AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze during print in Autocad LT 2013 for Mac

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mzarchs
584 Views, 14 Replies

Freeze during print in Autocad LT 2013 for Mac

Intermittently, I've been having issues while printing.  If it does happen, it's when I'm changing the print window from within the drop-down print menu.  The original print window is highlighted, but the cursor will not allow me to select the new coordinates points and it's necessary to force quit the program.  After restarting, I'm able to change the print window, often repeatedly, until it mysteriously decides to freeze up again.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: mzarchs

Hi,

Does AutoCAD "freeze" forever in such case and you see "beachball"?

Could you try to reset Applicarion options from "Application" tab of AutoCAD Preferences dialog?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 15
mzarchs
in reply to: maxim_k

The freeze does seem forever.  The beachball does not appear, but the autcad window darkens (I believe, but not 100% sure of that) and is totally unresponsive even the "esc" key.

It only happens when I try to change the print window from the drop-down print menu, but not always.

What specifically are you suggesting I try resetting in the Applications Options?

Message 4 of 15
maxim_k

You can reset all AutoCAD options (settings) from AutoCAD Preferences dialog box. On the left side of dialog select "Application" tab, then select "Reset Application Options..." button on the right side.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 15
david.lau

My suggestion is to remove the printer.  Then save to PDF.  Then add the printer back in.  You need to use the PDF viewer.  I have seen some printer driver conflicts with AutoCAD.

David Lau
Message 6 of 15
mzarchs

Sorry that I've been away for a while on this topic.  The freeze happens while trying to redefine the print window or area from the drop-down print menu.  I need to redefine the print window because I frequently have several design schemes in a model space and would like to print them out without using the Page Setup Manager each time.  So the the freeze happens even before the option to save to PDF.  Again, the freeze does not always happen.

Message 7 of 15
mzarchs

The freeze sometimes happens when I click on the button to the right of the "What to Print - Window" button and below the "Edit Page Setup..." button.

Message 8 of 15
maxim_k

Hi,

You wrote it happens NOT always.
Does it happens in specific drawings?
Print dialog closes temporary ... and you don't see crosshairs to select window?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 15
mzarchs

Correct, it does not always happen within even the same DWG file.  At times, I can print several different windows without issue and then suddenly it will freeze.  The print dialogue box does close and the cross hairs might still be off the screen, but certainly unresponsive.  The cursor is available off the AutoCad window but nothing over the AutoCad window.  Attached is a screen shot of the freeze. 

Message 10 of 15
mzarchs

Here's a shot of the full screen after it freezes.  It does have a tendency to freeze when there is already a print in the cue, but other times it will freeze if no others are still in the cue.

Message 11 of 15
maxim_k

It is really hard to diagnose problems which are not reproducible in exact steps. Although in your case AutoCAD freezes at certain point (when you are trying to define an area to plot), but you wrote that it happens randomly...
How much RAM do you have on your Mac? What model do you have?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 15
maxim_k

@mzarchs wrote:

... I need to redefine the print window because I frequently have several design schemes in a model space and would like to print them out without using the Page Setup Manager each time. ..

As for the moment we can not get the real reason for freezes during defining "What to plot" area, here is a workaround for your problem (I think it should work):

You can create one page setup for your drawing with scale, paper size and plot style table (if any) settings.

(As I see you already done with it.)

Then you can create named views for areas in your drawing you want to plot:

Use VIEW command with "Window" option, give the name to the view, define area for view with window.

Then in Prin dialog you can select Named Model views before printing:

Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 8.04.12.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 15
mzarchs

My iMac has a 3.4GHz Core i7 processor, 8GB RAM and running OS 10.6.8.

Message 14 of 15
mzarchs

Thanks for the work around suggestion.  I'll give it a try.  Being able to redefine the window on the fly is sure more convenient, but needing to force quit AutoCad occasionally is surely less convenient. 

How do issues like this get passed along to the programmers at Autodesk?

Message 15 of 15
maxim_k

10.6.8 could be an issue, but I'm not sure, because I have 10.8

@mzarchs wrote:

How do issues like this get passed along to the programmers at Autodesk?

Look at post #5 in this topic - although David is not a developer, but I'm sure he is close to them.
Sorry for mentoring, but you did not even answer his question for month ago.

Besides, I'm sure the developers are monitoring this Forum continually.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost