AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIA in AutoCAD Mac 2013

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
gregory
964 Views, 4 Replies

MIA in AutoCAD Mac 2013

I'm a big fan of AutoCAD Mac!  But I do need some basic things so that I don't keep running to my old 2008 mac pro with vista 64bit!

1.  How do I export to a 3DS?  I want to bring a model in Maya via 3ds because the file reference for dwg is faulty in maya.

2.  How do I insert an OLE object?  I want to keep using my Xecel schedules on my plans!  I don't want to go back to big block atribute schedules like it was AutoCAD 14!

3.  Has anyone configured an OCE printer...  I'd like to go back to printing PLT's.

Thanks in advanced,

-Greg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: gregory

Has 3DS been added to the MAC version? explore in HELP to confirm. Is STLOUT command acceptable for your needs?

OLE is a Microsoft Windows ability. Not Apple. Not Autodesk.

OCE printer come with MAC drivers?

Message 3 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: gregory

Hi,

For 3DS export you can try Rhino Rhino for OS X:

http://mac.rhino3d.com/

It is in public Beta stage and you can open DWG file in it and then export to 3DS format.

Mxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 5
gregory
in reply to: pendean

STLOUT works better than 3ds for maya!  Thanks.  I recently switch platforms and after 17 years of 3ds max and autocad, i'm now maya and mac CAD!  little bit of a learning curve but i'm enjoying it!

Thanks,

-G

P.S.  It would still be nice not to have to take a giant step backwards in diggin up my old...old...old... CAD schedules!  AutoCAD mac shoud incorporate importing in schedules from other softwares, in the future.

Message 5 of 5
gregory
in reply to: maxim_k

yep, i have that!  I just wanted to avoid another step since we already have too many!  Below is our current workflow:

1. AutoCAD to draw an accurate 3d model of the allowable building envelope by code, restrictions, and client needs.
  2. Bring model in to Maya.
  3. Draw organic complex shapes, that fit within the parameters of the information in the CAD model.  Polygon modeling is phenomenal in Maya.  just learned it last summer and i love it!
  4. Export to Rhino, the scale factor between these 3 softwares is chanlenging to manage.
  5. Use Rhino to make 2d elevations, cut sections and plans of the organic forms.
  6. Import Rhino 2d drawings to AutoCAD
  7. place 2d organic drawings into our 2d plans Elevations, Floor Plans, RCP's, and Sections.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost