AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic line extension issue.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Jsinghur
1307 Views, 10 Replies

Automatic line extension issue.

I feel like I typed in something wrong while showing something to my boss today and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did to cause this issue. It's nothing more than extremely annoying and I just want to know what command/tool I need to toggle it off. It was easiest to just show a photo (attached) of what is going on. 

Basically, I am getting an automatic extension line inserted along the x-axis only for 2D drawings. When I am constructing 3D models I have no such annoyances. I'm positive it's something I did and just want to know how to correct this issue. It has been a few years since I have used AutoCAD so I am 'crash coursing' back into this and still haven't remembered or figured everything else out.

The image that is attached is just an example of what's going on and I just want to toggle this feature off.

Any help would be awesome. Thank you!

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: Jsinghur

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

From your screen shot I see that axis labels on UCS icon also have such "extension lines".
What Mac model do you have?
Do you have such issue from the beginning (just after you install AutoCAD) or it start only recently?
What Visual Style are you using in your drawing? What if you try to switch to another Visual Style? 2D Wireframe or Wireframe?
Without your answers I can suppose that you have issues with Graphics Card on your Mac (hardware problem) or corrupted AutoCAD installation.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 11
Jsinghur
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response.

I am running on a Mid-2011 iMac 3.4 i7 with 16GB RAM. I did not have any issues at the installation or the first few models I was working on. Now that you mention it this happened after I made a much more detailed model, but this is happening even when I start a new drawing like the image I originally attached. In that drawing I was just in a parallel perspective 2D wireframe view and those "extensions" will show up unless it is a 3D model. Regardless of the Visual Style if the object is a 3D model they do not show up. They do show up for every line drawn and in all of the 2D plan drawings. When I then shift over to layout though, they are gone. You can catch them flicker when zooming in or out during the layout process, but they do not show up like they do within the model drawing.

Everything that I keep seeing, finding, or not finding is leading me towards a hardware issue which is good to know since I am just using the trial version of AutoCAD to make sure that my hardware can handle it before my workplace purchases the premium license.

Again, thanks for the help so far.

Message 4 of 11
maxim_k

Hi,

Very strange issue.
What version of Mac OS do you have on your Mac? If you run trial version of AutoCAD I assume that you download the installer less than a month ago, so it should be the latest version - 2013.
Have you tried to reinstall AutoCAD? (Remove it with Remove AutoCAD app, remove your preferences during uninstallation and run installation again?
Could you provide additional screenshots of Layout with viewport showing Model space geometry (both 2D objects - lines, arcs, dimensions, text, and 3D objects - 3D solids, lofts, etc.)? Plus the screenshot of Model space with 3D objects.
BTW, it seems that you have Visual Style different from simple 2D Wireframe on screenshot you provided in your first post, because of representation of UCS icon. In 2D Wireframe it should be different (not colored).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 11
michaeltierney

I have the same issue a lot and have found that if you exit autocad and re-launch that will clear up the extended line issues.  Maxim is correct in that your ucs appears to be set to something other than 2d wireframe.  Could be you are using a 3d templete file?  

Message 6 of 11
maxim_k

Hi Michael,

Which OS you are using? Which Mac model and which graphics card do you have?
I'm asking about this, because I never seen such glitches, even on Mac mini with "poor" graphics card.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 11
michaeltierney

Maxim

System Bio Is:

Mac OS X  Version 10.7.5

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB

Message 8 of 11
Jsinghur
in reply to: michaeltierney

Sorry for the delayed response. Way too much work happening right now. 

My system is on Mac OS X 10.8.5. When I exit AutoCAD and restart it the issues clear up, also you're right I wasn't in the 2D wireframe view. I am wondering if these issues are a result of the AMD Radeon 6970M graphics card. According to CNET at the end of August Apple started a program to replace faulty graphics cards in mid-2011 to late-2012 iMacs with the 6970M graphics cards.

Message 9 of 11
maxim_k

Maybe the issue is in AMD graphics card in your iMac, so if your Mac fall into the range of iMacs that Apple can replace, I advice you to do so.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 11
maxim_k

Here is the link to Apple's Support article on this case:

support.apple.com/kb/TS5167

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 11
michaeltierney

This is very interesting - I will get in touch with Apple to discuss as I have a system that falls under the replacement program.  Thanks for the info!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost