AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer States Manger in AutoCad LT 2013 for MAC

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
galushle
9725 Views, 24 Replies

Layer States Manger in AutoCad LT 2013 for MAC

Hi, 

I have been searching the web and have been finding mixed resposes... Does Layer States or Layer States Manager exist in AutoCad LT 2013 for MAC? 

When I type it into the command bar it comes back as unknow... When I type it into the search command it doesn't find it.

Is it now called something different? if it doesn't exist, is there another way to acheive (creating certain grouping of layers that will "turn on" and "turn off" only in certain situations) using another command or tool?

Thanks! 

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
pendean
in reply to: galushle

Is it listed in HELP as available? Does HELP offer other suggestions?

It was not listed in HELP in LT2012 for MAC from what I can tell.

Message 3 of 25
galushle
in reply to: pendean

It is not listed in the HELP for LT2013 either.

Message 4 of 25
maxim_k

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no Layer State manager in Mac versions of AutoCAD (LT and full).

You can only use "State" option of -LAYER command to control Layer states.

For the full version of AutoCAD for Mac I created a kind of command line version of Layer State manager, but it is an AutoLISP routine, which doesn't work in LT.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 25
galushle
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for that info! I feel silly asking this... But how do I get to the state option in "Layer". 

If I understand correctly I should be typing in the word LAYER and in the command bar the following should appear in the command bar:

[?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/PStyle/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]:

I should then type State...

Well, it doesn't happen. When I type the in the word "layer" (maybe I am not even supposed to be doing that) nothing happens, not even in the command bar. If I type in the word layer I notice multiple options that include the word layer appear. However, none of these say layerstate or something similar. 

I know I am doing something wrong, so thank you in advance for your detailed response!!!

THANKS!!!

Message 6 of 25
maxim_k

Hi,

You have to type -LAYER (yes, with hyphen before word LAYER) with this option you will enter command line mode of LAYER command, which allows you to select different options including State option.
Then you will get new branch of options about Layer states (see Help for information on each option).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 25
galushle

THANK YOU!!! I was not typing in the hyphen. All fixed!

Thanks for all you help.

Message 8 of 25
awl1l

WIthout a states manager, how are MAC users to effectively use Layouts? Having to re-create the layer "state" for each viewport is time consuming & frustrating. 

I have a further question to throw out here wrt layouts & viewports. I would like to create layout tabs for each 'sheet' in a set of drawings. And for each layout I would like to have one of my borders (where I have my logo, dates, the scale, name of the sheet and other info). I would like to insert each border (the border might change depending on the layout) into the layout, BUT I don't want the border to show up back in model space. However, the only way I seem to be able to insert a border drawing as a block, is if I double click inside a viewport... and this of course also inserts the border into the model space (so I end up having bunches of borders plopped down in my orignal drawing (yuck). If I have not double clicked in the viewport, I can draw can shapes (eg, circle, rectangle etc) generally on the layout (where its not in the viewport). These shapes do not appear in model space (so its good for making notes particular to the layout). I really don't want to have to redraw the different logos for each viewport in each layout. (and for that matter, sometimes one wants a border for each viewport in the layout, and then a border that goes around all the viewports in the layout. Is there any way to do this with blocks?

I would even settle for being able to create a layer (and inserting my blocks onto it) that I can turn ON in the layout, but have turned OFF/FROZEN in model space (and to be able to do this with my autocad 2013 for MAC). 

PS:

Allow me to also vent by asking the question: why are there so many features in Autocad for MAC that are different from Autocad  for PC. Its terribly difficult for those of us used to the PC "world". And its also very frustrating when we have discussions with other Autocad users only to find out that we are talking different languages (PC acad vs MAC acad). Was this done out of a keen wicked sense of humor, or are there technical reasons?

- ART

Message 9 of 25
maxim_k
in reply to: awl1l

Hi ART,

Are you using AutoCAD LT for Mac or full AutoCAD for Mac?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 25
maxim_k

Now your question about Title blocks (borders) in Layout.

The same way as you can draw lines, create text in Layout (and not inside viewport in Layout) - you can insert blocks in Layout and this block will never appears in Model space.

Have you tried this for your title blocks?

I use blocks (Title blocks) in Layouts every time and don't have any troubles with them.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 25
maxim_k

And here is an example of drawing with two different Title blocks inserted in to different Layouts (Model space is not affected)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 25
awl1l

I am using autocad 2013 for Apple. And I am trying this -layer route without any luck. For example, I start off in Model Space. I have three layers A, B and C with cad objects on all three layers, include a block of layer B entities inserted into layer C. I go ahead and turn layer C off.. the cad entities disapear. And then I freeze layer C, and the inserted block on layer C also disapears.   I am thinking that I am now ready to create a layer state that will take on the present status of my layes (all on etc except for layer C, which is off and frozen). 

OK, now I type -Layer. Then I type state. It then asks me to choose from a handful of options (?, save, restore, edit, name, delete, export). I type save. It asks me to enter a new layer state name. I go ahead and make up & enter the name "LSTATE3OF"  (for off and frozen).  It then writes

States
On Yes
Frozen Yes
Lock Yes
Plot Yes
Newvpfreeze Yes
Color Yes
lineType Yes
lineWeight Yes
Transparency Yes
plotStyle Yes
Enter states to change

I am not sure if I need to change anything, so I just hit return, and it goes back to asking me for ?, save, restore etc. I go ahead and type ?.  It then lists the states and indeed LSTATE3OF is shown. So I am thinking that I have created this LSTATE3OF and that it corresponds to layer 3 being off and frozen. I now get out of the -layer mode. And I go and turn layer 3 on and unfreeze layer 3. I am assuming that this LSTATE3OF state, howefer, will still be on and will over rule my individual layer settings, so that layer three will still be off and frozen. Except layer 3 actually is on and is unfrozen. I am at a loss to understand this. It looks like I have created a state (LSTATE3OF) and if I even now go back to -layer mode and bring up LSTATE3OF, it indicates that it is "on" etc. So it seems like when I created the state, it didn't "take" on the layer states that were present at the time... Arghh, apple for mac, how can I use the "-layer" command to do what can be done with the layer manager? 

Message 13 of 25
awl1l

Hi Maxim. I am using the full Autodesk 2013 for MAC, product version G.55.M.108. Thanks.
Message 14 of 25
awl1l

Hi...

when I do a list in your drawing, I can acess your title blocks without double clicking inside the viewport (and if I double click, I can no longer access your titel block. This is exactly what I want to be able to do:).

So how did you manage to insert the title dwg as a block without double clicking etc? Whenever I try this, it just won't insert the block (it acts as if I have not clicked to insert (I click outside of the viewport window).   

I am using acad for mc 2013 (full autocad)

thanks

ART

Message 15 of 25
awl1l

Hi Again Maxim,

I tried inserting my dwg as a block again into the main-drawing with no luck. But then decided to create a new dwg-to-insert-as-a-block from scratch. And that one inserted just fine! Full disclosure, the original dwg-to-insert-as-a-block was created from a copy of the main-drawing which I took and deleted all the Layouts, deleted all the cad in it, drew a couple of new entities, and renamed. I didn't think that this  would be a problem, but evidentily it is for some reason... perhaps thinking I am trying to insert a drawing into itself (even though different names and different entities)?

thanks,

ART

Message 16 of 25
maxim_k

Hi ART,

First of all - about Layer States.
If you are using full AutoCAD for Mac (not LT), then you can try Layer States manager AutoLISP routine from my blog:

macacad.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/layer-states-manager-for-autocad-for-mac-visual-friendly-cli/

About Title blocks - little bit later.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 25
maxim_k

Hi ART,

Now - about inserting Title block in Paper Space.
It is not difficult. You create Layout, or use existing one. Then you have to ensure that you are in Paper Space, but not in Model Space inside viewport you have in this Layout. Now just call INSERT command and than use either block defined in current drawing (if you prepared / created it before), or you can insert external drawing as a block.
Of course you can not insert current drawing as a block inside itself.
If you have block definition of Title Block in an external drawing, than you have to use Content palette to insert this Title block, because if you will try to insert whole drawing as a block- in this case you will get block (title block from external drawing) inside another block (external drawing itself in this case).
I can not also figure out why you was trying to insert Title block with double-clicking, and why you was trying to double-click (and then have troubles with getting out of viewport back to Layout Paper Space) - so here is a simple solution:
If you are in Model space inside viewport, than type PS at the command prompt to get back to Paper Space.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 18 of 25
awl1l

HI Maxim,

You write "Of course you can not insert current drawing as a block inside itself."    and also    "I can not also figure out why you was trying to insert Title block with double-clicking, and why you was trying to double-click (and then have troubles with getting out of viewport back to Layout Paper Space) - so here is a simple solution:"

I was not strictly speaking trying to insert the current drawing into itself. But the drawing I was trying to insert had at one time been that same drawing. I do this all the time... start with drawing A (which has the correct layers/colors/linewdiths) save it under a new name, erase all the CAD entities inside the drawing, purge it etc, and then rename it. I would have considered such an adapted dwg file essentially a new drawing. However, autocad for this case of inserting a dwg into a Layout view for some reason choked on it.

And I was not originally trying to insert a title block with double clicking. It was only after finding that I could not insert it into the Layout view that I began experimenting to see what I might be able to do (i.e., first time playing with layout view). But it became clear, right away, that doing so would also put it in model space. 

thanks for the lisp layer manager suggestion (though I am puzzled why I can't get it working with the -layer command. I started off a long time ago with Autocad 2.6 and used to live off the "-" commands. 

Message 19 of 25
maxim_k

Dear ART,

Sorry for some delay in my next answer.
Let's begin with creating and setting Layer States with -LAYER command.
You done everything correct, when you created LSTATE3OF Layer State.
And here my answers to your questions:

1. When you see:

States
On                  Yes
Frozen              Yes
Lock                Yes
Plot                Yes
Newvpfreeze         Yes
Color               Yes
lineType            Yes
lineWeight          Yes
Transparency        Yes
plotStyle           Yes

This indicates which of Layer properties will be included in Layer State you are going to save, and you see that all properties you need (On, Frozen, etc.) are ON - i.e. included in layer state you are saving by default.

2. After you quitted -LAYER command you turn on and thaw all layers and you leave Layer state you just created. In order to activate named Layer State you have to call -LAYER command again with stAte option and Restore Layer state you created:

Command: -LA
-LAYER
Current layer:  "0"
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: A
Enter an option [?/Save/Restore/Edit/Name/Delete/Import/EXport]: R
Enter name of layer state to restore or [?]: LAYER3OFF
Enter an option [?/Save/Restore/Edit/Name/Delete/Import/EXport]:
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]:
Command:

Now you have your Layer State restored and Layer 3 (I believe you call it "C" before) is OFF and Frozen.

3. If you will create different named Layer States you can apply them to different viewports in Layout - just activate Model Space in viewport you want to apply Layer State by double-clicking inside it, call -LAYER command with stAte option, then select Restore option, type in the name of layer State you want to restore and quit -LAYER command by hitting Return several times.
Repeat this step for all other viewports you want to Restore saved Layer States.

Seems I answered your question. If you still have some troubles, post here, I will try to answer.

Now a few words in addition:
It is strange of me that you at first complained about absence of Layer State Manager in AutoCAD for Mac (you wrote "WIthout a states manager, how are MAC users to effectively use Layouts?") but then you don't want a solution with LMAN AutoLISP routine which I advised in my post #16 (Layer States Manager For AutoCAD For Mac (Visual Friendly CLI)). I just want to make your life easier…

Thanks,
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 25
awl1l

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for the -layer tutorial, I have that working. I am also trying to help my wife who uses Autocad2010 (PC) that has the full Layer Manager. We can now create different viewports in a layout, adjust the size of the viewport, adjust the scale, and insert block(s) 1:1 into paper space for the border. So far, so good (thanks).

I have a few more questions on using the Layer Manager.

1)  I see that I can create a Layer-state in Model space, and then "restore" it in a view port. And that if I have any of the VP layer settings on, it can over ride the settings of the restored state (useful).

2)  But it appears that if I am in a view port and restore it to say state-A, then go out and work in my model space, changing the state of the layers etc, and then go back to my Layout tab and the viewport, what layers are on/off etc may have changed. I can certainly pull up the layer manager again and restore the desire state- but this is pretty painful when one might have tens of tabs all with one or more viewports. 

--> So, is there a way, once you have all the layers the way you like them by using restore/layer manager in a viewport, to tell autocad "DON'T change anything to do with layers anymore in this viewport"

I guess that I could just bring up the layer control window in each viewport, and brute force VP freeze the layers I don't want on (and have a layer state resotred in model space with all layers on and unfrozen). But that isn't very elegant and is pretty time consuming

3)  I have played trying to create a layer state while active in a VP window... thinking that maybee a layer state created in a viewport window might stay unchanged in a VP window while one goes off and does other cad. But I found very odd results creating a layer state while in an active VP window. For example, I would create a state and then edit it, trying to turn one layer off, save it, get out of layer manager, then open layer manager back up, and it would not have saved the layer as off (this has never happened for me with layer manager in Model space)

... The short of it is that I would love to be able to use Layer Manager, get a viewport to look how i would like, and then be able to FIX (I dare not use the word freeze 🙂 the entire viewport (or the tab for that matter) for the forseable future. 

thanks again,

ART

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost