AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Figuring out the scale of an imported file

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jv.consulting
284 Views, 5 Replies

Figuring out the scale of an imported file

Received a file from my client's architect, that says it is 1:100 scale. Opened the file on my AutoCAD version, and when I try to edit the drawing, my scale is all off. I am trying to do some space planning by drawing in furniture, and when I draw a line for a 7 foot sofa, the dimensions display as something lik 80 feet. I am not very proficient at AutoCAD yet, so my guess is that I have a setting wrong somewhere. Any help would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: jv.consulting

Hi,

Usually AutoCAD drafters use only one scale in Model space (default area for creating geometry in AutoCAD) and this scale is 1:1. Not sure about Imperial units, but in my Decimal practice I assume that one drawing unit in AutoCAD equal 1 mm in real world.

When we speak about Layouts (special place for composing sheets for printing), then we can use scale different from 1:1 for viewports in order to fit real-world geometry to paper sheet.

Where do you measure geometry in your DWG file: in Model or in Layout?

How do you measure it? With DISTANCE or MEASURE command, or by putting dimensions?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6

I'm in Model. The dimensions are displayed by the crosshairs when I draw a line

Message 4 of 6
maxim_k

So how do you know, that you draw 7 foot sofa, if dynamic input (dimensions near crosshairs) shows 80 feet?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 6
jv.consulting
in reply to: maxim_k

I am entering the dimensions in command line. For example, I create a rectanglar size box something 7'x2'. When I then look at it in the space (like a family room on the drawing), it is a minute little box, no where near the scale it should be.

Message 6 of 6
maxim_k

Could it be so, that the file you have from your client's architect was created as metric drawing. Then you have to convert it by scaling down to Imperial, or you have to use metric units, when you draw something in this file.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost