AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My software won't accept inches

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
michellecuff
581 Views, 4 Replies

My software won't accept inches

Hi there,

I'm new to AutoCad for Mac and haven't used the (PC) software for about 20 years. I am trying to do something so simple -- an architectural floorplan of a powder room. I have my object snap on and want to just enter the number in inches to create the outside walls. When I just enter numbers, the numbers end up being dimensioned as feet, not inches. Example: I enter 33.25 and i get a line that is 33 feet 3 inches. If I try to enter it with the " at the end, I get a red box around the number and it won't accept it. 

I feel bad having to ask such an elementary question. I'm hoping this is just a setting that I screwed up. If anyone could guide me, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Michelle

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: michellecuff

Hi Michelle,

I think you have to setup your drawing to use Architectural or Engineering units:

From menu select Format -> Units... and set units in dialog box.

Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 19.49.13.png

The Engineering and Architectural formats produce feet-and-inches displays and assume that each drawing unit represents one inch.

You also have to adjust dimension style to use Architectural or Engineering units.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
michellecuff
in reply to: maxim_k

Yes, I was on Architectural. It's really frustrating. I changed the anotation scale to 1:1 and now I seem to be able to enter inches and fractions. Now the problem is that when I dimension something, the type and leaders and arrows are tinie tiny. My instructor said I wasn't supposed to change the font size - that adjustments need to be made elsewhere - just wish I knew where that was. I'm learning on the PC version but have a Mac at home...

Message 4 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: michellecuff

If you are using annotative dimension style, you change the scale of the elements of dimensions when you change annotation scale from Status Bar. In order new dimension objects automatically scaled to the current annotation scale you have to enable "Automatically add scales to automated objects" by pushing "button on Status Bar:

In Model space:

Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 23.20.08.png

In Layout:

Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 23.19.52.png

If you are using non-Annotative dim style, you set scale factor for dimensions in Edit dim style dialog on the Fit tab:

Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 23.23.17.png

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 5
michellecuff
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you so much for all your help! I think I got it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost