AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad LT for MAC question

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
AVJSB
4523 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCad LT for MAC question

Hi,

I have a MacBook (running on Snow Leopard with 4GB RAM and 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo).

I want to purchase AutoCAd LT for MAC but have read many unfavourable reviews and basically don't want to buy this expensive program and find it doesn't work. I don't want to have to run 'Bootcamp' as it is very boring and tedious having to turn the machine on and off to go fromMAC to PC to MAC etc

I am self employed and money is tight so I need to be sure. I spoke to one of your re-sellers today and he said ....."Don't do it"........So, is LT for MAC worth buying or not. 

I have used the trial version before and it worked but that was before I upgraded to "Snow Leopard" ......now the trail has expired and I can't have another trial.......or can I. It would be very helpful if I could have another trial to see if it works with my upgrade.

Opinions welcome !

Thanks,

Andy

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dgorsman
in reply to: AVJSB

Most resellers are pretty generous and helpful as long as you don't try to get one over on them - I've had extended 60 day trials of a couple of products in the past.  Give them a clear explanation of what you want to do, they may give you a longer trial authorization.  If you can, bring in the laptop for them (and you) to demo it on your own hardware so you can test exactly what you need to.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 15
AVJSB
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and down load the trial version and see how I get on.

Andy

Message 4 of 15
AVJSB
in reply to: dgorsman

Hello,

Have just downloaded the trial version (again - having deleted the earlier one) but it won't open as I have had it before on this machine (although not, of course whilst it was running 'Snow Leopard') .........it says my 30 day trial is over and that I need a Serial Number and Product Key.

If I can just run it for a few days and make sure it runs OK then I'll buy it........

Any suggestions as to how I can get it to open and so test it out ?

Thanks

Andy

Message 5 of 15
celine.manca

Hi Andy,

Trial version cannot be extended.

The only option is to download the trial on another machine.

Céline

Celine Manca
Message 6 of 15
AVJSB
in reply to: celine.manca

Thank you Celine, I understand........but I only have the one MAC laptop that I use for my work !

The computer in my house is a family desktop PC.

Any chance of giving me even a temporary licence (put a timer on it if you like) just so I can check if it runs or not........I  need to be sure it works OK before spending the money, which I will do just as long as I know it works OK. Sadly the internet forums are not complimentary but I am alittle more optimistic and want to see if it will work on my machine (now I have upgraded it to Snow Leopard and increased the RAM) before purchasing.

Best wishes

Andy

Message 7 of 15
wei503

MAYBE you can try a different AutoCAD product on your machine with Trial mode. For example, if you have used up the trial period for AutoCAD LT 2013, you can now try AutoCAD 2013. If AutoCAD 2013 runs well on your machine, I would say AutoCAD LT 2013 should be also ok. Because the install/license/startup of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT are quite similar and the difference is about features in-product.

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 8 of 15
AVJSB
in reply to: wei503

Brilliant - what a very good idea - and it worked !!

Thank you .........have downloaded and so far so good !

THANK YOU 

Andy

Message 9 of 15
PECMS

Hi Andy...Im having problems phasing out Windows ACAD into ACADLT for Mac to the extent that I havent been able to drop the ACAD 2009.. It crashes, but my biggest frustration is not being able to tweak the acadlt.pgp (I overcame using archstyle font, but wasnt easy)..Im also a small consultant  that couldnt afford the 4k price on full ACAD for MAC...

Instructions on official manual (ACADLT 2013's Jan 2012 customization guide I found) were no good,

Has someone out there managed to find a way to tweak the pgp file???

Thks

Message 10 of 15
maxim_k

Hi,

Which way you want to "tweak" PGP file? Do you want to add custom shortcut for a command? Or edit existing one? Or you just can not find acadlt.pgp on Mac HD?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 11 of 15
PECMS
in reply to: maxim_k

Thks Maxim. Im trying to add keyboard shirtcuts to set it up like my 2009 full cad, ie c = copy and not circle. Ive been using it like this for so many years isvhard to change. Im strucutral engineer with a small practice Thks 787 370 8928
Message 12 of 15
maxim_k

You have to find acadlt.pgp file on your Mac HD. It is in ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AitoCAD LT Standdalone/R19.0/enu/Support folder,,and edit it in Textedit.app as described in Help documentation (Help->Customization Guide->Basic Customization->Create Command Aliases

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 13 of 15
PECMS
in reply to: maxim_k

Thks. Ill try. Very kind of you 787 370 8928
Message 14 of 15
rtdunn

I am just about to complete a 30 day trial of Aotucad LT 2014 running on a MacBook Pro with Mavericks. Not sure if there is some problem with the files and multiple xrefs I am trying to work on; maybe they are corrupt, but I find LT 2014 version quite unstable . I have trouble saving, attaching and loading xrefs. Very frequently my MacBook gets very hot. After a month trial, I can say I have actually accomplished almost nothing on this software and it is frustrating to stare at the spinning wheels not knowing whether the program will eventually crash or actually save my work successfully. I would be interested to try LT 2015 if allowed. This software is expensive for me as an individual, so I really need to think about it.
Message 15 of 15

@rtdunn
I bought Autocad LT for Mac two months ago. I knew that it was very different in appearance and feel from PC full version as I had the trial version.
I agree that it is very unstable and that my MacBook Pro is struggling to run it. I have a lot of work looming, yet it seems to take four times longer to do simply tasks.
This is a huge investment for starting up my business. But my business colleagues insisted on being in the 'Apple Garden'. I hope the upgrade to 2015 is a marked improvement, that the gaps between the two platforms is narrowed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost