AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2014 for MAC

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
betazero
5901 Views, 23 Replies

Autocad 2014 for MAC

Why is Autocad for Mac still so lacking and porly designed? I am just trying to use the trial version and I can get simple things to work...

This is my ten minute roundup of problems...I am sure there are more but I cant even think of using the the sofware until it at least has the same funtionality as Autocad 2008 ( really why isnt it to this point yet??????) 

1) I cant move the icon versions of the properties box to the monitor where I want it to be....

2) Autolisp keeps warning me if I want to use my .lsp files and I cant find anywhere to turn this warning of... I added the path to the support files so yes I want to use it... lol

3) I dont want the highlighting of objects when I mouse over but the settings menu is so light on available settings that I cant even turn it off.

4) There is a slight lag when starting commands like line. Its maybe only a half a second long but why is it there?

5) Still no dynamic block authoring???? Huh?? How can you charge 4k for this software? Isnt that one of the main differences between Autocad LT and Autocad??

6) Cant drag .lsp files onto the drawing to load them.

7) It doesnt load all the .lsp files that I have in my main acad.lsp file

😎 How do I change SDI mode? The command doesnt seem to exist... 

9) I want to lock my properties box to the side of the screen and have it autohide. It was so much better as a large bar instead of a little icon. Change this back to the old way.

10) Fullscreen support

11) How do you turn off dynamic input at the cursor ? Its so distracting...I used to have a dynamic input button to turn off but there are no buttons and no setting in the very empty settings area.

12) The tool palletes/commandline should have the option to lock to the drawing. The floating toolbars is not a MAC thing that this MAC user likes. Adobe has toolbars that attach now. So does all the new versions of Pages/Numbers etc. Its way to cluttered and annoying to have them floating. They should just autohide off to the side like autocad 2008.

13) I can be hired to help if you guys need a project manager for 2014 MAC. I have 15 years experience! Its literally the only PC software that I am still stuck with 🙂

Going to mess around with it a bit longer before I get back to work using 2008 and fusion lol. 

How are people using Autocad 2014 Mac? I mean the only people who would spend 4k on software would be Pros but this version is a lite version of the software with a pro pricetag...Sorry for being so harsh but I just dont understand it.

Thanks,

Russell

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
maxim_k
in reply to: betazero

>>> I am not able to share the file with you
That is your right.
I don't have issues that you have (nearly), just want to help you to figure out what is wrong.

BTW- AC 2008 and AC 2007 runs faster then modern releases of AutoCAD for Windows. Have you tried to work with your files in AC 2013 (14) for PC?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 22 of 24
betazero
in reply to: maxim_k

I worked with 2010 autocad architecture but no not 2013. I would expect 2013 to work at least as fast with the same exact file as a previous version. Otherwise what kind of upgrade is that? Its like buying a new porsche which run 25-50% slower than a porsche from 6 years ago but cost twice as much. I doubt they would sell too many. Especially since I am driving that "Porshe" on a different operating system on top of my native operating system thru a virtual machine.

Message 23 of 24
dgorsman
in reply to: betazero

New software is rarely faster than an incrementally earlier version short of a massive reorganization of the work processes (assuming of course that is possible).  What makes software faster or slower is mostly the hardware, which is substantially better than what was availabe with the older release (even more so if that hardware was nearing the end of its life expectancy).  Second to that is the operating system and the various standard modules it offers (e.g. what may have been a custom call to a CFG file in an early implementation is now a fully optimized in-process call to a database).  So new software on new hardware will usually keep pace with old software on old hardware.  New software on old hardware will be slow, simply because it wasn't created with that software in mind.  Old software will be much faster on new hardware for the same reasons.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 24 of 24
betazero
in reply to: dgorsman

If the speed decrease is not noticeable thats fine but lagging on line commands and basic stuff is unacceptable. Even in my cleaned out 5 meg drawing there are 10th of a second pauses. May not seam like alot but as the drawing gets more complex I am guessing it gets worse. Personally the biggest feature I want in autocad ( since its basically the CAD users pencil ) is performance. I have all the tools I need in the 2008 version. I would love to leave a couple bugs behind and move to a faster newer version. Autocad should be streamlined with every release.  The #1 priority being to have a bug free product which gets out of the way of the user. I should be able to grab it and work like a pencil. Then they can think about adding features.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost