AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials

54 REPLIES 54
SOLVED
Message 1 of 55
337x3l
1789 Views, 54 Replies

Materials

I have not been able to attach materials to my parts.  The materials browser is empty and I can't get it to add materials.  

I have typed the search path to the materials file into it but to no avail.

I know it's easy and I'll feel foolish when I get the answer but until then I'm just frustrated.

54 REPLIES 54
Message 2 of 55
maxim_k
in reply to: 337x3l

Hi,
Are you really can not see any materials in Material browser? There should be only one material library- Autodesk Material library, which is collapsed, when you open Material browser at first time.
In AC for Mac you couldn't create your own materials or edit existing.
Could you post screenshpt of Myerial browser?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 55
337x3l
in reply to: maxim_k

My default drawing. How do I activate the Materials Browser?
Message 4 of 55
maxim_k

With RMAT command, or Cmd+8 shortcut

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 55
TH2015

Hey maxim_k,

Thanks for the good tip. I am obviously new, and was wondering if you coulf help me unlock the materials in my library. I am trying to apply them to a roof pannel (mat aluminum), though when I open the material browser (RMAT) all of my materials are locked. I have a huntch that I might have missed something in the instalation process, but still have no idea where to start correcting this problem.

Thak you for any help that you can provide!

Message 6 of 55
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

The materials are locked because you can not edit them in AutoCAD for Mac, but you should be able to assign materials to the objects in your drawings, lock status doesn't prevent you from material assignment.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 55
TH2015

Thank you!

And good to know. It did start lettgin me apply them after I figured out that they would appear in the usable materials box above, but it took me a minute! I appriciate your help, and I'm sure will ahve more questions in the future.

TH2015

Message 8 of 55
getae113

Hello there,

I have a quick question regarding materials. Indeed I can’t create my own materials in Autocad 2019 for Mac. I can’t edit them either because they are locked and the library is really poor in samples. This is a huge disadvantage . It ruins the whole project. The program is useless without the finishing materials. Why is that because I’m highly disappointed?

Message 9 of 55
maxim_k
in reply to: getae113

Hi Tesha,

We are all ordinary users of AutoCAD here, just like you, so it seems no one can give an exact answer to your question. But you can leave your feedback here:
https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 55
getae113

Hi Maxim,

Please tell me how do I import materials into Autocad Library. There has to be a solution. I don’t believe they left it just like that with those poor choices by default. I’m asking you because you are among the few who knows very well this program. Are there other libraries from other CAD programs compatible with this one? Thank you.

Message 11 of 55
maxim_k

Hi Tesha,

Unfortunately it is impossible to import materials to AutoCAD for Mac Material library.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 55
getae113

Hi Maxim,

And thank you for confirming there is no way to import new materials in AC for Mac. I did tried all kind of combinations but nothing worked. I will take your advice from now on. Is there a way in AC to slice a solid along a curved line, arc etc? In the end to have the shape just like the curved I used to slice it. Please let me know if you find anything. The object option in slice command doesn’t do that. It slices the whole plan and no curves. Right now I’m doing it creating another solid and using the subtracting tool, quite inefficient because it takes time. Thank you.

Message 13 of 55
maxim_k

Hi Tesha,

You cannot slice with arc, but you can slice with surface - look at the attached drawing.

I created surface from ARC with EXTRUDE command and use "Surface" option in SLICE command.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 55
getae113

Thank you Maxim. This is exactly what I was looking for. Many praises to you. 

Message 15 of 55
getae113

Hi Maxim,

I need a little help from you. I have 2 cylinders who touch each other in one point at an angle and I want to close the gap smoothly between them . I tried the loft command but doesn’t do a good job. Is there a command in AC that highlights the gap and fill it?File attached. 

My Regards,

Tesha

Message 16 of 55
maxim_k

Hi Tesha,

Is yellow 3D Solid what you want to get?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 55
getae113

I just want to close the gap between these 2 cylinders smoothly without any lines showed in Realistic View. Loft command does close the gap but a little... rough. I would like the transition to be smooth and unnoticeable when zooming the object just like a filletedge. I can’t change the angle either to make it bigger and look better when closed. It can definitely be done with two axis lines an arc and sweep a circle for the whole length. However, I’m interested if there is any command in AC to patch these two smoothly, besides Loft. I’m not interested with the solid created by the loft if this is what you mean by yellow solid. 

Regards

Message 18 of 55
maxim_k

>>>> if there is any command in AC to patch these two smoothly, besides Loft.

I'm afraid - it is impossible and primary because those two cylinders has such kind of intersection:2019-03-09_23-06-25.png

BTW, I created my yellow solid with SWEEP command.

I also tried SURBLEND command:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/E...

but I had to reposition cylinders at first (see attached dwg)

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 55
getae113

Hi Maxim,

Yes it looks better yours. I will change mines from solid to surface then, use Surfblend to gap it and change back to solid after that (hopefully it works). Thank you again for your help.

Message 20 of 55
getae113

Hi Maxim.

I have a quick question for you. Almost all my metals in the Materials Section are shown in black when applied to a solid. I couldn’t find the solution to make it show the real color and texture. Any idea why is this happening? Thank you.

Tesha

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost