I recently purchjased an Imac, I7 3.4Mhtz, 4GRam, 2GC, solid state, 2TB.
I have used autocad for almost 15+ years on PC, and I was excited at the look of the new Mac version of autocad and wanted a change, so I made the move.
After instaling 2012 trial and loading up a normal 1.5meg file, I have been having great difficulty coping and moving in autocad MAC, it is so slow that it feels like an old 386 pc !!
Either I need more ram ? or the Mac version is what it is, in any case why would you need to use it with more than 4Gram, OSX hammers even with 4gram anyway.
I dont know why but the Mac version of autocad is so slow, its actualy unusable compared to the PC version which is miles ahead in terms of performance.
One of the the most important things about autocad is its ability to rip through large files easily. moving and copying fast is also paramount, if you doint have these then you realy cant work on it in any real work environent.
Im very dissapointed.
Thank you for connecting Autodesk!
For your issue, can you first try below scenario?
1) Draw a circle. Specify the center point.
2) Move mouse.
Check if the circle preview generate is slow.
If YES, please try to change DRAGP1 value from 0 to 5000.
Ok so to sum up my rant earlier I will explain what is happening.
What I did:
Checked the Dragp1, it was set to 5000.
1. I opened up a few files sizes ranged from 1 meg to 15 meg. all files were 2010 PC format, all were clean, purged and audited.
2. Copied drawings around, say about 5 to 6 times all within model space.
3. Panned, regenerated. moved, zoomed window, in, out, extents. etc
4. Create new file within Autocad Mac, Create many circles and truetype fonts, 6 meg worth, and copy once.
1. All files opened up pretty fast, no problem there at all, no errors or messages.
2. Typed in copy command, selected drawings(no problem) pick point to copy from(Cursor very very slow hard to move to required point very annoying, major lag very slow drag and regeneration of selected data, missing data, requires regeneration), finaly with great difficulty picked point to copy to (lag, slow, regeneration of data very slow, data not visible, requires regen.)
3. Panning, moving, all zooming( Cursor very movement very slow, regeneration of data very slow)
4. Created Many Circles and truetype fonts file size 6 meg, panning, zooming (very good, like normal autocad). Copy all data once and created 12 meg file (slow cursor movement, lagging, slow, regeneration of data slow, requires regen to show data).
When I created the 6 meg size file with circles and truetype fonts no problem, but trying to crete somehting bigger than that it lagged, and when opening a PC dwg file and trying to copy drawings it lagged as well.
So my conclusion is the program cannot regenerate copy or move smoothly, it lags to the point where you cannot work.
Any thoughts welcome.
Just tried it again, it didnt improve anything not even the cursor.
It feels like it might be a graphics problem ? maybe Autocad Mac 2012 dosent support it ?, its ATi 6970 2 Gig.
I just installed 2013. Don't waste your time. I have both macbook pro and imac. Both are disgusting. Zoom in out pan absolutely terrible. Might as well boot up the old pc.
Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register