AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change objects' colour / line type

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
noa.p
48984 Views, 18 Replies

Can't change objects' colour / line type

Hello,

When I want to change an object's colour without reassigning it to a different layer, the colour doesn't change, but the next object I draw will get the colour I defined. This way, I have to draw again all the objects I want instead of just changing their colours.

This issue happens also with line types.

What I do to change the colour is select the object, and in the Properties box change the colour from ByLayer to the colour I want. 

I don't know if that's a bug or if it's just like that (AutoCAD for mac is the only version I ever used), but I guess it's not supposed to be like that... Any ideas? 

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
tkchaitu
in reply to: noa.p

Select the object and change the properties.  Unfortunately you may have to carefully select each object (presuming you have may objects) to apply the changes.  This process was much easier in windows version using Qselect, where u can select objects based on a criteria.

Current object properties are the properties shown in property inspector when no object is selected.  Basically it provides the set properties for new objects.  Changing any of these properties will only affect the new objects.  All objects created prior to the change will retain their existing properties. 

Object properties are not shared parameters.  Every object has its own copy of parameters.  The only way to make them share a value is to assign Bylayer, Byblock value to them ( It can also be done using parametric equations).  The former will share the properties of the layer and later will share the properties of the block.

I hope I am making myself clear.  Let me know if you have any difficulty in understanding.

KC

Message 3 of 19
pendean

Sounds like you have PICKFIRST variable turned off.

Message 4 of 19
noa.p
in reply to: pendean

I'm sorry, what does that mean?

Message 5 of 19
noa.p
in reply to: tkchaitu

Thanks for the detailed response 🙂

I tried selecting an object and then I went to modify- > properties, but nothing happened. No window opened, nothing whatsoever. I also tried right-clicking and clicked on Properties, and again, nothing. What should I expect when I click on it?

Message 6 of 19
khedeks

Hi,

You should be able to select an object and change the color in the properties inspector on the right side of the screen (by default). If the window is already open, right clicking or using the Modify menu and selecting "Properties" doesn't do anything.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Shekhar Khedekar

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 19
noa.p
in reply to: khedeks

Yeah, that's exactly what I do, I select the object and then try to change the line colour or type in the properties inspector window, but it doesn't change... It only affects the next object I'll draw, not those that I already drew and now want to change.

Message 8 of 19
pavanjella

Hello,

What is the value of 'pickadd' ? It should be 2 by default.

thanks,
Pavan Jella

AutoCAD Test Development

Autodesk Inc

Message 9 of 19
noa.p
in reply to: pavanjella

It is 2.

Thanks,

Noa.

Message 10 of 19
pendean
Message 11 of 19
noa.p
in reply to: pendean

Thank you, I think it solved it! Which is weird, because it was already set to "1" on the first place.

But never mind that, it's working now, thanks!

Message 12 of 19
JonahPtak

The same problem followed me from ACAD 2008 to 2009... don't know how i inadvertantly toggled that one (twice) but thanks for the "pickfirst" tip.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 19
Redrider28

I have the same problem in AutoCad 2010. Do not know if this is a glitch or not, but I can not select and object and change its color. Even if I open Properties, the color area is greyed out and can not change.

The only way I have found to change an object to another color and keeping it on a current layer is by creating a line with the desired color on that layer then selecting "Match Properties" and selecting all the objects I want to be on that corresponding layer and color.

If anyone else knows how I can just select an object and change its color please help, because this way I can not use color by block, which used to be a great way to change multiple items different colors with one selection.

Message 14 of 19
maxim_k

Hi,

Are you using AutoCAD for Mac? (I ask you because there is no 2010 version in Mac AutoCAD family)
Could you provide screenshot with object selected and it's properties in Properties palette?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 15 of 19
Redrider28
in reply to: maxim_k

In the properties, this blue line is on PS_BORDER layer and has been drawn with line color by_layer. Why can I not just change the color in properties as shown here, under color it is blank. I have to either redraw the line with the new color selected or match properties to a line drawn on the same layer with the desired color? [cid:image002.jpg@01CE0F7C.B4DDF710] ALSTOM Transportation, Inc. Nicholas K. Sanchez Electrical Designer 1001 Frontenac Road, Naperville, IL 60563 Ph.: 630.369.3074 Fax: 630.369.3236 email: nicholas.sanchez@transport.alstom.com [Description: Description: Description: cid:image003.jpg@01CD0CBF.3B854910] ________________________________ CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.
Message 16 of 19
Redrider28

Image for previous replay about changing the color using properties statement...

erase.JPG

Message 17 of 19
Redrider28
in reply to: maxim_k

Using AutoCad on for Winidows XP.

Message 18 of 19
maxim_k

Are you running AC inside virtual machine? (I'm just curious why are you posting your problem here, in AC for Mac forum)
Did you get this glitch in all of your files, or just in this one?
Have you tried to AUDIT the drawing and repair errors if any?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 19 of 19
alex_muhl

SOLVED WITH DIFFERENT SOLUTION

Having had the same problem, my solution was to go to Properties, Misc, then under 'Visual Style, change it from current, to 2D Wireframe.

Hope this helps, i got lucky fixing mine.

Alex

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost