AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a quality PDF

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mallarddc7
2257 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a quality PDF

When I plot to a PDF from AutoCAD 2013 for mac, the PDF is of very poor quality. I have tried every angle, print quality settings etc., I even tried to save the drawings to an earlier version of CAD and create the PDF directly from Acrobat but AutoCAD 2013 for mac would not let me. Any advice on achieving a good quality PDF would be greatly appreciated. I am on a Mac Book Pro with Lion 10.7.3 and I am using Acrobat X Pro.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
info
in reply to: mallarddc7

Do you use the PDF-option in the printer-dialog from OSX? That works fine for us.

Message 3 of 11
mallarddc7
in reply to: info

Yes, I have tried jsut about every way that I know of to create a PDF, and they all have jagged lines.

Message 4 of 11
maxim_k

Hi,

- Have you checked print scale? If you are trying to fit the whole city to A4 paper, the results could be unpredictable.
- Also don't use "Scale lineweights" option in print dialog, this could lead to bad quality plots.
- Try to use Gutenprint printer drivers instead of Adobe Acrobat X

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 11
David_Stacey

Hello. I am using Adobe Acrobat X to create my PDFs and it works fine. Have you tried opening up the Adobe Distiller app and change the settings? It could be you are using a low resolution or high compression.
Message 6 of 11
info

And are you able to print correctly? I have never seen the built-in OSX-PDF-engine to fail. Can you post the PDF?

Message 7 of 11
mallarddc7
in reply to: info

When I print the PDF, the print is fair, it does not print with as much distortion as it shows in the preview. The problem is that many times I am sending the PDF, not a hard copy to clients. I am plotting mostly to a HP Design Jet 500. Attached is an example of what I am getting when creating a PDF. 

Message 8 of 11
David_Stacey

Like I said above, try editing your PDF settings in Adobe Distiller first. Make sure the compression and resolution is ok.
Message 9 of 11
maxim_k

Hi mallarddc7,

I reproduced your drawing (not all, but the main part of it) and saved to PDF from AC 2013 for Mac (Gutenprint driver for DesignJet 450) - Iron_gate-Max.pdf. You can compare it with PDF created in AutoCAD 2012 for Windows - Iron_gate-ACWin.pdf. Them are almost completely identical!

I also attached Iron_gate-DraftSight.pdf - the result of saving PDF from DraftSight. Looks more smooth, but pay attention to the file size - it is 10 times bigger.

BTW, what do you use for curved objects in your drawing? Splines? or Ploylines (Arcs)?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 11
dgorsman

Out of curiosity, what size are you printing this PDF at?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: dgorsman

I think:

one-quarter-inch-to-the-foot (1/4"=1'-0") (1:48)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost