AutoCAD for Mac General

kavgreenleas
Message 1 of 4 (120 Views)
Accepted Solution

Changing solids generated by extrude command into 3D solid primitives.

120 Views, 3 Replies
12-13-2012 07:58 AM

I'm at the beginning of understanding 3D CAD and working through the Omura/Graham Autodesk book. I was puzzled by the different way grips and Gizmos were available to me on what I thought were similar solids. After searching the user guide, I find that solids created using primitives and those created using the Extrude command have different Grips and Gizmos. Can the Solids created by Extrude have their properties changed to make them a solid of primitive origin?

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 2 of 4 (114 Views)

Re: Changing solids generated by extrude command into 3D solid primitives.

12-13-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: kavgreenleas

Hi,

Grips are different, but Gizmos are identical, because you use Gizmos for such transformations as Move, Rotate and Scale.

You can not convert extruded 3D Solid (box. for example) to Box object.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

kavgreenleas
Message 3 of 4 (112 Views)

12-13-2012 09:54 AM in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks Maxim. Still getting to grips (sorry about that!) with Gizmos. Presumably one would try to generate 3D solids with primitives if you can. I guess extrude is mostly used with non simple polylines?

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 4 of 4 (103 Views)

12-13-2012 11:12 AM in reply to: kavgreenleas

kavgreenleas wrote:

I guess extrude is mostly used with non simple polylines?

It is up to the Designer and design situation - some prefer extruded primitives because you can, for example control taper angle during or after creation.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community