AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard keeps being disabled

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
figure1a
1045 Views, 11 Replies

Keyboard keeps being disabled

What am I doing wrong? Every once in a while I lose my keyboard functionality in AutoCAD 2012 for Mac. Can't save, use the enter key, etc. But I can still use the mouse to go to menus, etc. The only way I can reset it is to quit and relaunch AutoCAD. I am inadvertantly doing something that disables the keyboard?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: figure1a

Hi,

Could you provide step by step information?

For example:

I do so and so (call some command, open dialog, trying to print... etc.), then I loose keyboard input.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 12
figure1a
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi, I can't get it to do it on demand and I am not sure what order it happens. It just happens once in a while. Someone suggested typing PICKFIRST in the command line and setting it to 1 but that doesn't fix it.

Message 4 of 12
dsavill

The same thing happens to me. I use AutoCadLT for a few hours sometimes, then i hear this click click click click noise in the speakers and the ketboard is disabled. I can still use the ESC key and CMD-TAB and the M key workds but nothign else. Requires a reboot to fix.

This only happens in CAD, if I dont use cad for a few weeks the problem never occurs, Use CAD for an hour or so (or maybe less) and I will loose the kayboard guranteed.

Message 5 of 12
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

I can suppose that at the moment when you "loose" keyboard inside AutoCAD the application (AutoCAD) is waiting for your input in dialog box which you can not see on screen for some reason.
What AutoCAD version are you using and which OS do you have on your Mac?
Do you use some AutoCAD command, which can open dialog box just before you loose keyboard? This could be Page setup manager or something else.
You can try to reset AutoCAD options from Application tab of AutoCAD preferences (menu AutoCAD -> Preferences) in order to "repair" broken dialog box which invisibility gives the effect of a broken keyboard.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 12
dsavill

Thanks Maxim

Running AutoCAD LT 2014 (I.18.M.314) on OSX 10.9.2 on a macbook pro retina mid 2012 model

When the keyboard freezes I not only loose AutoCAD but the entire system is affected in all applications, required a hard reboot to get the keyboard back. Mouse works fine, its just the keyboard, and then its only the character set. All the function keys and controls work as does the CMD-TAB buttons etc.

I have not been able to determine if its any one command. This morning I was just doing some simple DIST, LINE, MOVE and ROTATE and it happened. It does seem to be occuring when I use the command line over the mouse.

Message 7 of 12
maxim_k

Very strange case...
So as I understand if you turn off Dynamic input everything works fine?
Do you have such behavior just after AutoCAD was installed? Or it occurs suddenly?
I think you should try to reset AutoCAD, maybe this could help to resolve the issue.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 12
dsavill

More news

I reset my PRAM. No luck. Have also reset all settings in CAD. No Luck.

However last night I was using CAD to just look over dome drawings, so no creating just zooming in and out.

It happened then, so it might be that this happens when you are holdoing down the CMD key and then using the trackpad to zoom in and out. Which I tend to do alot.

Getting very fustrating 😞

Message 9 of 12
maxim_k

Hi,

Do you have some keyboard manager installed on your System?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 12
dsavill

No nothing like that

Message 11 of 12
maxim_k

>>when you are holdoing down the CMD key and then using the trackpad to zoom in and out.
Are you sure you are using CMD button for this. The default Zoom in-out gesture is:
Option key + 2-finger drag up for zoom in and
Option key + 2-finger drag down for zoom out.

Check also if you have some special accessibility settings for keyboard in Mac OS System preferences.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 12
dsavill

Apologies, it is the OPT key.

You nailed it! When you press OPT five times in a row, you get the issue.

I am a very happy camper. Thanks so much! I guess autocad is the only app I ever press opt more than 5 times 🙂

Thankyou!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost