AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing SolidWorks 2008

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tlbtlbtlb
966 Views, 5 Replies

Importing SolidWorks 2008

I'd like to switch from SolidWorks to Autocad, mainly so I can run on Mac. However, I am baffled at importing SolidWorks files. I'm using Autocad 2013 on Mac. 

I click File / Import, choose a .SLDPRT file made by Solidworks 2008, and nothing happens. I don't see an import progress icon or error message or anything. I'm following the procedure described here:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/ACD/2012/ENU/pages/WS1a9193826455f5ff4ae1cb4e12...

I've tried with several different parts, both small and large. Attached is one of many that didn't work.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: tlbtlbtlb

Hi,

The instructions are for Windows version of AutoCAD 2012. In Mac version of AutoCAD you can only import .SAT files (and, of course, open DWG, DXF , DWT files)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
tlbtlbtlb
in reply to: maxim_k

It'd be super-helpful if the software gave some kind of error message, rather than just doing nothing.

Should I be able to use a WIndows version to do the conversion, then edit the 3D .dwg files on a Mac?

Are there a lot of other things the Mac version doesn't do? The faq (http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autocad_2013_faq_en.pdf) doesn't admit to any.

Message 4 of 6
maxim_k

@tlbtlbtlb wrote:

Should I be able to use a WIndows version to do the conversion, then edit the 3D .dwg files on a Mac?

Are there a lot of other things the Mac version doesn't do? ...

1. I think - yes, you can

2. About differences - look here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15833488&linkID=15839490

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Hello,

I too am unable to import from Solidworks (unsure which year/version) to AutoCAD 20213. I am on a windows 7 machine, and I get the same "nothing" that the original poster got. 

We acquired a company that had everything drawn up in Solidworks. We, however, just recently purchased AutoCAD and do not want to spend money on Solidworks. I need to be able to import Solidworks in to AutoCAD. How do I do that?

Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I too am unable to import from Solidworks (unsure which year/version) to AutoCAD 20213. I am on a windows 7 machine, and I get the same "nothing" that the original poster got. 

If you are running windows 7 machine, I can assume that you are using AutoCAD for Windows. So why are you posting here, in AutoCAD for Mac Forum?

Anyway, I think that AC 2013 can import SolidWorks files. I tried to import SolidWorks file attached to the first post in this topic and was able to do this in AC 2012 for Windows.

After you choose SolidWorks file to import you have to wait until importing operation is complete, you should be notified via AutoCAD notification center.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost