed.

Thank you,

Jennifer Hoskens

CAD-1,  Inc.

Thank you,
Jennifer Hoskens
CAD-1, Inc.
Message 31 of 38
jmartinarch
in reply to: maxim_k

Maxim,

The screen shot of your print settings is interesting in that the printer selected is a HP 450.  I did not realize there was  a driver for mac for this plotter.  (i know, slightly off topic- but do you print to this plotter from your mac?)

JM

Message 32 of 38
maxim_k
in reply to: jmartinarch

Hi JM,

The driver for HP DesignJet 450 for Mac really exists, here:

Gutenprint and Gimp-Print for Mac OS X (10.2 through 10.8 and later)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 33 of 38
jmartinarch
in reply to: maxim_k

Maxim

Thanks a million.  I tried it and it worked.  Very easy.  The quality is not as good as when printing from my

windows machine with the HP driver, but it works.

Thanks again,

John

Message 34 of 38

Jennifer, The intent of the original thread was not to choose an Adobe plotter but rather have the ability to use plot styles like we did for years. Plot styles can be a .ctb file allowing the user to plot lines according to entity color. The way it stands now everything gets the same width. I started years ago when we used pen plotters and most had a carousel for 8 pens. That was so we could plot different line widths just as we did when we were drawing with pencils or pens on vellum. Gale Gorman Houston
Message 35 of 38
David_Stacey

Gale,
Which version of AutoCAD for Mac do you have? The current version does support CTB files and you can assign line weights as per the Windows version.
Output to PDF retains line weight information.
Message 36 of 38
maxim_k
in reply to: David_Stacey

Hi David,

Do not worry, please, - complaints of inability to assign lineweights through the CTB files - is Gale's "fad".  It is impossible to bring round him.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 37 of 38
David_Stacey

Thanks Maxim. Noted
Message 38 of 38
BonziRafer

convert PDF files to JPEG, PNG, TIFF images

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost